Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

New details allege Smael Mondon was racing Georgia teammate prior to arrest

13»

Comments

• paleodawgpaleodawg Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophomore

What is clear is that current punishments/penalties/deterrents are not enough to keep the UGA football players from behaving this recklessly. Additionally, Mondon shows he's not the leader the team needs by doing this, after the repeated warnings by the UGAAA, and by trying to minimize things once he got caught by lying to the police.

Regardless of whatever defined penalties exist for this, CKS should also tell Mondon that he is not eligible to be a Captain at any time this year season. This doesn't hurt the team like additional suspensions would, and it has no "real world" impact, but it does send a very strong statement to the team that Mondon is not the leader they should aspire to be.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 12

He was arrested for racing, not speeding. I agree, if it's just speeding, ticket them and send them on their way. But racing on a public street is not only illegal, but very S-T-U-P-I-D as well, and a trip to jail offense for anyone. And don't get me started on illegal immigrants, if I did, you'd never see another post on here from me after I was banned for life lol

edited July 12

Im not "going" with anything..dude. Try illegal street racing with 1 of your buddies on Broad Street at 75mph and see what happens. If you get caught, you will be arrested also, as it should be. Its done not only for your safety, but to protect the other drivers using the road as well.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The guys who play football enjoy the thrill/risk aspect of it. That same thrill/risk exists with driving fast. Football players also thrive on competition, and racing feeds into that as well. The people determined to take the "sit right there (or run the stands) and think about what you did" approach are ignoring the obvious: it will be far more effective to give these guys a safer, legal outlet for their go-fast desires.

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A somewhat macabre reinforcement of better driving behavior may be to have a strength training session once a year in which the only lecture is for the entire team, four at a time, be required to lift a real casket (weighted down sufficiently) up and down for a certain number of repetitions. No lecture to be provided after the exercise. All players would be required to remain for the entire team exercise and absolutely no talking or use of phones would be allowed.

• lucydoglucydog Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dismiss both players from the team? That is the most absurd thing I've heard this year. Did you not make **** decisions when you were young?

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These safer and legal outlets that you are speaking of are already available to them. They can take that race car to the race track, pay the fee, sign the waiver, and then drive as fast as they want. People all over this great nation who thrive on competition have been doing that for longer than I've been alive. Theses guys don't need to be "given" anything. They can do it just like anyone else that can afford a 2022 Dodge Charger (most likely with a Hellcat motor). They don't need to be given the opportunity, they just need to take the existing opportunity as a responsible way to satisfy their go-fast desires.

• 78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 180 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 12

Welcome to the age of NIL. Don't forget our QB has a Lambo.

edited July 12

Beck is either mature enough not to do it, or just hasn't been caught yet lol you don't drive a Lambroghini like a little old lady would lol its not built for cruising the town at 55mph.

• David1David1 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 12

Let’s be realistic. This happens at every college in every town across this nation. If you don’t think it does, I have ocean front property at my house to sell you. Unfortunately teenagers that aren’t mature or prepared to live on their own are going to do s t u p i d stuff like this. The only reason Georgia is making headlines is because it is one of the top programs in the country. If this happened under Goff or Donan, it would be no news at all. It needs to go back to how Dooley took care of stuff when players got in trouble, the police called him first and he took care of it.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have a lot of perfect people on here who never did anything wrong.

• JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wow! What a shock. College kids racing. The “shock” is being arrested for misdemeanor traffic violations. A $26 bond? Talk about weird. Nevertheless, the football players need to get smarter and realize they’re not just regular college students. Pretty sure UGA students get traffic tickets every day. However, a regular student getting a traffic ticket isn’t newsworthy. A player on the best football team in America getting a traffic ticket is newsworthy.

How many of us on this chat got a traffic ticket while in college? Many I’m sure.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

GoodOlDawg, it’s not about giving out some sort of freebie. It’s about setting up a structured outlet for these players' desires to go fast. Providing them an opportunity to do things in a safer, legal manner and then having consequences for those who still go street racing will be more effective than a stick-only response. It's clear that negative reinforcement alone isn't solving things, so a carrot and stick approach makes the most sense.

That safer opportunity is also better for the team, because it reduces the risk of players being injured in street racing crashes.