Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

False Off-season Narrative About Georgia

TopDawg96TopDawg96 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

It seems the consensus nationally around UGA is their season hinges on the improvement of Jacob Eason. While I understand his pedigree as a recruit and QB's will always be the most recognizable player for media to latch on to, I just don't think that statement is true.

While it'd be great if Eason takes the next step forward, the defense and running game on paper is good enough to win the East even if Jacob is the exact same QB from last season.

Let's remember the last four QB's to win the SEC East were James Franklin, Matty Mauk, Treon Harris, and Austin Appleby. Not exactly household names.

Now I understand you can make a good case those team's defenses were better, but UGA clearly has the best backfield of those past East winners with the defense not far behind if at all.

Thoughts?

Comments

• SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,535 mod

I agree with you @TopDawg that the national talk of Eason is not truly as important as the performance of the revamped offensive line. On the DawgNation Daily podcast they've said the same a few times as well.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

D is a paper tiger if they cannot improve in the red zone.

Eason will improve but must have an OL to be great.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree @TopDawg96 , the key is the O Line. Improvement there = better run game production (how many times did Chubb get tackled as the ball was handed off). Also which QB doesn't have a better comp % when given time to go through his reads and get his feet set; WR also need time to run their routes and get open. It will take a couple of games for the line to meld together before we really know how good they are (they certainly have the talent but will be lacking experience). Pittman is a great coach but also needs his type of players to have a cohesive unit.

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For sure.. that o line stuck Jacob in a lot of third and longs.. our red zone defense cost us Georgia tech game.. our o line cost us tenn game with that fumble in end zone.. and o line cost us vandy.. if o line and red zone d were 15% better, we were 10-2...

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A better offense leads to a better defense through field position and time of possession. Too many 3 and out (not to mention many punts less than 40 yards) wears on the defense. Also, whats the point of having a QB who can throw 60 yards if he has to release the ball in 1 second or less!

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree with everyone, improved O-Line is the key to success. If they can average giving Eason 2-3 extra seconds per pass play (over last year) we will see a tremendous upswing in QB play. Kirby has stated that Jacob is already noticeably improved over last year...can't put too much stock in the artificial environment of G-Day.

Of course O-Line must punch good holes in the D-Lines for Chubb and company to get them started. If they do that Running Back U. is back in business. Personally I am ready to see an O-Line that plays with a nasty streak and finishes every play with serious attitude (just shy of a penalty flag).

Waiting until September may be the hardest part.

WOOF!!!

• SavannahDawg1SavannahDawg1 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think it is a combination of O line + better offense playcalling ( schematically)