Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

L.A. Rams G.M. breaks silence on Stetson Bennett, beneficial time away from football

2»

Comments

• randomsportsfanrandomsportsfan Posts: 25 ✭ Freshman

So apparently being named a 5 star recruit while a sophomore in high school, playing your junior and senior year for a high classification team that competes for championships in a state that produces tons of college football players, becoming a starter as an underclassman - and in some cases a true freshman - for an elite college program that contends for the playoffs every year and capping that off with entering the NFL as a 1st round draft pick for a terrible team that is counting on you to be the main guy to turn the franchise around AND you have to play well enough to justify your draft status and the big contract you received as a rookie to get a $150 million contract within 3-5 years or else be laughed at and ridiculed as a bust, blamed for getting your coach and GM fired and needing to find any team willing to sign you as a backup is less pressure than what Bennett experienced at UGA (entering with no fanfare or expectations) and the Rams (a talented team where he would not have been expected to play for at least 3 years)?

And the best part: lots of the 5 star guys above went through the bulk of this AS TEENAGERS. Trevor Lawrence was SIXTEEN when he got his 5th star. He was NINETEEN when he became the starting QB for THE NUMBER TWO TEAM IN THE COUNTRY. Even now as he is trying to get Jacksonville to give him a contract extension he is younger (24) than Bennett was when led UGA to their second national title (25). CJ Stroud started his first NFL game at 21. Anthony Richardson was TWENTY when he was drafted #4 overall to go from being pounded behind the Gators' terrible OL to the Colts one. And I am not a Bo Nix fan, but come on. 5 star recruit who started at his legend father's alma mater as a true freshman. Beat Alabama and won SEC Freshman of the Year … and it was all downhill on the Plains after that. Told the media he was "miserable" when he entered the portal and landed at a loaded Oregon team … only to lose to Washington 3 times in a row. Now he is the the #12 overall pick on a team with no offensive weapons, an aging defense, but has Drew Brees' old head coach! What could go wrong?

Personally, I think that (nearly) every rookie NFL QB should be "given the year off." (The NFL should create an exemption for young QBs that allows a team to carry as many as they want, and they wouldn't count towards the salary cap and also would be protected so other teams couldn't sign them - they could trade for them though - but that QB would be ineligible to play that year, and the contracts that the QBs signed as rookies would automatically roll over.) But if Les Snead is able to sell that Stetson Bennett IV was any more "exhausted" than any other big time QB it is because so many people are willing buyers.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"should create an exemption for young QBs that allows a team to carry as many as they want, and they wouldn't count towards the salary cap and also would be protected so other teams couldn't sign them - they could trade for them though - but that QB"____random

Not a bad idea....IMO. They have the capital and available talent to build a pretty good Minor League pool. They could play games on Tuesdays, or in the offseason…or, not at all.

With today's interest in recruiting services and fans' ability to follow a favorite player[s] throughout their development....there seems to be an explosion of interest in the fringe game. Especially with these on-line fantasy football leagues.

IMHO...Great idea for training, quality control and marketable to the public as a revenue source. And...possibly, a tax write-off for the Organization…if it can be structured that way. It could pay for itself, and in time....become an object of betting, fantasy football and television contracts. "A league of their own", if you will. Lol

With the right "Visionary" leading a fan-oriented marketing strategy....i think it's a win-win-win. The NFL has the resources to do it. Till now...I believe they've been leaning into the CFB Model. But, with players transferring all over the place, to the highest bidder…coaching quality is inconsistent...which reduces the preparedness, of most of the "top players/QB's" drafted, when they enter the profession. Justin Fields comes to mind here.

I like it. Go Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No two people are alike. THey can experience the same pressure, trauma, circumstances and handle and process it(or not) completely differently. None of us can write from our computers that player A should behave or respond to stimuli just like player(s) B. If we do, what are we trying to accomplish or prove? We all got to where we are traveling down different paths. WHo can say, "I went to Vietnam and I didn't get PTSD so you shouldn't either", or "I grew up in a dysfunctional house and look at how I turned out, you have no excuse!" Which seems to me to be the argument one person is making.

I haven't seen anyone on here say that SB "handled" his business exactly how he should have. I don't think he did. WIth that said, there can be no doubt that everything SB went through(I won't rehash) to make it to the top was drenched by skepticism and doubt along the way at almost every turn. It's one thing to be a poster boy for the NFL at 18 and everyone believes in you than it is to be a walk-on trying to rise above 4 scholarshipped QB's , who oh yeh, fit the classic QB look. Yes, some shorter guys have had success in college, but they did so just like SB inspite of their height and not because of it.

Becoming the starting QB for any major college is a tough row to hoe under any conditions, and I would imagine when you are the golden boy there is pressure to deliver. But again, everyone handles pressure differently. For Trevor LAwrence becoming the starting QB was never in question. He never had to beg the coaches to be given the chance as SB did. He never had to pull himself up by his bootstraps, he had coaches putting those boots on for him and tying them up. Not to say that's a bad thing, just different.

SB may or may not rise to the top in the NFL like he did at UGA, but I would never bet against the man. He's already overcome incredible odds. HIs story needs to be made into a movie, it's almost unbelievable! Maybe some Hollywood writer is just waiting for the final chapter to play out. If they do, and I'm still around, I'll pay the asking price to watch it and to say, I got to see it play out, albeit from a distance!

Go Dawgs and go SB!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@randomsportsfan "Personally, I think that (nearly) every rookie NFL QB should be "given the year off." (The NFL should create an exemption for young QBs that allows a team to carry as many as they want, and they wouldn't count towards the salary cap and also would be protected so other teams couldn't sign them - they could trade for them though - but that QB would be ineligible to play that year, and the contracts that the QBs signed as rookies would automatically roll over.)"

Really? You think the players union would agree to that blatant restraint of trade? This arrangement would restrict QB's ability to land on a team where they could play, and inhibit their careers and future earning potential. Not gonna happen.

Within the current NFL rules you can actually do that now (w/o the restraint of trade). It is called the practice squad. If you wanted you could keep 8 extra QB's on your practice squad. Those players would not be constrained arbitrarily from moving to any team that would put them on the active roster.

Trevor Lawrence, CJ Stroud, Bo Nix, and AR15 all had as much pressure (or more considering they were on worse teams than '21-'22 UGA) and less success at the CFB level than SBIV yet all of them are fine and SBIV cracked? Okay.