Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

4 parting shots Kirk Herbstreit’s influence on Dylan Raiola flip

2»

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Many of us agree. But remember this website is a business and the original story created a bunch reply's, which relate to $$$ for the Dawgnation arm of the AJC.

so all these writers are trying to do is stretch out a story to create more clicks and more comments- thus more $$$

AND ITS WORKING 😳😳

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, if you read both men's accounts , they don't jive. Someone lied, Dom Raoil said KH called him and Herbie said Raiola reached out to him. Both arent true. WHy lie if everything is on the up and up? Someone initiated the contact. Who was it?

I posited your first point the day the story broke that Dom was perhaps trying to smooth his son's wishi-washiness out a bit. As in when E.F. Hutton speaks(remember that old commercial) you have to listen to him. KH being the EF Hutton of college football. KH's response was bascially I told him Rhule was a great coach.and that was it. Short conversation, eh?

To me it all boils down to who made the first call. If Raiola. then no harm no foul. KH is free to give his opinion if asked directly. If KH initiates the call and said the things Dom said he did then to me that amounts to tampering(although not illegal), certainly not ethical. Mike, I would hope you would at least agree with that.

Time to put the puppy to bed. None of it matters. And no amout of covering for KH is going to change anyone's minds. WHy try?

• Options
    Born2ovrcome55Born2ovrcome55 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I would like to respectfully disagree with you Mike about the Herbstreit tampering situation. Part of Herbstreit's narrative is his supposed love for Nebraska Football and it's resurgence. However, when Dylan was a solid commit for the Buckeyes in 2022-2023 there was no contact with family or opinions given. His behavior IS suspect and he deserves the grief he's receiving.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need at least 9 or 10 more articles about this. 🙄 But my final comments on this one. I don’t trust ESPN and I don’t trust Quirky Herbie. He and his employers have Far to much sway over CFB. Herbie= OSU, Desmond= MI, McAfee= Uhm Loony University, and Saban will probably = Bama.

I don’t watch Game Day anymore since they fired David Pollack over “budget cuts” which was really code for he insulted King Saban. And I won’t watch ESPN unless that’s the channel carrying the Dawgs game, then I have no other choice.

Supposedly according to articles on here, Dominic Raiola and Herbie are close friends, but Somebody is lying. The two stories are dramatically different. But as has been said repeatedly by myself and my fellow Dawgs fans, we have Three fine scholarship QBs. And I Believe a preferred walk on that given an opportunity might open some eyes. Far as I’m concerned our Dawgs are set at QB for This season.

Kirby and his program just need to keep their eyes and ears wide open, cause there’s some mighty fishy stuff going on in CFB these days. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It’s not about DR flipping Mike. Heck, he flipped 4 times in high school. Played high school football in three different states. I expressed my disappointment here on DawgNation when he “committed” to UGA. I didn’t want a kid who had exhibited a prima donna attitude at least since he was 14 years old. That was very likely the result of poor parenting. I have always said I thought Puglisi was a better fit in every way. So, I, like many Dawg fans, was actually relieved when DR became Nebraska’s problem rather than UGA’s problem.

The point is Herbie shouldn’t be involved in any way in recruiting or advising high school kids, unless they’re his kids or someone he has a very close relationship with. Plus, the real bad smell here is either Herbie or DR’s dad is lying. Not a good look. Herbie’s so-called explanation doesn’t pass the smell test. As a former trial lawyer, I’m pretty sure I could have a jury smelling that stink fairly easily.

In addition, why would you defend Herbie? BTW, you and I obviously disagree on Herbie’s analytical skills, but to each his own. I literally mute any game he and Chris Fowler announce. No doubt Herbie knows much more about football than Chris does, but so do most commentators on this website.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was initially inclined to disbelieve the story about what Herbstreit said here. But if, as many writers on this platform contend, Herbstreit initiated the contact with the Raiola family and outright told the kid to flip, then I agree that is crossing a professional and ethical line. Unless it's his own children or a relative's, where a kid ultimately decides to attend college and play football should be of no concern to Herbstreit, certainly not enough of a concern for him to personally involve himself in a kid's decision-making process. I think, even if he were asked by a recruit or their families, his standard answer should be: "Kid, go where you believe is the best place for you." Anyway, I still believe we'll be OK, and I still think Herbstreit is a great college football analyst. But if he did what many on this thread are saying he did, he was wrong and their should be some ramifications for that (although I know there won't be). Go Dawgs!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@reddawg1

I made the same argument about who initiated the telephone call in a prior response to an earlier DN report on the conversation. I heard the Dominic Raiola account after the fact. I was listening to Paul Finebaum when KH came on the air and stated that Dominic initiated the call. Both could be true if KH responded to a left message by Dominic. If, in fact, KH DID initiate the call, he should be FIRED at ESPN!

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

When did integrity stop being so important?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 12

Lol....watching CNN & MSNBC [etal]....it leaves you scratching your head and asking yourself one question..."What is the definition of Journalist, in 2024?'. It ain't what it used to be. They all pick a side, now....and, only report information that supports the side they picked. That's NOT Journalism...it's Activism.

Is DawgNation trying to run interference for ESPN, in this situation? I don't know. What I do know...is that with all the smoke around this "story"....no self-respecting "Journalist" would be so anxious to put this story to bed, without investigation.

The public has shown their tolerance for accepting a BS cover-story....and, "moving on". As many on this website have suggested.

But....if you do that [move on] without sifting through the facts and holding people to account....you are saying that it's okay. ESPN & FOX Sports' employees can manipulate the CFP landscape at-will and with impunity.

IMO....Either CFB has rules, regulations, ethics & standards that need to be observed and adhered to....OR, Not. When it appears someone broke the rules....we have to be prepared to address it. Not move on, as if.

@navydawg .....I'm gonna leave you with words from an American Lawman & Folk Hero....[Buford Pusser]...."If you let them get away with doing this to Me....you give them the eternal right, to do the same **** thing, to any one of You.".

People need to start paying attention to how our laws & rules are being interpreted & applied....or, theiy're doomed to be oppressed, sooner or later. It's up to The People to demand accountability. But, that won't happen, as long as more than half the People are ready to "move on", before we even know if a rule or law was violated....or who's responsible.

Those "laws & rules" are put in place to guarantee fair and equal competition and treatment . There's nothing "fair & equal" about the mouthpiece for ESPN reaching out to a top-rated QB on behalf of another team or coach.

While Raiola's decision might not be a big deal to me and many other Dawg Fans....what Herbstreit did, was unethical, at the very least. And, there are many teams that can ill-afford Sports Media tampering. This kind of interference from Sports Media personalities, needs to be nipped in the bud....IMO.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes Sir !! Love that reference to Buford Pusser, a man that stood for what was right, in the face of incredible opposition and danger. His famous statement Then is just as relevant Now maybe even more so. There’s Hope though, because every day people are coming to the light of Truth. And not just in CFB related things !! Keep preaching it my Bro. !! Your a warrior for Truth !!

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

At the end of the day, Mr. Herbstreit is just another person with an opinion.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It begs the question, why should DOminic just out of the clear blue reach out to Kirk Herbstreet about should his kid go to Nebraska? How does that happen exactly? KH said he knows him(sliightly-not buddies). So Dominic is sitting at home one day and says to who? Hey get me Kirk Herbstreet on the phone I have a question to ask him about NEbraska football and about coach Rhule? That seems strained to believe that.-LOL!

THe more plausible scenario is like Dominic said KH reached out to him when he heard the rumors that Dylan was thinking about flipping. End of story.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After thinking about this whole thing, just a bit....I'm starting to think, maybe...Kirby asked Herbstreit to call Raiola...and, encourage him to sign with Nebraska.

With Beck's 2023 success and his decision to return to Athens....Raiola coming to UGA was always in doubt. Rather than waste a couple of years riding the bench, he'll be gaining experience in the Big12....not the SEC or Big10.

At the end of the day...He could eventually transfer back to Athens....unless Nebraska "shocks the world" and makes the CFP. Nothing would make me happier....I've always been a Corn Husker Fan.

You know doggone well....they don't have Lamborghini's or Maserati's in Nebraska....he'll be back. Lol

The ACC and Big12 have essentially become "farm teams" for the Power 2 Conferences [SEC & Big10]. That's where the players "not ready for Prime Time, congregate....till they "get the call".

It's like Saban and others said it would be....a system of "Haves & Have-Nots". And, it's only JUST gettin' started.