Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Opinion: Trevor Etienne fumbles early leadership role, Georgia counting on dynamic RB

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited March 24 in Article commenting
imageOpinion: Trevor Etienne fumbles early leadership role, Georgia counting on dynamic RB

ATHENS — Kirby Smart was counting on Trevor Etienne to make headlines at Georgia, but not the kind that broke on Sunday morning.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 24

To my knowledge, none of the Georgia running backs listed above did anything to damage their reputation or team while playing at Georgia.

This is not just a problem at Georgia. It happens everywhere and with just about every young person that either is or not of age to drink.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Uber is available in Athens.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thankfully he did not kill himself or anyone else. Time will tell whether he will learn and change from this kind of destructive behaviour (decisions) or not. Too many folks fail to do so and wreak havoc upon themselves and others. Hopefully he will seek help.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, did he have issues in Florida with this kind of behavior? Never heard of anything...he commented on how the structure and bond was not in the Gator locker room but it is good at UGA. So what gives? Why all of a sudden is he acting out? Was the car he was in a part of an NIL deal? Interesting.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭ Junior

TE made a very poor decision. I hope he learns from this.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 24

Most of these kids are guilty of pushing the legal envelope...in a car or in a bar...everyday of their lives. Like my 17 year old Nephew told me,..."I'm a kid...it's my job to be s.t.u.p.i.d." Lol

Occasionally one gets caught. And, I Thank God...everytime this happens...cause a lesson is learned and nobody died or got hurt bad. For every 1 that gets caught....you can figure 10 got-aways...minimum. I'm hoping, that number decreases with every arrest.

If we banned every player, that used poor judgement....there would be "no kids" to play the game. The ones with brains are busy becoming "Doctors and Lawyers and such"....excerpt from the song "Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Gators"____sang by Merle Haggard...or, was it Wayland Jennings?. Lol...I forrget.

I highly doubt, Etienne is a discipline problem...otherwise Kirby wouldn't have signed him. He's good...but, he's not "that good". I expect this to light a fire under all of em...especially Ettienne. He's growing up...just like the rest. He'll be fine and The Dawgs'll be fine.

I will say this....Athens could use a less confusing and more user-friendly transportation system...for the "Technically Challenged".

The last time I was on campus...one of the girls in The Bookstore had to give me a 30 min tutorial on the bus system(s) there and how to figure out the schedules and routes. And, my Brother and I STILL missed the bus...cause we were at the wrong Stop on the wrong side of the street. We wound up walking a mile or 2, back to the car. Lol...and, don't get me started on the parking BS.

That doesn't excuse "drinking & driving". Just seemed like a good time to grind that axe.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seems to me he's still a Gator.

• Options

The Dawgs have been trying to put a leash 'n collar, on a Gator, for years. It'll take a few months to break 'im,, but, I think Ettienne is worth the effort. The next step...like Gilbert...is up to him.

All, Kirby and the team can do...is provide him the opportunity and guidance, to succeed. Anything beyond that, is on him. For the record, I'm pulling for him. Seems to be a respectful young man....though, I'm starting to wonder about the "intelligence" part. Time will tell.

Go get em Trevor....show em what you're made of...now that the Dawg gene has been attached to your DNA. Shake it off....you're better than that.

Advice to kids, today: If you "fail to plan", BEFORE you go out....you "plan to fail". Have a ride....have a place to stay....have money....and, have contingencies. This is nothing to play around with. A DUI can follow you, your entire life, with this electronic information age. It can have traumatic and life-changing impacts. JUST DON'T Drive after drinking. It's not worth it. Sleep in the back seat, if you have to...[Nowadays...with a gun in your hand, Lol].

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's hard for me to judge TE or any other young man. I think of the times that I drank and drove when I was younger. Someone up above was looking out for me because I never got a DUI or was in a wreck. I eventually matured and stopped drinking and driving. I hope and pray that TE does the same.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want to be understanding and compassionate, considering my days in Athens. But, I wasn't a standout UGA football player who could get a ride FROM ANYONE in Athens at any time. I just keep wondering how Brock Bowers, Carson Beck, Ladd McConkey, Malachi Starks and the list goes on, can be at UGA for year, perform at the highest levels under the biggest microscopes and not get a DUI arrest or citation. But Etienne gets one within three months of enrolling at the school? All those players just can't be that "lucky." Even Stetson Bennett didn't get in trouble with the law until AFTER he had used up his eligibility. I guess it really does come down to individual responsibility. Either you have it, or you don't. Go Dawgs!

• Options

"I guess it really does come down to individual responsibility. Either you have it, or you don't. Go Dawgs!"____DallasDawg

Absolutely! Like my Grandmother used to tell us..."A hard head, makes for a soft ass."...Lol.

There's absolutely "No Excuse" for a Student-Athlete in Athens getting a DUI. I'm sure they have a "Dial-a-Ride" system in place. Where you can call an "on-call" [voluntary] teammate or coach to pick you up, any time of day or night...if you have been drinking yourself behind the 8-Ball. If you use it...it may come with mild disciplinary or counseling measures...but, nothing remotely in the neighborhood of DUI.

Then, there's Cabs, Uber, Buses....& Legs. Lol