Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN analyst shares one skill that ‘will always be a challenge’ for Georgia quarterback Carson Beck

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited June 11 in Article commenting
imageESPN analyst shares one skill that ‘will always be a challenge’ for Georgia quarterback Carson Beck

Expectations are high for Carson Beck entering the 2024 college football season. Beck is expected to be the No. 1 quarterback in the sport, as he returns for the 2024 season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Carson has the tools to really "bowl a 300 game" this season. Smart is loading up his opportunities with receivers, backs and line. Gettem all in sync. and a natty is for real.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is kinda hard to show improvisational abilities when you systematically work through your progressions and find an open option. Knowing the offense and working through the progressions is a more sound professional approach than reverting to schoolyard chaos. Do you want Tom Brady back there or Michael Vick?

Considering CBeck was in the UGA program for 3 years THEN started the whole season is he already at his CFB ceiling? How much more can he improve this season? Many times last year he looked like Aaron Rodgers. On target laser shots put on the receivers. Not sure how much better he can play than last season (72% completion %). He can improve his long ball accuracy and will be breaking in new receivers. He is also losing BB and LMcC.

IF CBeck has a limitation it would be he hasn't put a team on his back and delivered under pressure. He did not distinguish himself in the loss to AL in SECCG. Here is where I will be watching how CBeck performs. Under pressure will he step up to the next level? He will need to for UGA to win this season.

• JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I kinda want both Tom Brady and Vick back there but will happily take the Super Bowls lol

Jokes aside, I don't think learning the offense for 3 then one season as a starter is an indication that Beck has hit his ceiling.
    In fact, I think it just makes his window of progression much quicker. I expect to see an even more improved Beck this year as there is a comfort level with being the "the guy" and slowing the game down as your confidence grows.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I kinda think CB did put the team on his back in the second half when they opened up the passing game more and I know I felt this way but if we could have stopped Milroe that last possession we could have had the ball back and given CB the chance to win it. I felt like whoever got the ball last was going to win and I was right. Just the wrong team got it. Plus he had banged up receivers.

Who knows, a right official call and erase the fumble with Bell and we win. Close game.

Bobo needs to learn not to take his foot off the pedal when moving the ball through the air.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike Vick was a great running QB and "improvisor". Out of necessity. He was also notorious for being the last player in the building and the first to leave. Film study? Non-existent. I don't think you want that.

CBeck is getting the most out of his physical gifts. We will see how much he improves this season. He certainly did not look improved in the Spring game.

@reddawg1 Fumbling at the 11 in a critical situation is not putting the team on your back. It is putting your team on its back. You can't fumble there. Questionable call. The jury is still out on CMB. But you cannot fumble there. Less experience Milroe looked like the more poised QB in that game.

@JoeClark I mentioned the fumble. Milroe was 6-11 for 82 yards in the 2nd half. Beck was 14-19 for @140 yards playing from behind. Nothing to sneeze at there. We all knew what UGA couldn't do was allow Milroe to beat us with his legs. We did alright until that last drive where he ran for39 yards or so. We knew what they were going to do and we couldn't stop him.

Like I said, we all know Ladd and Bowers were not anywhere near a 100%. Beck did the best with what he had to work with. BAMA had healthy receivers and better DB's than ours, covering hobbled receivers.

Milroe's athleticism and our lack of D-line pressure allowed him time to float around behind the line and find eventually open receivers. He only completed 13 passes the whole game but they averaged 5 more yards per completion.

Milroe is a great athlete. Maybe none better since Cam Newton. But he only completed 16 passes for 116 against Michigan. He actually ran better against them than us , probably due to their relentless pass rush as they sacked him 5 times in the 1st half alone. We made him look like a decent passer. Swap QB's and CB picks UGA apart. I think Milroe throws for 2-3 INt's against his own team.

Against us and Michigan he completed 29 passes total. How many passes would he have completed against his own team? My guess, less than 10. CB completed 21. Which means BAMA's defense and MIlroe's running is what kept them in games, as they used Milroe as sparingly as possible passing it.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@reddawg1…"Like I said, we all know Ladd and Bowers were not anywhere near a 100%. " A BIG game-defining difference in the ball game in my opinion.

If either or both of those guys had been 100% (or darn close), my bet is we would have beat Bama. CB had a somewhat limited WR group without them, and unfortunately those other guys were A) Unable to make good separation and/or B) Beck just wasn't as dialed into the other WRs as he was with Bowers and McConkey.

That's a lot of "what if's" to try and connect all those dots.

Stat's don't tell the whole story in this case. Based on the eye test, Milroe looked in command and poised. CBeck looked shaky. AL getting Mims out of the game was critical.

Blame the UGA coaching staff for Bowers injury. Running TE jet sweeps vs Vandy might have been the dumbest call in football since Pete Carroll called a passing play in the SB from the 1 yard line. A close 3rd might be an end around flip at the 11 yard line. You don't need Brock Bowers to play at all to beat Vandy. You certainly don't need to run Bowers on a TE jet sweep vs Vandy where he is likely to get gang tackled by DL and LB's close to the line of scrimmage. Bowers had already taken bad hits to his legs on other TE jet sweeps earlier in the year. That alone may have cost the 3 Peat.

Except that AL (and Milroe) are/were really good. There were a lot of people here last year throwing dirt on AL. AL outplayed UGA in the SECCG. Talk about "IF's" if Milroe doesn't run into the pile on 4th down or AL's scattershot C doesn't snap the ball to a different zip code AL probably beats MI and wins the championship.

CBeck looked great throughout the season. Until he got to the SECCG. Then he, and the rest of the team, didn't look ready for prime time. Can he elevate his game in big situations and show the poise needed based on his level of experience? That is the biggest question about CBeck.

CB looked pretty darn good considering MIMs had to leave the game and BAMA provided enough pressure to where he had to go with his 1st read, especially in the first half, he moved us down to the 19 yardline and with 1st down for some unknown reason, most UGA fans are still trying to figure out, we had to run twice uo the middle for no gain, for the sake of being balances? maybe even lost a yard or two. Now it's 3rd and forever and they sack CB to make it a long field goal and then the procedure penalty backed it up 5 more yards. And we missed it. I bet Bobo wishes he had that to do over again. I know I do!

• 99nout99nout Posts: 234 ✭✭✭ Junior

QBs that rely on their feet instead of their brains and arm have very short NFL careers.

BEck was 9-11 to start the SECC game. Not like he came out flat or confused.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Beck delivered against South Carolina and Auburn and Tennessee and Ole Miss. The Alabama game was the coaches fault imo. Coaches got to come up with a better game plan. Take off the restrictor plates and don't run into the heart of the defense. The gameplan was so jacked up (just like 21) and by the time we figured it out we were down 17 (refs own one of those scores). Regardless, if the coach calls a play you run it. Not on Beck.