Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia lands commitment from Stanford tight end Benjamin Yurosek

SystemSystem Posts: 10,680 admin
edited February 9 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia lands commitment from Stanford tight end Benjamin Yurosek

ATHENS — Georgia isn’t done making additions via the transfer portal, as the Bulldogs have added Stanford tight end Benjamin Yurosek.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 9

"With Yurosek joining the team, Georgia will be at 90 scholarship players. That number must get under 85 by the start of fall camp in August."

This is probably a stup!d question, but if he's graduated why does he need a scholarship?

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 9

You bring up an interesting question. The answer is in the details of what a scholarship provides and what isn't provided to non scholarship players.

Scholarships typically (?) provide tuition (he still needs to be a student), room, board, tutoring, stipend, training table, medical insurance(?), access to medical treatment on the university, and ???

That is why Mike Griffith's comment that "85 doesn't matter anymore" was foolish. Sure an NIL deal can pay for all that. But what would be better? Have somebody else pay for all that AND get NIL or just get NIL?

Having a scholarship means more privileges (some mentioned above) than a walk on player.

The other question is "who are the 5 that are leaving after the spring?" WR, RB, OL and TE all seem like heavy rooms.

I like this addition considering the lack of experience in the TE room. This guy had some productive years playing for Stanford. What's more is the addition of an experienced TE, when UGA has 5 TE's already in the room, is indicative of what UGA coaches think of having experience on the field vs inexperience.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yurosek was a great addition for the simple reason the he takes away pressure from Oscar to be BB 2.0......with time Oscar will come close. Yurosek is a big target over the middle and he doesn't mind hits.....he's also good at adding yards after.....He also keeps the level of competition to the high standard BB established......as far as who will hit the TP or surrender their scholarship....look at the WR and the DB rooms....there are seniors that make enough NIL riches to make way for the young guys, I really don't see the TP come in play more than 1 or 2???

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guy is defintely just a receiver, pretty spindly legged. Good hands , just average looking speed. Puzzling unless there are anticipated transfers coming up.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

I think that in this case where a scholarship player is being added that only has one year of eligibility remaining, I wouldn’t want to lose a really good scholarship player to the portal who has 3 or 4 years of eligibility remaining. I believe this move adds value to the program if he replaces a Senior WR on scholarship who just hasn’t played to his potential. Regardless of what I think, they still have to get down to 85 and I’m sure CKS and staff are thinking several of steps ahead of me!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not really an explanation. Just a little more information.

I agree that hopefully bringing in a TE w/1 yr of eligibility doesn't cost another TE (Spurlin). UGA also has 2 TE's committed for '25. What UGA doesn't have for '24 is a lot of experience at TE. Especially if Delp would get hurt.

So it does add value in that this guy has done it at the P5 level. You are on to something with the upper classmen guys that haven't progressed to starter. Those guys typically move on from the program.

There are some obvious guys across the roster that have been around but don't seem to be playing much. They seem to be good possibilities to be gone after they complete spring semester academically.

I still wonder if UGA hits the spring TP for a DT, experienced QB and maybe a S or CB.