Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Contenders or Pretenders

Comments

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're basically agreeing with everything I'm saying about Beck. Beck could have easily thrown 6 INTs in that game, so that's not on Bobo. Where we differ is on offensive play DESIGN that creates more opportunities for success and reduces risk.

IMO Bobo has taken a Bugatti from Monken and turned it into an Edsel… okay I exaggerate. When your QB is not playing well you have to call plays designed to create space for him to more easily operate, gain rhythm/confidence and make it easier for him to execute. Bobo lines 'em up and says Here ya go. Bama knew what was coming. Deja Vu.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree about Frazier - dude looks like a hybrid of Knowshon and Swift. I really like the idea of using him with ETN together. Remember when we had Sony and Swift both on the field? Kill Everything indeed!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like Frazier, too, but we saw him playing against a much less talented team. It was relatively easy for him to shine in that situation. Against stronger competition he needs to bring the full package of SEC level skills, and not just his rather obvious innate talent. I'm sure Kirby & Company are doing everything they can to develop him as rapidly as possible.

Kirby certainly wants to play the guys who give us the best chance to win the game.

At this point in the season we don't know whether this season's team is going to be a contender. It largely depends on how the team responds to their failure on Saturday. The Dawgs were exposed meaning they were exposed as a pretty bad team and they were also exposed as a potentially great team which almost won the game in spite of four turnovers and many other offensive and defensive mistakes.

Go, Dawgs!

• dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

the lesson: scheme and play like you’re 28 down.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"IMO Bobo has taken a Bugatti from Monken and turned it into an Edsel… okay I exaggerate. When your QB is not playing well you have to call plays designed to create space for him to more easily operate, gain rhythm/confidence and make it easier for him to execute. Bobo lines 'em up and says Here ya go. Bama knew what was coming. Deja Vu." @Michael_Scarn said this and IMHO, dead on!

There is so much…. that is fixable, but the key words …. so much! I don't want to dissect every player and the issues that need to be fixed! That is the position coach's job! As an example, what could be easy, but a huge issue for Carson, is he is telegraphing, stareing down, locked in on almost every pass play. It is a huge advantage for the DB or LB, to know that the ball is coming their way! Huge advantage! He can't stop doing it, just like he can'tt stop twirling the ball when he receives it from the center! IT is a habbit and he hasn't stopped doing it, so he and the coaches dont think it matters, but it does! On the safety, we blocked 4 and let the 5th come through untouched! That is a totally different issue, but he is twirling the ball as he is getting hit, so it mattered there!

Play better! No kidding, its that simple, but for some reason they are not in the 1st half. I know there are motivations that can be applied that would at least make it more important!

The scheme should help players to make plays! So far, I am seeing that has improved from Clemson to Kentucky and the 2nd half of the Bama game!

I will be at the Awebum game as a fan, but I would love for them to come out hot, stay hot and beat the ever loving dawg crappie out of the "Plainsmen"! FYI - Awebum has the #23 offense in college football and they also have a bottom 10 turnover margin, we better be ready to play!

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

”When your QB is not playing well”… doesn’t that really say it all? Beck is a pocket passer. Yes, he can take off, run haltingly, like Big Bird, and slide in short of the first down, but he can’t really make plays with his legs, he doesn’t really innovate on busted plays, he doesn’t scramble and come up with a play. Beck is by the book. He can’t make plays off schedule. He is predictable and one dimensional… and worst… any throw over 10 yards in the air is likely as not to be off just enough to result in an incompletion or an interception. 😑

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jeez bro, You really miss Stetson don't you. 🤣 Not to say you're totally off base.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I admit I do miss Bennett, but that has limited relevance to my dislike of our current QB (mind you, it is isn’t entirely personal, I just never thought Beck was up to the task). Still., as a Dawg fan, my number one desire is to win another championship… so, “freakin’ get it together Mr. Beck!” 🤣

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I miss Stetson, too. He could carry the team on his back, pull the fat out of the fire, and make magic. Of course, the GOAT usually can.

Carson, in my opinion, was a better player last season. I thought, when he decided to come back for one more year, that he'd be better this season than last season. I've not given up on that.

Still., as a Dawg fan, my number one desire is to win another championship… so, “freakin’ get it together Mr. Beck!” 

Surely Carson didn't come back to do worse.

Go, Dawgs!