Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia baseball gets historic 16-2 mercy-rule win, humbles No. 5 Tennessee

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited March 29 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia baseball gets historic 16-2 mercy-rule win, humbles No. 5 Tennessee

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Georgia handed Tennessee the first run-rule loss in its program history, humbling the Vols by a 16-2 count in seven innings on Friday night.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wow! Nice win Diamond Dawgs!

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First run-rule in program history? Yes!!! That's the way to step into the weekend. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is that a teen dance club DJ blasting the pop music? Yikes.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Georgia run-ruled Auburn on the road last season, 24-7, with a school-record 16-run eighth inning on The Plains."____DawgNation

Help me, somebody....where is the record? If they "Run Ruled" Auburn, last year....and Tennessee, this year...What was done that gave em a record for this year's Run Ruled game.

It appears to me, that the above paragraph, contradicts the first paragraph in the story. Unless, of course, I'm missing something. Which is entirely possible.

Seems to me, that winning by 17 runs, last year, trumps the 14 run advantage, this year.

Was it because they did it in 7 innings this year…vice, 8 innings last year? Just curious. Thanks

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Dawgs were up 8-7 starting the top of the eighth. They scored a record 16 runs, which I presume means most runs scored in one inning in UGA baseball history.

That made me wonder how did the score get to 24-7?. If you go up by 10 runs after seven innings, wouldn’t the mercy rule have gone into effect at 17-7? Do they have to complete the inning or something? Wouldn’t they just stop the game when UGA was up by double digits?
    There’s no way to get to 24 runs without hitting an eleven run homer when you’re up 16-7.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like the Dawgs of Summer are ready to roll…

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It wasn't UGA's first run-rule win. It was the first time the Vols have ever been run-ruled.

• Options

Oh...thanks! Now, that makes sense. And...Wow!

Go Dawgs! Gonna be the Year of the Dawg!

• Options

Good Question. UGA would've been the home team in last year's game. Meaning, they were in the bottom of the 8th when they hit the 17 run mark, putting em 10 runs up. Why did they continue to play past that....to 24 runs or 7 runs over the 10 run threshold.

I'm not crazy about the mercy rule. Never have been . I don't believe in giving up. 10 runs is not an unsurmountable lead...especially, if it's in the early innings. I've seen that kind of comeback a couple of times. It just seems to go against the essence of competition, to put a parameter like that on any game. Lol

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not to be a stickler for data but the image being created by UT not being run-ruled is a bit over-represented. This is only the 3rd year the run rule has been in effect in the SEC. UT has had plenty of games in their history where they have lost by a much wider margin than this but it sounds much better when stated first time in history. Still an awesome win and game (and really hate the DAWGS lost yesterday given their output) but it kind of makes it sound like UT is some historical baseball juggernaut