Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia DT Jordan ‘Big Baby’ Hall could be ready to measure up to 5-star expectation

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited February 15 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia DT Jordan ‘Big Baby’ Hall could be ready to measure up to 5-star expectation

ATHENS — Georgia sophomore Jordan “Big Baby” Hall looks to make one of the bigger jumps on the team this offseason.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

A championship run hangs in the balance of the defensive group improving. Last year's effort was a cringe-worthy slow motion train wreck.

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think injury slowed him down last season. If he can keep himself healthy this year, he is going to be a big part of the improved D-line.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

With the DL returnees and the incoming class the defensive line should be a lot better this season.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I Believe your right Bro., I sure Hope your right. One things for sure both the coaches and the players know it’s an urgent and important area of concern that needs Allot of work.

I Believe maximum effort will be made to improve that unit. Even now in the daily weight room work I’m confident they are being pushed very hard.

I Believe this whole team is Hungry !! I’m really looking forward to G Day so we can a glimpse of the possibilities. Go Dawgs !! P.S. I saw your comment where you worked out back in the day !! As I believe your a man of dignity and respect and purpose, I imagine you was a Beast !! Probably still are !! I to worked out and was doing pretty well, but I got tendinitis in mainly my right elbow and I tried my level best to shake it and couldn’t. Ended up having to stop lifting the iron. These days there are kittens stronger than me Lol !! Old age don’t play fair Lol !! 😂

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think too, if they can get more pressure off the edge, the more the interior will be successful. They should be better this season, not to mention CJ Allen and hopefully better coverage in the backfield. GATA!!!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Hall, a former 5-star recruit, is thought to have the talent to muscle up and provide the kind of fire support Jalen Carter once supplied behind seniors Jordan Davis and Devonte Wyatt on Georgia’s legendary “No Name Defense” in 2021."

One of the most important (and productive) things that Davis, Wyatt, and Carter had in common was that they were "mandatory double team" assignments for the opposing OL's. This freed up the Linebackers to take on the ball carrier and virtually shut down any run opportunities between the tackles. It's a tremendous advantage to have two game-wreckers on the DL at the same time (Carter and Wyatt), but it's a necessity to have at least one to eliminate the run game as a viable option for the opposing offense.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are right. After watching the '21 and '22 D the '23 D was cringe worthy. The run D from the last 5 years says it all. 1,1,2,1,18(!). That is on the DL AND the LB's. Need A LOT of guys stepping up to fix that.

W/o the protection of monsters like Davis, Wyatt and Carter the small ILB's got overwhelmed. It is going to take more than Hall stepping up. Hall and CMiller need to start living up to their 5* status. Need way more from 78, 93 and 97 as upperclassmen who have been in the program for multiple years.

Speaking of Davis, Wyatt and Carter they all had the benefit of playing with elite DL teammates. As of today, Hall does not have elite DL players playing next to him. Maybe he will in September.

More imposing, physical ILB's are needed in the middle. Sorey, RWilson, Allen and even Monden were/are all undersized guys. Might be time to let JWalker play ILB full time. A physical presence (JDJ) was missed down the stretch last season.

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

It usually works the other way around; the better the interior push the more effect the pressure off the edge. QBs hate pressure in their face and react to pressure in their face, forcing incomplete passes and turnovers. Pressure up the middle forces the QB to move to one side or the other and gives the outside rush a shorter route to the QB. QBs are taught to step up in the pocket, and good QBs know how to step up and through pressure to have clear passing windows or running lanes. That's what KS is talking about when he says game wreckers; guys that can penetrate the Oline and get to the RB or QB. Davis, Wyatt and Carter were all extremely good at re-establishing the LOS. Hopefully, one of these guys develops into that guy.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I know what you mean regarding old age; I turn 70 in May. I'm still around 220 at 6'1" and still work out, just not as long and definitely not as heavy.