Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Latest ESPN SP+ rankings show a sizable gap between Georgia and other top contenders

SystemSystem Posts: 11,132 admin
edited May 22 in Article commenting
imageLatest ESPN SP+ rankings show a sizable gap between Georgia and other top contenders

ATHENS — There’s some debate about who the top team in college football is at this point in time.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GBALGBAL Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 207 ✭✭✭ Junior

We are so fortunate to have Kirby Smart as our head football coach. This article is definitely rat poison. With transfers, both Ohio State and Texas have as much or more talent this year as Georgia. We have the benefit of the doubt in these preseason polls. Our schedule is excruciating and it will be a near miracle to go undefeated this year. So the Dawgs have to push away the rat poison, roll up their sleeves and work the hardest they have ever worked in their lives if they want a Natty ring this year.

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ohio State and Texas Do Not have better talent than Georgia and they both play easier schedules. Georgia may slip up once, but nobody plays the schedule we have to endure on the road. I think our defense actually plays better this year and we give up at most 14-15 points a game.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At this point team talent can only be evaluated as "potential"……given that The Dawgs have more "potential" talent that either NC teams. As for TOS, the Bucknuts are not even close to the talent they fielded the year Big Blue beat them by 22 and we beat them by 1. Coaching becomes a key, The Dawgs have the best coaching staff in college football giving them the most realistic opportunity to convert "potential talent" into "demonstrable talent"……..TOS & Texas not even close.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 22

@Beachwagon & Petesdawgs…Agree about being lucky to have Kirby as HC. Sure, we do have a very tough slate for at least the next 2 years, and I do not expect us to go undefeated either season. It would take a small miracle to do so, and it would take the Dawgs playing near perfect football. However, if we lose 1-2 close games against those tougher opponents and still make it to the SEC Championship, then we should still be in the playoffs (as long as we don't end up with a total of 3 losses).

Dawgs have got to play the long game for the next 2 seasons. Bend but don't break and try to limit injuries - which may be the #1 key to surviving the gauntlet and making it through the playoffs ahead. Probably need to get 2nd and 3rd team guys with as much playing time as possible since getting help from them will be crucial as well in making it all the way.

I will disagree with the comment about the Buckeyes. I do think they have slightly better overall talent than the Dawgs this year - at least on paper (and definitely on defense). Their overall success probably mostly depends on how Howard ends up playing. And if they don't dominate their opponents on defense then they need a new defensive coach. Day is a good head coach, but I don't think he is a great coach. He's definitely got to get over the Michigan curse, and it should be much easier to do this season. The game against the Ducks in Eugene is their biggest test. With their much easier schedule and less wear & tear on their players, he has his best opportunity in years to play for the Natty. You are right about Texas, and I do think the Dawgs match up better against the Longhorns. But not by a whole lot, and we have to play them in Austin. It's going to be quite a game. I also think Bama will be better than people think. I like DeBoer and think he will bring a Championship home to the Tide at some point.

• CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If the defense plays up to its potential with Mykel Williams becoming the destructive force everyone thinks he can and if the D-backs can be the shutdown backfield we all think they can, teams will be doing good to score 7-10 points a game. I expect to see some shutouts against ranked teams.