Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Stress Bragging

ChopperChopper Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited May 28 in Off Topic

Ran across this study from the Terry College last week at a round table discussion with some professional peers; since it's UGA sourced I figured why not toss it out here as an off-season thread. I was not familiar with the term "stress bragging" but I have certainly witnessed it and was guilty of it a few times myself when I was younger and getting used to "The Grind" as corporate America likes to call it. What say you?

https://news.uga.edu/stress-bragging-may-make-you-seem-less-competent-less-likable-at-work/

Comments

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good post, Chopper. I do believe people behave in accordance with and with intent to confirm their own self-concept. Whatever can strengthen that self-concept is likely to be acted upon. This might be one example of that. I like the approach that the self-concept is merely illusion and not one's "real" self. An off-season is likely not enough time to explore this idea, but you raise some great questions with your post.

• BumBum Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stress bragging works best on my wife. Ha! Jk. Her day is usually much harder than mine I soon find.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Listen, I didn't get on the forum to find put how to run my *!@$# life. Don't you know how busy I am? 😀

Good article. There's sound reasoning behind the praise: "He's cool as a cucumber."

• JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice article - I think it supports the workplace idea that "perception is reality"
    Which is to say that it is less about what you say and more about the image you create
    So, schedule those late night emails and always send a random email at like 10pm…
    Then walk into the office real chill like it doesn't faze you to work so late lol

• wpony714wpony714 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Never heard that term before. Perhaps fluctuations in unemployment help drive it…folks need to justify their job in the hopes of keeping it. And perhaps some relation to the increase in remote work. I'm sure it exists but I don't get the point, lol. I pretty much have always tuned out whining and complaining from co-workers and to me, stress bragging falls in that category.

I have also seen a ton of videos from complaining millennials/Gen Z'ers and the things they find stressful, are….laughable.

I came from the Dry Idea school of thought….don't let 'em see you sweat.