Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

CBS Sports rates Georgia football front 7 as the best in college football

SystemSystem Posts: 11,047 admin
edited June 17 in Article commenting
imageCBS Sports rates Georgia football front 7 as the best in college football

Perhaps the biggest reason Georgia won back-to-back national championships was because it had the best defensive front in the country.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We will be a handful for any team. Only Texas and Bama have a chance to stifle our DL and LBs. OSU has a weak offensive line so if we meet them it is sack city.

Golden Age of Georgia Football. Kirby has built an absolute juggernaut.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's some scary stuff right there… about a dozen dudes stoked with bad intentions… oh my. See if you can even exceed expectations, boys.. Go Dawgs!

To think this year might be our least talented DL in the next 4 years with the new guys (Nas J., Thomas, Ajonye) and the ones coming next year (some more big names). We are gearing up for this new world of 3 playoff games and an SECCG. Lots of big men. Lots of really really big and talented men.

I wouldn't want to face us because the media pundits can blather on about all that they do (for example Ohio State) but the games are won and lost in the trenches. If you can't match our physicality it doesn't matter how many 5 star wide recievers you have.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed. But why didn't you — and for that matter the CBS writer — mention Jordan Hall. He had a good spring game playing for the first-team defense.

Isn't Hall's upside the highest of any of the IDLs we have on the roster? So will he live up to his stellar potential?

If he does follow in the havoc-heavy footsteps of Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter, look out!

• lmattoxlmattox Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman
  • lmattoxlmattox Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

The writer did mention Jordan Hall.

• Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

These guys are going to make some offensive lines look like they’re on roller skates.

Go Dawgs!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 17

Kinda surprised the Dawgs got the nod over Michigan & Ohio State. I know we have a lot of elite talent, but I also know the struggles our front (7) had last season containing the edge and having an effective pass rush (without bringing the house). And we didn't have near the competition that we will be facing this season. The guys will have to step up their game if we want to do really well.

Connor did mention Hall. As I wrote below: It was the "CBS writer" (i.e. David Cobb) who didn't mention Hall. I'm holding that against him or antything. He only has so much room in those brief on each of the teams he's ranking.

But I am wondering why Hall doesn't seem to get that much attention. He was a 5-star recruit. In terms of physical attributes (strength, length, explosiveness), he's the guy who seems closest to Jalen Carter (not that he is another Carter, of course).

I'm just eager to see how much Hall pushes for playing time and whether he can play a role in getting the line closer to where it was in '21 and '22.

I agree Hall will be vastly improved this year. People forget that Christian Miller and Tyron Ingram Dawkins were injured last year for a good part of the year. Hall and JJ were freshman learning the ropes. Because of that inexperience of big men that were available Stack had to play too many snaps and got tired. He played way too many snaps. Hopefully this year we avoid injuries. Our depth looks a lot better and we have 2 or 3 freshman who look like they can contribute some snaps. I think Miller if he can stay healthy is the guy who will standout but TID and Hall would be next up in my book. Plus we added McLeod who looked solid in the spring game. That gives us 6 guys with experience and 2 other good freshman. Not talking about edges here. At Edge we have Mykel and Ajonye.

• JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 440 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We’ll find out soon enough how good our D-line is! Greg McElroy says he has concerns about that group, while the CBS guy is saying our D-line is the best in the nation. While hoping the CBS guy is on the money, I’m thinking McElroy actually knows more about SEC football Ryan the CBS guy does.
    Last year, our Achilles heel was setting the edge on runs outside and being able to get pressure up the middle on pass plays. We definitely need to get better up front on D. I’m confident that Kirby knows this better than anyone. Looking for improvement on the D-line this year and believe we’ll see that. But the best D-line in the country. That’s pretty unlikely even with the expected improvement.

I'm glad you noted that, JBM. The way CBS guy (Cobb) wrote his blurb made it seem he didn't know that much about our D. For example, highlighting Chaz Chambliss as one of the three guys who makes our LB room "loaded" was a bit odd. (Nothing against Chaz, but he's not one of the first three guys I think of when talking about our most talented LBs.) I too was surprised he projected Georgia's front seven as the #1 in the country … but of course I hope he's right!

That said, I'm betting that we'll be significantly better up front than we were last year.