Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football expected to hire Josh Crawford as running backs coach running backs coach

SystemSystem Posts: 10,477 admin
edited February 25 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football expected to hire Josh Crawford as running backs coach running backs coach

ATHENS — Georgia has found a new running backs coach, as the Bulldogs have reportedly hired Josh Crawford.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

On the surface, this makes little sense. Perhaps a little more digging by the author of the story as to why hire someone who has never coached running backs as the running backs coach? Perhaps they are concerned with Coley’s coaching ability with the wide receivers?

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am a Kirby backer, always. But these new hires are pitiful. That’s it.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good up and coming coach, coached wide receivers, but played running back in school, a good coach, can coach more than one position, running backs catch the ball too, so it should help that he knows receiving position, plus playing running back in school he knows how that works too, and I believe he's a good recruiter, and will get better being around Kirby, I like the hire.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 25

I’m definitely going to have to trust Kirby on this one. I noticed that Josh has an amazing resume on the GA HS level. Three state and one National Championship according to an article in Sports Illustrated. He was also promoted to co-OC at Western Kentucky and coached WRs who had over 10,000 yards and 96 TDs in 2 seasons. He clearly had an impact at GT this past season so I think Kirby sees him as a package deal who can have a huge impact on recruiting the state of Georgia and be an impressive offensive coach. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    PlateauDawgPlateauDawg Posts: 41 ✭✭ Sophomore

It may not all add up on the surface..but bottom line is Kirby knows what he's doing.

• Options
    DAWGHOUNDDAWGHOUND Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

This doesn't make sense to me either, hire someone at RBU who has never coached running backs. I hope Kirby didn't make this decision to hastily. Maybe he is a good recruiter and Kirby knows something that wasn't in the article. I hope for all involved that this works. GO DAWGS

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think hiring someone with more of a receiver coaching background speaks to the nature of the game today, where running backs catching passes out of the backfield are as important as backs running traditional handoff plays.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm puzzled too Spdawg.....BUT hold everything.....this hire and the Coley hire screams position experience as a player, coach or both is less important than how well will you fit the "KPS TEAM"...ie: you are motivated to listen/take direction, act professionally/foster the current culture, desire HC position by demonstrating your focus on winning as a TEAM and when asked contribute ideas.....otherwise, we'd have TE or Hines as WR coach and Hershel or TG as RB coach....always remember DAWG NATION, Kirbys plan is a winner and is being emulated by his HC disciples.....my suspicion is that in years down the road, KPS will make the Saban Coaching project look like the smallest tree in the KIRBY forest.

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm going to have to trust Kirby on these last two hires. Even if we throw Hines and Terrance out of the equation, there are certainly better candidates out there. As far as this RB coach goes, McClendon started out as a RB coach at UGA, and that didn't go too shabby. I'll take a "wait and see" approach. 

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On the surface all I can say is it appears CKS values recruiting south Florida and south Ga/Atlanta area over star power/sizzle. He wants someone who will embrace the constant grind of recreuiting who won't be looking to walk out the door for a move upward at least for a few years. Valdosta and Moutrie produce a lot of talent.

I think most of us look at UGA in the light of we could have anyone we wish based upon our last 3 years of success and somehow these last 2 hires just don't seem to move the needle of being the best possible hires. Good thing I'm not coaching.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Remember this: Marc Richt hired a former UGA safety to coach running backs. His name: Kirby Smart. Vince Dooley hired a former UGA QB to coach running backs. His name: Mike Cavan. He recruited and coached a pretty good running back. His name: Herschel Walker. I’m thinking Kirby knows what he’s doing. At least I hope he does.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have none of you really heard of someone being a coach at a position other than where their past experience may lie? Bryan McClendon anyone?

Who here had heard of Fran Brown before Smart hired him? Todd Hartley? Dan Lanning? Glenn Shuman? Good grief.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 26

Ok, this seems like a bizarre hire...the proof will be in the pudding this season for all the new assistants...and honestly I'm ready to see Bobo dial his offense up a notch. When the transfer portal re-opens that will tell us a lot. Do players stay or bolt? Assume Kirby knows what he is doing and has been stated numerous times, just because an assistant hadn't coached at a certain position group before doesn't mean he can't going forward.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

OK, we should trust CKS. I understand that. And a coach doesn't have to have experience coaching certain positions. He may still turn out to be an excellent hire. BUT, this is UGA; two time NC's in the last 3 years. Kirby should be able to lure the best and brightest coaches; coaches with lots of experience. Only time will tell, of course.

• Options
    tomdialwestervilletomdialwesterville Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Kinda strange to hire a wide receiver coach to work with running backs, a guy who's never coached running backs at the college level. Let's hope Kirby is truly Smart.