Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia quarterback Jaden Rashada reportedly suing Billy Napier, others over Florida NIL deal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,701 admin
edited May 21 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia quarterback Jaden Rashada reportedly suing Billy Napier, others over Florida NIL deal

At one point, Jaden Rashada was poised to be a Florida Gators, signing as a member of the 2023 signing class. Now he is suing Billy Napier and multiple people connected to the Florida program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 21

BA…..sounds like The "GOLDEN SHOE" of the year! Hopefully, Jaden will get some snaps……after Carson, puts the Gators to bed and Gunner, tucks them in!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Y'knew our new NIL world would pass crossover this threshold at one point or another: Where business and money are involved, lawsuits will follow.

I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like a pretty compelling argument. Not only did he (allegedly) suffer a large monetary loss, but the controversy also damaged Rashada's reputation by making him seem like a "troublemaker" in the eyes of some — which could in turn harm his earnings a lot of indirect ways.

Of course, I'm biased. He's a Dawg now. Plus anything that undermines the lowdown Gators is A-OK in my book!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From what I read on other sites, it sounds like he was legitimately getting screwed, but it's such a mess and then Miami is going after him for the failed $9.5m deal.

There is only one line I read elsewhere that means a lot:

"Rashada informed Georgia coach Kirby Smart of his intention to file the lawsuit, according to sources, and Smart gave his blessing"

Presuming that is correct, then all is good. It also should be stated that he transferred to AZ State with no NIL agreed upon.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Oh the days when kids signed and played sports for a scholarship… an education.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So this is what we're dealing with… Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What's the old saying unless you have it in writing….can't blame a HS kid for trusting their college coach.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

and the off season used to be so boring. 🤡🤡

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

College football is a nightmare of nightamre with the NIL BS… I'm in no way obbessed to players making NIL but for God's sake will somebody other than God step up and put Rules and Reg in place to have guard rails.

This is such an utter **** show in college football and every other college sport.

Go Dawgs and Fl is a **** show and UT is an **** orange worthless program for almost 25 years now.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is this the locker room we need ?

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Kirby is okay with it fine; however, if he'll do it to one side, he'll do it to the other. I believe UGA's legal department needs to (if it already hasn't) have him sign a covenant not to sue or similar legal paperwork. Sign of the times with this unregulated NIL crap.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior

If it's not in writing there will still be some kind of settlement.

Rashada is not long for Athens.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

While NIL might be defensible, being able to actually enter into an “agreement” BEFORE signing day seems so wrong to me. Recruiting, for many of these kids, boils down to guaranteed money. Regulations are needed. The problem is it’s already “off the rails.” Hard to blame the kids, especially those from poor families. But the adults need to step in and get this under control. As already commented, oh for the days when getting a free education was considered a thing of high value.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 21

I hope it gets worked out for Rashada, but I have to say how in the world did FL agents EVER agree to a $13.85M NIL deal??? That amount of money is ludicrous for even the best QB in the country. You can't be promising that amount of money and letting the kid sign without delivering. Something is really askew with this story.

My biggest concern in this is a Dawg locker room behind the scenes DISTRACTION that none of the players need. It certainly doesn't add to any team "cohesion".

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You can promise anything you want and the more money that is promised, obviously the higher the chance it will not be paid. Because people realize that they really don't want that high profile QB after all when it comes time to start paying that really big bill. That simple.

To me, I fully understand the not paying part. What you cannot do it promise it to start with. That is nuts.

Kirby will not let it be a distraction. I do not think it would be anyway.

The big take away here to me? Wow, UF, when it rains it pours for years down there is Gainesville doesn't it? Just when things were looking up for 5 minutes.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 22

Listening to Dawgnation Daily now (5/22) and Brandon Adams is having some fun with this. I think he has missed the point with most of his comments.

Rashada has not been "egged on" by CKS on this. It sounds like Rashada has a legitimate claim to having FU(?) /collectives mislead him and cost him money DEPENDING on the agreement, what was signed and what can be proven. If he has a legitimate claim he should have access to recourse. That is what the court system is for.

I have a different take on Rashada having his action receive the "blessing of CKS". In reality it sounds like Rashada went to CKS with the situation and asked for counseling. That's mature and respectful. Let's face it, this suit is a distraction. It is already a pretty big distraction based on the amount of attention it is already getting.. Did CKS want Rashada to proceed now or wait until after the season? Rashada gave CKS the option. Now or later? After the season would still be actionable. After the season Rashada may not even still be on the UGA roster. That depends on if he is moving up the depth chart. Sounds like CKS said "do what you want. It is not that big a distraction". CKS did not "direct" Rashada to do anything. CKS just offered his counsel.

As for BA's take that Napier being named in this suit is extremely disruptive I disagree. Many FU fans are happy for this suit because they see the writing on the wall for Napier. This suit, if it goes to trial and Rashada prevails, now gives FU cause to terminate Napier's contract w/o paying his buyout. THAT benefits FU tremendously.

All that being said, I expect this suit to be settled. Possibly with Napier kicking in some of his own money. A settlement would probably save Napier his buyout .

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 22

If you actually read the details, the legal stuff has been transpiring since January 2033. When the Rashada legal team began arbitratingbwith UF

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The details I read had the suit filed May 15, 2024. Well after Rashada's commitment to UGA and presumably with input, guidance and counsel from CKS.

Of course it has been transpiring since FU reneged on their NIL agreement as is the norm in any legal disagreement.