Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How Do You Cook A Pig In The Ground?

2»

Comments

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@FirePlugDawg said:
    Going through my profile I noticed this (my) OP had been Flagged by someone as Spam. Why would an OP about cooking a pig be considered spam? Oh, wait.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been away for a moment, but good advice here that was already stated. It was a bucket list thing for me to do and I recommend going to the local BBQ joint haha. It was a ton of work prepping the hog. Cleaned up the pig, dug a hole, stuffed the pig with vegetables, wired banana leaves around it, and put steel plates on top for heat. It came out well, but the prep work and pulling meat after a long night with friends made me want to stick to smoking chickens, ribs, butts, etc.

Wouldn’t take the experience back, but don’t foresee me doing it again

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

.> @FirePlugDawg said:

I've seen the tail end of it - a pig in the ground cooked through - I know it is a real thing, but do not know the steps. Is the seasoning all dry rub, as I would think mop basting wouldn't be possible. Flavor wise, is there an advantage to this method versus a spit or grill cooked pig?

Dammit, man! Wife just bragged on my slow-cooked, smoked ribs which led to me getting swindled into cooking a pig for July 4th. I'm thankful for the advice given to your post. We'll be lucky to walk away alive.