Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Augusta—home for the holidays?

Comments

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper said:
    R> @Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Kasey said:

@Kirbstomper said:
    Think i may be moving to the Augusta area in January. Is there anything to do out there?

No. Golf. Eat. Stay in every hotel on Washington road

Sounds fantastic lol. I’m thinking I’ll live in north Augusta or Aiken if I take the job, and may have to travel every weekend if it’s that bad.

I work in Aiken, there's not as much to do here. It's about 20-30 minutes from Augusta. But if you are in Aiken, then go to what they call "The Alley." It's basically a row of restaurants and bars in downtown Aiken. I've only been working here about a month, so I still have plenty to learn on what there's to do around here. They're known for their equestrian, they have a few big horse races this year, and polo going on as well.

Thanks for the tips, I would be working in Aiken as well. I visited this weekend for a day or so and think Aiken seems like a pretty place to live. Just being 27 I want to have a social life too.

At 27, I would recommend living in Augusta and commuting the 20-30 minutes to work. But just my opinion of course, nothing wrong with Aiken, just smaller than Augusta (aka a little less to do).

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BigDawg279 said:
    How old are you Kasey?

There is a small bar scene downtown but that's about it.

I’m 38

And I agree but it’s better than I remember it being

1000%. I’m 36. We had a different term for Aug growing up there. Not much to do for a young man but great place to raise a family. I’m a military brat which took me there, but when I left for college, I made up my mind that I wasn’t coming back to live.

Great place to buy real estate right now, FWIW.

Augusta has gotten a lot better the past decade or so. They're finally investing in downtown and it's been on a big comeback. The plans they have in-store should have it being really great in another roughly 10 years. Where'd you go to school?

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    @Teddy
    The good thing about Aiken is Columbia is 30-45 mins away and Augusta is semi close at 30 mins or so. The bad thing is that , it is Aiken and it’s in Lameflop territory. Suppose you could look into Lexington, Sc. I have some friends that live there and like it. Downtown Aug has been trying to have a movement to bring more restaurants and bars . It’s decent but North aug PD will bust that a.s.s if you think about speeding or a bit intoxicated. I grew up in Evans,Ga. Kasey and I went to same schools albeit a few yes apart.

I'm sorry you had to go to Evans High. That must've been rough on you and @Kasey ;)

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@Teddy said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    @Teddy
    The good thing about Aiken is Columbia is 30-45 mins away and Augusta is semi close at 30 mins or so. The bad thing is that , it is Aiken and it’s in Lameflop territory. Suppose you could look into Lexington, Sc. I have some friends that live there and like it. Downtown Aug has been trying to have a movement to bring more restaurants and bars . It’s decent but North aug PD will bust that a.s.s if you think about speeding or a bit intoxicated. I grew up in Evans,Ga. Kasey and I went to same schools albeit a few yes apart.

I'm sorry you had to go to Evans High. That must've been rough on you and @Kasey ;)

Fighting words!!!!

But as long as it isn’t Lakeside I’m good with it

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BigDawg279 said:
    How old are you Kasey?

There is a small bar scene downtown but that's about it.

I’m 38

And I agree but it’s better than I remember it being

1000%. I’m 36. We had a different term for Aug growing up there. Not much to do for a young man but great place to raise a family. I’m a military brat which took me there, but when I left for college, I made up my mind that I wasn’t coming back to live.

Great place to buy real estate right now, FWIW.

Augusta has gotten a lot better the past decade or so. They're finally investing in downtown and it's been on a big comeback. The plans they have in-store should have it being really great in another roughly 10 years. Where'd you go to school?

Richmond, UGA, then Nova (down here) for grad school.

@Kasey said:

@Teddy said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    @Teddy

Fighting words!!!!

Greenbrier, at least we equally dislike Lakeside.

@Teddy said:

@Kasey said:

@Teddy said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    @Teddy

Fighting words!!!!

Welp y’all destroyed us in football that year. Forget his name but #7 RB, class of 2000 was a monster. We had mutual respect for each other after a couple of good hits, lol.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ll be there on Christmas Day, but doubt I’ll be coming up prior.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    @Kirbstomper @Teddy

If you want to avoid Lameflop territory, stay out of Lexington. It’s the front porch of the Chicken Coop. Lexington’s growing too, but traffic there is horrible. If you don’t want to live in Aiken itself, North Augusta is growing, close enough to Aiken where the commute isn’t bad, but also close to Augusta. The CSRA (Augusta/N. Augusta) have definitely grown since I left (1997). It’s not Atlanta, but it’s not Columbia (SC), so it has that going for it.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@Kasey said:

@Teddy said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    @Teddy

Fighting words!!!!

Go pack!

• Ugadawg1993Ugadawg1993 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    Who’s gonna be in Augusta for the holidays? I’ll be there dec 21-24. Anyone wanna meet up for a drink and talk how great we are/gonna be?

I’ll be there in born and bred there

• BigDawg279BigDawg279 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kasey said:

@Teddy said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    @Teddy

Fighting words!!!!

Lakeside class of 91 here!! LOL

@BigDawg279 said:

@Kasey said:

@Teddy said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    @Teddy

Fighting words!!!!

Lakeside class of 91 here!! LOL

So close to a down vote there ;)

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    if you decide to party in savannah, hit me up

I was just there for work. Working with Memorial Health.

Interesting @SoFL_Dawg Memorial is where I work. Are you employed with HCA?

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

No but there my companies largest customer 180+ hospitals we support. Da Vinci robotics is what I rep.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

No but there my companies largest customer 180+ hospitals we support. Da Vinci robotics is what I rep.

If you are ever back this way let me know

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

If you are ever back this way let me know

Absolutely.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m in Lake Oconee and have one of my satellite offices in Aiken, so I go through there from time to time.

I’ll check my schedule.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

Wow..no idea so folks were from the Augusta area! I grew up in Atlanta but my whole family is from there. My mom’s side from Augusta proper and my Dad’s used to own a lot of land in Columbia county from revolutionary times. They met at Richmond academy. Most of my cousins went to Episcopal Day and/or Westminster but I think a couple may have gone to the aforementioned Lakeside.

I’ve been making the trek there for every Christmas and thanksgiving since I can remember but my family seems to have gotten more contentious over the years so I don’t end up staying more than Christmas Eve a lot of times now lol. I usually stay at the Partridge Inn bc it’s near my aunt’s house but I guess nowhere in Augusta is particularly far away so let me know if y’all get something going. Might stick around for an extra night.

Interesting to hear about the new places..I havent been downtown in years. Or tried any new restaurants. I just wish that Wifesaver(hole in the wall fried chicken local chain) hadn’t apparently gone out of business. My grandmother used to really like the French Market place in Surrey Center. Don’t know if it’s still there anymore.

@scooterdawg said:
    Wow..no idea so folks were from the Augusta area! I grew up in Atlanta but my whole family is from there. My mom’s side from Augusta proper and my Dad’s used to own a lot of land in Columbia county from revolutionary times. They met at Richmond academy. Most of my cousins went to Episcopal Day and/or Westminster but I think a couple may have gone to the aforementioned Lakeside.

I’ve been making the trek there for every Christmas and thanksgiving since I can remember but my family seems to have gotten more contentious over the years so I don’t end up staying more than Christmas Eve a lot of times now lol. I usually stay at the Partridge Inn bc it’s near my aunt’s house but I guess nowhere in Augusta is particularly far away so let me know if y’all get something going. Might stick around for an extra night.

Interesting to hear about the new places..I havent been downtown in years. Or tried any new restaurants. I just wish that Wifesaver(hole in the wall fried chicken local chain) hadn’t apparently gone out of business. My grandmother used to really like the French Market place in Surrey Center. Don’t know if it’s still there anymore.

Stillwater downtown isn’t bad. If I need to get away from my family for some of grandpa’s cough medicine I’ll send out the bat signal. Probably a Friday or Saturday