Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Toot Your Own Horn

Comments

• Options
    philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I may still hold the record for longest home run given up in Little League. There was a practice field behind regular game field, official field was 200 ft to all fences, practice field was maybe a little smaller. Opposing player was about 5 ft 10 and about 180 lbs, he hit a home run off me that cleared both fences.

I struck him out all his following at bats.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 9

Forgot to mention....around 98 or 99ish in the Marines I scored the winning TD in the NAS Pensacola Captain's Cup Championship flag football tournament. Jeff Speedy, former Kentucky QB, was our QB (he was waiting to go through flight school). He threw me a perfect quick slant that I took in for the winning TD.

This was actually a big deal because the "School's Command" typically won this tournament because they were all Navy and Marine junior officers and mostly former college athletes waiting to go through flight school. Speedy was assigned to our Marine unit by pure luck. Super cool guy with an absolute CANNON of an arm.

• Options
    edited February 9

It was! I still have the trophy. I was the QB for the team for 2 years before Speedy got there. I was happy to give him the ball. That guy was a freak athlete.

• Options

19:30 was my best ever 3 miles. I was typically a 23 minute guy. I hated running. I was a very good sprinter, usually one of the fastest guys on all my teams, but hated distance running.

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 9

@pgjackson Good story. Spent some time in Pensacola myself my Grandfather was a Navy lifer. He would have stayed in had they let him till he died.

The Naval Aviation museum there is first class.

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a XC/track coach I'm impressed by your 17:40 for 3 miles. I'm pretty sure Marine basic is not designed to produce fast milers/3 milers. So, kudos to you. I do recall breaking 6 minutes for the mile at ROTC camp after my junior year in college - in combat boots. However, I'm not at all sure of the distance on our "track" - it was simply a dirt loop. Might well have been short of 1/4 miles and, hence, short of a mile.

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is! It's relatively affordable to get basic equipment and people from just about any age group are participating. I love being able to play with my kids. You can be as casual or competitive as you want. Great way to get some exercise, work on the reflexes, and meet other people.

Easier than tennis, more like oversized ping pong. Give it a shot!

• Options
    BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After high school I let my weight get out of control and ballooned to 330. At 25 I got serious and got big into running and working out . Ran the Savannah River Bridge Run 10k, 1 year after beginning my weight loss journey, had never been into long distance running before. Ran it in 45 minutes. Was very emotional at the end and a lean 210 sexy pounds on my 6 5 frame😊

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How much impact is it on the joints - knees, hips, ankles, etc.?

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For the most part, I haven't found it to be an issue. For me, I have a permanent 2nd degree separation in my right shoulder from decades of volleyball. A few times, I've had a little pain after playing but it's manageable. The paddle is light and you don't serve overhand so that helps.

SO important to have the right shoes. Don't try it with running shoes or slip-ons, etc. You also don't need to get really expensive shoes, just basic court will do that have decent support for side to side impact. Paddle sets are pretty cheap, especially if you get something off Amazon. I'm not an expert, don't even have a DUPR, but I have noticed that quality does cost a bit more. You can get a decent set of 2 paddles and 4 balls (usually comes with both indoor and outdoor) for around $50-$75. Get graphite or composite, not wood paddles.

You really can minimize any potential damage by choosing the level of play and exertion. If all you wanted to do was get some exercise, you can stand at the baseline and just hit it back and forth with a partner or in a foursome. The more competitive you get, the chance for injury increases obviously.

There is also some strategy in terms of playing up at the net and if you are the backcourt partner having to cover a miss, those movements are more strenuous. But overall, it can be very minimal impact to joints.

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kudos to you Matt. A runner is not necessarily the one who records fast times or doesn't have to stop. To me a runner is one who enjoys running and does it consistently - regardless of times, distances and such. That you could do a 5K while pushing a fully loaded double stroller is impressive.

• Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A buddy of mine and me polished off an entire handle of jack Daniels on Sullivan’s island beach Labor Day of 1999. I’d probably not wake up from that one now, not to mention that bourbon on the beach in the summer probably violates all sorts of James Bond protocols.

• Options

I did that once my first year in the fraternity at WAZZU. That single action changed the course of my life. To this day I still can't drink brown liquor straight without gagging....

• Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I held that one down so brown is fine, but tequila is a different story. Too many straight tequila nights for me to ever touch the stuff again.