Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

3 things: What will determine Georgia football championship hopes leading into Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 11,093 admin
edited September 16 in Article commenting
image3 things: What will determine Georgia football championship hopes leading into Alabama

ATHENS — Georgia’s close call, 13-12 win at Kentucky on Saturday night is the best thing that could have happened for this particular group of Bulldogs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 16

We lost the line of scrimmage against KY. We gave up too many yards on the ground and couldn't effectively or consistently run the ball ourselves between the tackles. Bama will tell us finally how good our LOS play on both sides of the ball really is, because I do not consider Clemson to be a true test of going against an elite team. I'm hoping Brinson and Williams will be back for Bama to help on the D-line, but I'm not betting on getting both back.

Beck has got to do better. He looked shaky, unsettled, and very happy-feet nervous. When he is pressured his accuracy falls off considerably. He was pressured most of the night, and I expect some of that pressure as well against Bama. So, Bobo has got to call plays that get the ball out of his hands pretty quickly. I'm truly hoping that our TEs will step up to the plate and become consistently effective targets for Beck.

Our WRs and TEs are not particularly good blockers, yet we continue to try and run swing passes. It's not working most of the time. We either need to stop calling those plays or teach those receivers how to block. Let's face it, we do not have any elite receivers that Beck can turn to like a Bowers or McConkey. But, we do have guys that are certainly above average and very good.

Tackling. We were poor tacklers mostly in the latter part of the game Saturday. I'm assuming we were just gassed and exhausted, but that is no excuse.

• BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 193 ✭✭✭ Junior

This article is right on the money with Beck. Bad look to buy a Lamborghini, dress up like Deion Sanders, then proceed to play the game without much emotion like a robot. His fumble in the second half took me back to how we lost the SEC championship last year when he fumbled and lost the ball on our own goal line. It's time for Beck to stop posing, park his racer and pimp threads, and provide some good old fashioned spirited leadership while raising the collective energy to his teammates. Last weekend made me think that we should have kept Vandergriff who raised his whole team above their capabilities to almost knock off the #1 team in the country. UGA would have saved millions in NIL and would have a warrior quarterback instead of a NFL businessman intern.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Complete agreement on the defensive leadership point, as well. I know a few folks were put off by JDJ's "emotional" displays when he was still a Dawg, but I absolutely thought it was great when needed... and it seemed to work!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Carson is not a clutch QB. I wish Brock had remained…that kid has true grit and fire in his belly. Carson does not. Carson needs the o-line to deflect the defense long enough for him to lock in his shot. He did rifle one to Lovett at the end to actually save the game. He is not a commanding presence to the linemen. In turn, the o-line does need to better protect him. Losing Tate Ratledge will prove to be big. Carson is not Stetson Bennett…crazy legs Bennett. Few are. I hope UGA can …gel…and bring some fire to Tuscaloosa in two weeks. I cannot solve this…Kirby must. Bama I would suspect is breathing much easier after viewing the KY game tapes. Georgia is not an offensive powerhouse. The o-line is Swiss cheese at times. Bama's front D line is big. Say no more. Pray for a miracle.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Dawgs biggest concern is the health of the D-line. If they get 2-3 of the injured players back at something close to 100%, I like their chances against Bama. If they don't, GA will have to score 35 just to keep up.

• truthtellertruthteller Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

Watching the game this past Saturday reminded me of when CB threw the interception against UAB and jogged after the player who caught his throw. I saw the same this past weekend. Ho, hum. It was the same dead look in his eyes after he fumbled in the SECCG, which basically lost the game against Bama. We have seen this time and time again, a talent-rich player that cannot put it all together on the field. CB has not shown ANYTHING to me to show that he is worth all the hype. 1st round pic? Really? What NFL team wants another player to give half efforts and a "What me care?" attitude. Heisman? Really? His numbers are crap. Dog Catcher? Perhaps. I love his back story of "waiting his turn", etc…But, man, we had high hopes that he would kill it on the field this year after the SECCG fiasco. Afterall, that is why he came back, right? Unfinished business? Or was it the car? The money? Maybe CB knows that once he leaves Georgia, he is back to the bench…IF and WHEN he gets to the NFL. If he keeps this up, he will be lucky to be drafted.

• truthtellertruthteller Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

The BIG problem is the offense and the 3 and outs. THAT is what is killing our defense. Too much time on the field. CB and the OL need to wake up!

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 219 ✭✭✭ Junior

Need a lot of work to be labelled a Championship team.

• RS289RS289 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Alabama's running backs are averaging over 9 yards a carry for Miller and over 8 yards a carry for Haynes. The Freshman receiver Williams is amazing. Milroe is a handful himself. I am glad we are getting 3 starters back on defense. KIrby and hos Offensive Coordinator needs win time of possession on Offense. This is a huge game and it doesn't get any easier. Go Dawgs yall have the talent. Go out there and kick Butt.

• BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 193 ✭✭✭ Junior

Biggest two problems for UGA are Bobo and Beck. Bobo seems to either have not learned or forgotten whatever Monken may have taught him and he has reverted to his former uncreative self who likes to run it up the middle for no gain ad nauseum. Doing that against Bama the entire first half cost us the NC last year and his offense at Lexington was very predictable and docile. Beck seems to have eaten all the rat poison he has been able to find since the big NIL money fell in his lap. He looks and acts like a ghetto pimp, posing for the public in his Lamborghini and gangsta culture threads instead of actively leading his offense to the goal line. If these two cogs in the UGA wheel do not get it together, recommit themselves to glory, and fast, then it is lights out for us this year and also the forseeable future. Once the dam breaks, everything gets flooded…. The elite college football player is a hot commodity these days, and the best ones want to play for championship rings, not Hollywood wannabes…