Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Usage of Oscar Delp will say a lot about how Georgia views the future of the tight end position

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited June 17 in Article commenting
imageUsage of Oscar Delp will say a lot about how Georgia views the future of the tight end position

Oscar Delp isn’t some unknown entity for the Georgia football offense.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO.…Delp & Lucky are going to be used similar to the Bowers & Washington TE Packages of the '21-'22 seasons.

TE's will still be a major part of the UGA offense...especially in the Red Zone. However, the other parts of the offense are much more capable of carrying their share of the load, than any of the previous versions....so, I see the ball getting spread around more. I think that would be the case, whether it was Bowers or Delp leading the TE Room.

Kirby and Bobo will take points and yards, where they can get em. You can't stop it all on every play. With the Dawgs array of weapons.…nothing short of a thermonuclear defense will stop em this year.

Now, that Saban's gone...the only defense that could fit that bill other than UGA...is Oregon. And, UGA won't see those guys, till the playoffs.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd certainly hate to see a talented 6'5", 245 lb TE like Delp not get ample opportunities to be a prime receiver for Beck.

Bobo has got a lot of pressure on him this season to really prove his worth against a lot of talented teams. I expect creativity and aggressive play calling...playing to win and not just to not lose. He got a little too conservative several times last season.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WHen I look at Yuosek highlights I see mainly a pass catcher. A big body receiver, basically. Delp is more of your traditional TE big thick body who can take on a DE in the run game and catch and run a little too, but just a different animal.

Unless Yursek comes in and puts on 20 pounds in his hips and legs (don't see that happening) he will be mainly a pass catching threat, and a good one at that. In his college career he has caught contested passes at roughly the same percentage as BB. Can he shake tacklers after the catch in the way BB did? I'm not seeing that kind of strenth, but make no mistake the young man can take it to the house after he catches it. I just watched some film on him called NFL draft film that showed him running several routes against opponents where he was open but his QB couldn't get the ball anywhere near him. In other words if he had had a CB he would have had several more catches than he had.

I see UGA using him in a jumbo receiver package where they have Young, Yurosek, and whoever the next big receiver is(all over 6'3" or as a short yardage 3rd and 4 quick toss go-to control receiver guy who can use his body as a shield against LB's or safeties or high-pointing it.

If he can stay healthy I see him being number 1 or 2 in receptions for us.

• Billy21Billy21 Posts: 205 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know the passing game seems to be a high point for this team, which is great news, but I just have a strong feeling that we are going to see a lot of success in the run game. The UGA backs are stacked and I think we have a capable offensive line to push people around. Excited to see how things progress.

I believe if we can stay relatively healthy along the O-line and wih our RB's we will have a formidable run game to go along with an already formidable passing attack. They can definitely complement each other. THe question is how do we best utilize Carson BEck? He figures to be one of the top QB's taken in the draft, if not the first. Dawg fans will look back in a few years and question (if we don't win it all) did we use him correctly or not?

Alot will be on CMB to get this right. Will we be a running team that is good in the passing game or will we be a passing team that can also run the ball well. THere is a subtle difference.

THe way they have shortened the game with the game clock lends itself towards more passing than before. Before the changes you could take the time early on in a game to get the run game going, even if you went 3 and out (or something close) a few times, but not so much any more if you are playing a simarly talented team as yours.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 17

Yeah, I'm not crazy about your use of the adjective "average", or even "good", in describing Delps' stature and athletic ability. Wasn't he the #1 TE coming out of high school… a 4.5 star stud whom, if we hadn't known of a guy named Brock Bowers, might be "the bar" and easily considered one of the more dangerous/effective TEs in college football and sure Sunday-level talent?? Hartley, Delps, and the other guys in the room, this year and the forseeable future, could/should cement Georgia as TEU. Go Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 17

The TE position will see an amount of touches/attention as necessary for the diversity of the offense. Just like the offense will use the "12" personnel alignment an amount as needed and warranted by the degree of success it has. All the TE's , including Delp, will determine how they are used by the amount of production/success they have and how hard they work.

After having the luxury of having the best TE in CFB the last 3 years , this year's group is completely unproven. Other than producing in HS, the PAC12 or in an extremely limited role this TE group is unknown and unproven.

On one hand there is talent in the room. On the other hand, none has proven to be a consistent factor on a championship level team in the SEC. The good news is that the WR room is deep and there are a couple of RB's that can catch the ball.. UGA has a QB that knows the O , can see the whole field and can distribute BB's touches in many ways w/ or w/o utilizing the TE to a great degree.

It seems to me (without looking deeply into it) the other SEC teams tend to have more premier DBs than LBs. If that's the case, I fully expect our TEs to be fully deployed to exploit that, while also blocking their tails off for RBs and WRs. Speaking of which, many of our WRs and RBs don't exactly have a huge history of Beck throwing the ball to them. I expect it to be a VERY balanced offense, the most dangerous kind. Tons of potential elite talent all across this team… It'll be a wait-and-see as to who can actually produce when the whistle blows… and I can hardly wait and see. Go Dawgs!

edited June 18

Lol...right?! There was only one Brock Bowers. Where is the next generational player coming from?..Defense?...Offense?...Backfield or end? Who knows.

Bowers set the standard, not just for TE's…but, for football players…IMO. You can't replace players like that…so, stop lookin'.. Personally, I think UGA's backfield is more than capable of being "Special". So is the Dawgs QB/WR situation.

I honestly don't see a weakness on this UGA Offense. it's incredible, what Kirby has built in Athens, over the last several years.

I'm not saying that Delp or Lucky can't "do what they do", to a higher standard, the way Bowers did. I'm saying, they don't have to, to win. But, I can't wait to find out if they have "It" in em. I've been hearing good things about Lucky. He's got some tools....but, does he have the heart and has he "fully" recovered from his injuries heading into the '24 season.

Delp, has proven to be be steady and reliable, IMO. Not a world-shaker out of the gate, like Bowers…but, who is? Not even Washington can lay that claim and he was in an orbit all alone, himself. Lol

Those guys are few and far between. Maybe…one or two of em have been riding pine for the last year or two...forgotten and awaiting their opportunity. And, when they get it...will rise up, and introduce themselves to DawgNation in September.

B-Rob and Ettienne [aka, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot] are standing by. Ready to make history behind a "Generational" Offensive Line. That's the secret sauce, this year...IMO. When is the last time, UGA had, not one...but, two, "1000 yd rushers" in a single season?....on top of a 3000+ yd passer and a 1000yd receiver.

Lol...yeah....I'd say this whole Offense is gonna be "Generational". Barring injuries, of course. And, even then....?

• BigFanBigFan Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

Glad we have Yurosek for depth. TE3 - but ready to go if the injury bug bites. Delp TE1. Love Lawson Luckie at TE2.

I hate to belabor it, but I think Delps will have an outstanding year, including being a role model team player. When you're playing behind/in the shadows of Brock Bowers, it's pretty darned hard to establish your own brand. That will happen this year with Delps. I'm not saying he's going to make us forget Brock Bowers, but he's gonna leave us mighty grateful he's on our side, begin accumulating plenty of accolades, and position himself as another great Georgia TE ambassador. Go Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 There you go again. "Generational" OL? After what we have seen the last 3 years? What would make it "Generational"? Winning the Joe Moore Award? After finishing 2nd a couple of times recently winning it doesn't raise the bar much.

That being said this line isn't likely to win the award. 71 has not been shown to be on the level of previous LOT yet. 53/56 have not shown to even be up to the standard of recent UGA OL yet. 56 has the higher ceiling because of his size but 53 seems to play more. 53 reminds me of Ericson, the weak link of previous very good UGA OL. We'll see how LOG develops. 73 was a good fit there. But he is needed at ROT. 73's play at ROT was also substandard (UGA) and cost the team in the SECCG. He is a better OG than OT. 55 is a new and unproven OC. He is smaller than SVPG and small by UGA standards. 69 is a solid player. Will he be better than the previous 2 seasons?

That is the top 6 OL players. Add in 57 as your swing tackle. Hopefully all those guys play the whole season w/o injury. After the top 7 you have a lot of 3*, low 4* and freshmen players. Generational? Pie in the sky or, maybe, high in the sky. Obviously smoking something.

If you believe Yurosek isn't going to be a mainstay in the passing game, I don't know what to tell you. He certainly isn't going to be 3rd off the bench behind two other tight ends, unless it's a run play and Bobo wants a thicker body to block with.

THere seems to me to be on here a sentiment that we owe the guys who have been with the program for a couple of years the playing time. I can assure you that's now how CKS is thinking. THey're going to have fall camp and the players that CKS feels gives UGA the best shot of winning are going to play. THat's how it should be, I hope we can all agree with that. WHy start anyone who isn't the best player at their position?

I like all UGA players and I appreciate guys that stick with the program, but I don't want them starting for sentimental reasons. There is no replacing Brock Bowers but I've watched enough of Yurosek's film to know that he doesn't have an equal on UGA's current team at TE when it comes to pass catching ability, excellent hands, route running, catch radius, speed, and adjusting to the ball in the air, and that includes Delp or Luckie. No doubt each player will have their own unique thing they do a little better than another and Kirby will use whatever that is when the time comes. But Imagine having the closest thing to a Brock Bowers there is transfer in and you didn't start him. While I've expressed my feelings, rest assured they aren't mine alone as other football analyzers and pundits are saying similar things. And this is a good thing for UGA, wouldn't you agree?

Lol...you know how I feel about those "yankee" awards. They pretty much highlight the best "BIG10/BIG12/USC/Notre Dame" teams, players and coaches. They throw the rest a bone from time to time...and we're supposed to feel what?...Grateful? Proud, maybe. Screw their "award". I got one of my own. I'm an offensive lineman by trade and I know what I see.

Those boys are gonna open some holes this year...mark my words. And, they've got the backs to take advantage of it. Bobo would be nuts, to ignore the advantage a strong running game, is gonna give him. I'd say Smart and Bobo are on the same page this year.

If Kirby stays true to form…there won't be many big blowouts during the regular season. unless it's an Alabama, Texas, Tennessee or Ole Miss. He'll play teams like Kentucky and Florida close with a grinder running game and vanilla defense...just to challenge his team.

Lol....I've noticed CKS treats most of the FCS opponents like a spring game or scrimmage. UGA is so far out of most of these guys' league...that it almost ain't fair.

IMO....A team is forged around a common goal, through adversity. The only way that will happen with UGA, in 2024, is if Kirby artificially creates it. And, I think he will do just that...before the SECCG.

OR....they could just pass the ball all over the yard...steamroll everybody and be done with it. This is gonna be a fun football season and i'm beginning to look forward to it. The Dawgs will be able to do...whatever they want to do in 2024.

edited June 18

@reddawg1 ....If you ask me, Reddawg....there's not much, if any, difference between the 1st and 2nd teams. Maybe, experience level. But, not in all cases.

IMO....everybody on the 1st and 2nd team will get plenty of playing time, as usual. The word "starter" has no meaning in Athens, anymore.

For the most part......The skill players that "start" the game, is relative to the "play packages" they begin the game with...and the injury situation, of course.

The way I see it...#1 & #2 are equal and interchangeable on the UGA Bulldogs. #1 may (or, may not) be more experienced than #2. Doesn't matter. The player [TE/WR/RB] that has the best scrimmage...or has the right skill-set for the primary gameplan, will start. Generally speaking.

That philosophy doesn't include Team Leaders or QBs. Those guys start every week and provide the stability. Lol...I guess, what I'm saying, is...that Delp, Lucky & Yurosek could all be equally good...in their particular area of expertise.

The ones that "start" will be the ones that provide the needed skillset for that particular game...unless...and, until...one of them takes on the mantel of "Team Leader" or "Captain". Delp is probably closer to that designation than any of em.