Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Women's NCAA basketball > all other basketball

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That Iowa vs LSU game was pretty awesome last night. WNBA is boring, as is the NBA and Men's NCAA basketball. The college women just play a better brand of the game. Much more exciting, no flopping, no showboating, no traveling, no palming, just people playing the game the way it should be played. The 3-point shooting was insane. Yes, I know the ball is smaller so it's a bit easier…but dang they were hitting it. It's just more exciting. The passing is WAY better. Nobody is trying to show off or dunk on anyone. Fundamentals at a high level.

Comments

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For a long time now, I've heard it said American HS kids practice dunking and European kids practice shooting 3's and ball handling.

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would also add if the forum can't discuss doughnuts and burgers without getting into a political debate thus closing the thread I am sure this one will now devolve into mayhem in short order.

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't say I agree with that take. Different strokes

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2

@Chopper It's not much smaller. I think the men play with a 26" ball (in circumference) and the women use a 25" ball.. And I agree PG. Women's NCAA basketball is the best.

The NBA is totally boring and predictable. Player takes a 3-point shot. Score. Crowd goes wild. Boring.

Player drives to the basket taking 4 or 5 steps without dribbling and makes a layup. Boring. Again.

And since the play is so fast in the NBA, the refs are incapable or unwilling to call traveling. And besides, that would spoil the fan experience.

And the idea of NBA players throwing down those thunder dunks? That's supposed to be exciting? Boring. Again. But that's what players practice because that's what excites fans and sells tickets.

NBA fans are so brainwashed.

• Options

Seriously, y'all should watch some of these women's games. It really is more entertaining than the men's game.

• Options
  • Options
    CantonDawgCantonDawg Posts: 230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The mens' ball is 29.5. The womens' ball is 28.5.

I agree with everything else. Having coached basketball for 23 years in the high school ranks, I love it. However, those kids see the NBA and think that they can do that. No bueno.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

29.5-inch diameter (Size 7) for men versus 28.5-inch diameter (Size 6) for women. The women's ball is also lighter, at 20 ounces, versus 22 ounces for men. This applies to High School, NCAA and NBA/WNBA.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clark, Bueckers, Watkins, Reese are all stand-outs. JuJu broke pretty much every record Cheryl Miller ever made. If she stays healthy, she's going to break Clark's records too.

On the 3-points….for the 3-point contest at the AS game between Curry and Ionescu, Sabrina used the WNBA ball but she did shoot from the NBA line. Close contest, 29-26.

On the traveling….the ladies need to pack an overnight bag as much as the men, lol. I've seen a lot that doesn't get called.

I don't know about that. I was in Phoenix a few years ago for a Kenny Chesney concert and my daughter and I were looking for something to do the first night. Our concierge gave us free tickets to the Mercury game. I honestly don't recall seeing more than a handful of men in attendance. I've never been to any other game so maybe that's not representative. Bottom line, I like college sports but the pros aren't as much fun to me, especially the WNBA.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CigarDawg Not splitting hairs, but 29.5 inches for men's basketball refers to the circumference or the distance around the ball. The diameter is about 9.4". But I get your point.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are 100% correct. I used the wrong word there, which makes huge difference, so thanks for the good catch. I am visualizing them playing with a freaking beach ball now! 😂

• Options
    philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was this always this way or when did it change? Seems like we all used the same ball back in my day 1963-1967, lol.

• Options

Been that way as long as I can remember. And a 1 inch difference doesn't seem like a lot, but it is when you handle a women's size basketball. Plus, it makes it easier to shoot.