Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following the 2024 NFL Draft

SystemSystem Posts: 10,539 admin
edited April 29 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following the 2024 NFL Draft

Winner: The Buffalo Bills

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 29

I agree with most readers that Saban’s comments about Mims were unnecessary and hurtful, but Saban also blasted one of his own. The comments about Jermaine Burton’s immaturity were amazing and very appropriate. Not only did Saban have several negative comments, but several of the broadcasting panel also chimed-in regarding that jerk. I’m so happy Brock, Ladd and even AD finished well ahead of hotdog Burton in the draft. Looks like JB left UGA because he was 4th in line and not as he said for “development”. Ya gotta love it when things work out this way. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"A game that could’ve and almost certainly would’ve been competitive  … "

That depends what you're calling "competitive." I wouldn't go that far in imagining an Orange Bowl with most of those FSU draft picks playing. During most of the second half, Georgia had its second, third and fourth stringers in and still outscored FSU's first & second teamers (for most of the half) 21-0. Depth matters.

Yes, the Orange Bowl was a travesty. But, whether through teamwork or talent (or both), Georgia's first stringers also would have clobbered FSU's first stringers.

The Seminoles' only quality win all season was at home on the first day of the season against an LSU team that wasn't anything like the team that finished 12th in the rankings (and, no, Louisville, wasn't a quality win). The ACC was even more Group-of-Five-ish than usual last year.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 29

Winner: Amarius Mims for not taking the Saban Bait, thereby making himself the better man. Amarius now needs to put his hard hat on, get to work in Cincy to prove any other naysayers wrong. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 29

CR must have written this article before Dawgnation Daily podcast this AM. BA and Stinchcomb went on and on for 20 mins(?) about Mims. Apparently all across the NFL there were questions of whether Mims was hurt enough to come out of the SECCG or was he making a career decision. BTW, VERY common at the NFL level these days. As an example Dallas Cowboy LT Tyron Smith hasn't played a full 16 game season since 2015. Yet signed another contract this off season. By his own admission Mims said, taking himself out of the SECCG "was not my proudest moment". Seems like this is a case of where there is smoke there is fire.

That clip from the Colts GM confirms my suspicions that there was something unsaid and unrelated to on field play that dropped AD down in the draft. Attitude, interview, Wonderlic, drug test, whatever IDK. Obviously something. IF all of that was BS look for AD to have a longer and more prolific career in the NFL than WR's taken ahead of him (incl. LMcC) in this draft. With AD still on the UGA team at the time and with the success of LMcC we better understand why JBurton was compelled to move on.

The Falcon's brass apparently is tired of hearing the criticism of how they refuse to take players from one of the top CFB programs in country right in their backyard. Good luck to ZL but to view these throw away 7th rd picks as anything other token picks to quiet the UGA/Falcon fans would be to give the Falcons too much credit.

I wonder how happy KCousins would be and how much the struggling Falcon red zone O would improve had the Falcons drafted Brock Bowers at 8?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 29

"A game that could’ve and almost certainly would’ve been competitive between two of the top teams in the sport was a joke."

Hear hear. This is an important point you're making, Connor. If both teams were at full strength, FSU could have closed the gap by 4, maybe 5 touchdowns, losing by only 4 touchdowns or so. Much, much more competitive. It's important we not forget that.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Falcons are a joke. Zion is a DGD and I am glad he got drafted, but it was such a cynical pick on the part of the Falcons. Its like they are saying "see, we pick GA players (with our last pick)". Just like 2 years ago taking 2 players including Shaffer at guard instead of Jamaree Salyer. Shaffer was a practice squad player only while Salyer is starting for the Chargers. This year, player the Falcons should have taken was Van Pran in the 4th round. He would have solidified the O-line for the next 10 years. For being so close to Athens, the Falcons know next to nothing about the Dawgs. I hope Zion doesn't suffer the same fate as Schaffer, but I am not optimistic.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 1

Falcon's love taking AL guys. Falcons used a draft choice (6th) on an AL RB when they could've had DEdwards (or Milton) for free. Both McClellan and Edwards had very comparable CFB careers. Only Edwards didn't tear an ACL in college like McClellan did. And Edwards's career finished stronger statistically despite playing injured most of his last year.

If (when?) the Cousins/Penix experiment fails the Falcons will be looking for another GM and coach.