Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What addition of Jaden Rashada means for Gunner Stockton, future Georgia quarterback room

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited April 25 in Article commenting
imageWhat addition of Jaden Rashada means for Gunner Stockton, future Georgia quarterback room

ATHENS — At last, Kirby Smart has his fourth transfer quarterback.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 25

Rashada described by one analyst as " a less fast, more polished Jayden Daniels" who also began his career in Arizona…Love the competition that Rashada will bring. I suspect he expects to be the starting QB next season and will compete ferociously for the job in 2025. He better be ready to play by Kirby's rules & believe in the culture. He was the #7 ranked QB in the 2023 Class. Stockton has improved and I expect him to likewise stick by his word and compete. I would be very surprised if Gunner transferred unless he doesn't get the starting job. I tend to believe what he has said. And like I have said ad nauseum and STILL believe, it's possible that neither Stockton nor Puglisi may ever be the starting QB for the Bulldogs (unless possibly if Beck gets injured this season).

This should be fun to watch…especially next Spring. Kirby has his transfer QB and may now have his starting QB for 2025..

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Welcome! Hmm. I don't know how to feel about it at this point based on our history of QBs. I suppose it is good to have a QB from the 2023 class to fill in that gap, but I hope that Smart gave a version talk with Rashada and had him understand the situation. This ain't Arizona State. We aren't Ohio State either. YOU will have to adapt to the Georgia way and no plays are going to be designed for you.

Expectations are king here. Rashada isn't likely to have more than a pass or two (literally) and if that causes a response of more than a shrug or a response of "of course" then he isn't going to last long here. Skill isn't enough. Both Beck and Bennett looked pretty bad their first year or two with us but both ended at the top of their game. Beck is a likely Top 5 Draft Pick. Stockton has been ON CAMPUS for over 2 years now, so his lead is considerable for the #2 spot.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Gunner's got this no sweat. An injury is this guys only way onto the field in 2024 and 2025. Unless Gunner is ineffective or has too many turnovers.

Gunner has the "IT" factor. So I stick with it will take an injury for Gunner to not be on the field ahead of all others.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m starting to not grieve too much when we lose players. Vandagriff left and we are then screwed when Maiava flipped to USC at the last minute. So what happens…..we pick up Rashada (4 years remaining eligibility) who is lightyears better than Maiava and we wouldn’t have been looking for a QB had Maiava or Vandagriff stuck around. Also, in the past class we lose the #3 QB (Raiola), but thanks in part to Dylan going to Nebraska we received a commitment from the #1 QB in the 2026 class…..Jared Curtis. This is why I no longer panic when players say “goodbye” because I know we have Kirby working his magic and things will only get better. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I got a poll for @MikeGriffith

Who will start for the Dawgs in 2026? Gunner, Rashads, Puglisi, other?

my guess would be Puglisi.

Thoughts??

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 25

Gunner be in his third year in the UGA system. Unless Rashada or Pugs beat him out in practice prior to This season start he will be the #2 guy.

In that role he will get the lion’s share of any backup time during the regular season and even possibly in playoff time. Gunner Stockton is a Very good QB it’s just that the way things have worked out he hasn’t got in real games at UGA that much. BUT he has Far more real game time at UGA in the SEC than Pugs and certainly more than Rashada.

If either Pugs or Rashada upstaged Gunner as the #1 guy in 2025 I’d be utterly shocked !! In my view the only thing that could knock Gunner out of his upward trend would be injuries. STILL I will always embrace and support whoever the starting QB is at UGA.

Correction!!!! Error on my part, Gunner Never played at SC, he decommitted from them in 2020 to commit to UGA. Sorry about that.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Same goes for Rashada.. He possibly may never start a game for UGA if he can't beat out Stockton, or Puglisi. If that happens, look for Rashada to transfer again.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 25

Dang, is this well thought-out and written... couldn't agree more! Other points, as well.

I'd like to add another one: while I realize this article is mainly about Rashada (great acquisition), I think Stockton's quote at the very end just further pumped me up. What an awesome attitude and (mature) competitive spirit by Gunner. With guys like this in the QB room for UGA, the Dawgs are tremendously blessed.

Can't wait for September :)

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 25

@navydawg and @1SICemDAWGS1….I hear ya both. I just want the QB competition. I think it is healthy to have guys compete and get better. Heck, I wish someone had stepped up and challenged Carson this season like Manning has done this Spring against Ewers @ Texas.

Rashada has got more game experience than Gunner, but Gunner has been in Kirby's system for a while now. Gunner may have the edge right now. We'll see how things shake out through next Spring. Before that I expect Stockton to remain the backup to Beck.

• Options

Just my opinion but I’d think Gunner unless he’s moved on to the NFL.

• Options

I totally agree, no matter who wins the starting job, the competition between the QB's will only make them all better QB's. If Rashada were to win out, I'm good with that, same goes for Gunner, or Puglisi. I just want to see the best guy at QB who gives the DAWGS the best chance to win..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    ChiefChief Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Gunner is the next next man up for my admiration in his selflessness and work ethic. He looked really fluid, working with the 2 squads, not easy coordinating all the team work needs of such.

All his attributes (his ability to make yards with his feet, etc) couldn't be used or seen with the quarterback protection rules in place. Thank God for low injuries in the game. It was one of the best Spring Games I can remember…Go Dawgs!

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

This means nothing to Gunner, Gunner is a dawg and dawgs work. Gunner knows he has his shot next year and he is going to take it with everything he has. Gunner will be our QB in 2025 no doubt in my mind.

• Options

@1SICemDAWGS1 @MontanaDawg That’s the ticket my Bros. !! The competition will make them All better or should. Don’t mean to be a broken record but I AM a Team First guy, however I will say right up front I’m a big Gunner Stockton fan. BUT he must Win and Keep the job, Team first.

Here’s my thing though, IF and I say IF he is indeed the #2 guy and STAY’S the #2 guy in the 2024 season, he will get the lion’s share of any backup time in games. He Already has at UGA more time than Pugs and Rashada. And he’s a very good QB in his own right. So that’s my reasoning,

I think being the #1 guy in 2025 will be his to lose unless and IF he starts playing sloppy, throwing INT’s etc.I can’t imagine Gunner having a poor work ethic though. But I’ve been wrong before. It could be that Pugs and/or Rashada will show that they are so much superior to Gunner that KS and staff will be compelled to put one of them over Gunner.

If that turns out to be the case I will Fully embrace and support which ever one that might be. BUT and IF Gunner works really hard and gives his very all in practices and games, and I sure think he will, I think the mountain will be very, very high for Pugs and/or Rashada to climb to surpass Gunner, for the reasons I’ve already stated.

With the exception of injuries which I would Never wish on Any of our QBs !! Hope you fellers have a Great summer and your families !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Very well spoken my fellow DAWG! Enjoy those nice cool mountain evenings..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 26

Good luck to the new QB, but Gunner will make it hard to move past him in Georgia’s QB rankings. Gunner was a TD machine in high school, even better than a certain other QB named Stetson Bennett. I expect we will see growth from Gunner, much Beck’s growth 2 seasons ago.

And with a name like Gunner, he has to be a star lol!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA is one of a handful of CFB programs that have a LEGITIMATE shot at winning a championship every year. The most key position on the team to be able to reach the pinnacle is the QB position.

However the QB position is a wild card. Success at the position is unpredictable. CKS has a pattern of management of the QB position. He desires experience and mistake free play before playing someone.

It is called spit ballin. He recognizes the importance and will grab anyone that will raise UGA's probability for success. Then let the trial by fire practices sort out who can utilize the many weapons at his disposal and execute to a championship level.

Being an elite program, UGA will always have the option of dipping into the TP and cherry picking a QB to plug and play, if necessary.