Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Details emerge following Sacovie White driving arrest

SystemSystem Posts: 11,197 admin
edited May 20 in Article commenting
imageDetails emerge following Sacovie White driving arrest

ATHENS — Speed was a factor when Georgia football player Sacovie White was arrested and jailed early Saturday morning for reckless driving, according to police.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 99nout99nout Posts: 239 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • saldivensaldiven Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

"White’s car was impounded and he was transported to Athens-Clarke County Jail. "

This was the reason for an arrest rather than merely issuing a citation. ACCPD has, for literally decades, policed for profit. In just about every other jurisdiction in the state, these same actions would result in a traffic ticket; it would be a stiff fine, but that's all.

ACCPD makes the arrest and impounds the car because impounding generates additional fees for the department. ACC has the smallest property tax base in the state; the county itself is one of the smallest in the state, and large portions of the county are owned by various governmental bodies that pay no property taxes (UGA, EPA offices, etc.).

So, ACCPD has to find other sources of revenue to pay for their SUV's and office renovations.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"when Kirby said he wanted to recruit speedsters, he sure as hell didn't mean this!" Ha-ha. Good point!

@saldiven (re: "In just about every other jurisdiction in the state, these same actions would result in a traffic ticket") : Really? He was driving at "high speed" the wrong way with a passenger's head hanging out the window. I'm honestly not familiar with how this stuff is handled by police. and we don't know the actual speed (big dif between 60 mph and 100 mph). But I'm glad ACCPD is enforcing the reckless driving strictly.

Street racing and stuff like that has been out of control in Atlanta since Covid. I gather it is in Athens, too. As we all know too well, people are dying because of this. Plus the drivers aren't just endangering their own passengers.

That said, I'm not harshing on Sacovie personally. He's, what? 19? Some NIL contract puts a 19-year-old male behind the wheels of a Dodge Charger. What could go wrong? Male brains aren't even fully formed until 26.

IMO, he'll be lucky to have the book thrown at him before something really bad happened — that is if he's wise enough to take it as a learning experience.

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 222 ✭✭✭ Junior

Some of these guys are not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 20

Thankfully SWhite was not smoking what apparently you're smoking.

From the police report, White “showed complete disregard for the safety of his passengers, himself and innocent civilians” and “posed a threat to public safety”. “traveling at a high speed” . THAT'S why White was arrested. If you think you can get away with that in downtown Athens late saturday night you just received your ACCPB education. And so did SWhite (and MANY others).

Do police jurisdictions benefit (profit?) from fining law breakers? Of course. That's part of the system that puts teeth into laws and encourages people to abide by them. Apparently you've never had a kid get caught up in one of the notorious 316 speed traps. Considering students come from all over the state and nation, Clarke County taxpayers should be thanking the ACCPD for keeping their taxes down by maximizing their ability to generate "revenue" (legally).

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just like Boot Camp, don't be in the front, don't be in the back, stay hidden in the middle and don't let them know your name…

edited May 21

I am starting to think that maybe CKS has an arrangement with the Athens PD to cut no slack with UGA players. Knowing that they will get no favored treatment . That they are likely to be arrested and embarrassed for ANY transgression. This probably keeps most of them on their best behavior while in town.

Imagine how off the chain their behavior could get if they knew they could act with impunity. Let the police be "the bad guys". Let the coaching staff be the problem solvers.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 21

"White’s car was impounded and he was transported to Athens-Clarke County Jail. He was booked at 3:04 a.m. and released on $26 bond one hour later."……….Sacovie, WELCOME to the reality of life in Athens/Clarke County, The most heavily Policed jurisdiction in Georgia and perhaps the USA…….Thankful you and others are safe…..I'm thinking the "impound" should last until you become a starter???

No judgement here, as an 18 yo senior, I smoked the tires of my 65 Mustang coming out of the AHS/now CC parking lot duly impressing two passing APD patrol cars who were friends with my Dad……I wish/prayed they would have taken me to jail rather than sending me home with my first ticket! I'm thinking your "Georgia" Dads will impress you with equal amounts of "LOVE"!

I take it that you're being a bit tongue-in-cheek about that, Dad. But I like where you're going with it … 🤣

• SWP04SWP04 Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

His bond was $26????? That can't be right . . . unless it's a UGA football player special?

Nope. 100% serious. When the penalties are severe the transgressions are not worth the aggravation.

Typically young people are like children. They will push the envelope as long as they get away with it. And keep pushing.

IF my assumption about CKS is true then he is helping these kids grow up. You know you are grown up when you accept responsibility for your actions. You mess up and there is no place to point the finger except the mirror. Better to learn that lesson with a $26 bond .

IF CKS is doing this and ACCPD is doing this they are doing these young people a favor. If you don't think so go ask Ahkil Crumpton.

I agree with everything you say — except that Crumpton's probably a bad example. He was beyond that level of help, IMO.