Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Atlanta United

Comments

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:
    Look, I like soccer way more than basketball & hockey. I follow the USMNT fervently—Have for 25 years. That being said, calling this “Atlanta’s [or state of Georgia’s] 1st Major Sports Championship since ‘95 Braves” is bullsh*t. And it makes us look desperate— A parade? Really?

Congrats to ATL UTD! But people need to stop equating this to a Braves World Series Title, Falcons Super Bowl win, Dawgs Natty, or> @Dakota_Nester said:

Watch the United , don’t watch the United, the team could care less. They sold out every home game and set the MLS record for 7 of the 10 highest sellouts . The CITY OF ATLANTA embraced the team and over 200,000 people celebrated the championship in a parade in the freaking rain .The MLS CUP was bonkers and no one has seen anything like it. Yeah the premier league is better, but the NFL is higher ranked thank UGA footballl. So UGA wins it all and it’s not the same because it’s not the best of the best ? Soccer is the #1 sport in the WORLD. The United is the best team in the MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER league . State wide, more fans care than in any other major league sport . If the Falcons won it all, great, but they’re not close. If you actually follwed the MLS, you’d see more professional players are coming, and not to retire. You might hate soccer, but the rest of the state embraced the CHAMPIONS OF MLS.

I know a ton of people. I’ve been in business for myself for over 20yrs. I don’t know anyone that likes soccer.

That just means you’re old.

I wouldn’t say 40 is old. Lmao

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@Dawg1419 said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:
    Look, I like soccer way more than basketball & hockey. I follow the USMNT fervently—Have for 25 years. That being said, calling this “Atlanta’s [or state of Georgia’s] 1st Major Sports Championship since ‘95 Braves” is bullsh*t. And it makes us look desperate— A parade? Really?

Congrats to ATL UTD! But people need to stop equating this to a Braves World Series Title, Falcons Super Bowl win, Dawgs Natty, or> @Dakota_Nester said:

Watch the United , don’t watch the United, the team could care less. They sold out every home game and set the MLS record for 7 of the 10 highest sellouts . The CITY OF ATLANTA embraced the team and over 200,000 people celebrated the championship in a parade in the freaking rain .The MLS CUP was bonkers and no one has seen anything like it. Yeah the premier league is better, but the NFL is higher ranked thank UGA footballl. So UGA wins it all and it’s not the same because it’s not the best of the best ? Soccer is the #1 sport in the WORLD. The United is the best team in the MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER league . State wide, more fans care than in any other major league sport . If the Falcons won it all, great, but they’re not close. If you actually follwed the MLS, you’d see more professional players are coming, and not to retire. You might hate soccer, but the rest of the state embraced the CHAMPIONS OF MLS.

I know a ton of people. I’ve been in business for myself for over 20yrs. I don’t know anyone that likes soccer.

You must not get out much then, or live in a rural area. Soccer fans are everywhere

• Options

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

You must not get out much then, or live in a rural area. Soccer fans are everywhere

I travel 65/100 miles a day spraying yards. I see plenty of Uga,gt,falcons, flags. Plenty of people wearing braves, Georgia hats, tees. Only people we see wearing soccer stuff is when we got eat Mexican food. It’s mostly what’s playing on tv in their restaurants. Very rarely do I see anything soccer.

• Options

@Dawg1419 said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

I travel 65/100 miles a day spraying yards. I see plenty of Uga,gt,falcons, flags. Plenty of people wearing braves, Georgia hats, tees. Only people we see wearing soccer stuff is when we got eat Mexican food. It’s mostly what’s playing on tv in their restaurants. Very rarely do I see anything soccer.

So, in business for yourself over 20 years and you’re only 40 years old. You drive around, don’t see flags, and Hispanic/Latinos are the only fans. You’ve said all I need to hear. Thanks

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dakota_Nester said:

@Dawgsauce said:
    I feel like we've veered off course a touch from my question. Does this break the curse, and if not can we form a task force to find the goat we have to bleed or the witch we have to burn. I'm 43, so at least I have memories of the last NC for the Dawgs. I'd rather not wait too much longer for it to happen again or for the Birds to win their first Super Bowl because I might be dead. Maybe we can hire that little lady from poltergeist to cleanse the state. Or, maybe the MLS win did it. I just need answers really.

• Options

@Pigeons said:

@Dawg1419 said:

Do you know what anecdotal evidence is?

Just because you don't have soccer fans in your little friend group or you don't see people flying flags doesn't mean they don't exist.

The untied sold out 40k season tickets and there is about a 5k person wait list.

There were not intentions to open the top level for soccer. However, due to how popular they are they were forced to do it for some games.

The team sold out every game the last 2 years whether both decks were open or not. It wasn't just the playoffs.

MLS Cup had the highest ratings in 20 years and that's because the United were in it.

I said it before but the United have averaged more fans than any MLB, NBA or NHL team over the last 2 years. Let that sink in....

You can be obtuse if you want but there are United fans out there. Lots of them.

Didn’t say they didn’t exist brother. I just never see the support is all. Glad y’all have something to cheer about.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

So, in business for yourself over 20 years and you’re only 40 years old. You drive around, don’t see flags, and Hispanic/Latinos are the only fans. You’ve said all I need to hear. Thanks

Don’t be jealous. Some folk didn’t run around at 20 chasing girls. I worked my asz off so they would chase me lmao.

• Options

@Dawg1419 said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@Pigeons said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

Don’t be jealous. Some folk didn’t run around at 20 chasing girls. I worked my asz off so they would chase me lmao.

Congrats! I believe you!!

• Options
    DCLeeDCLee Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

@Dakota_Nester said:

@TNDawg71 said:
    It stinks to come to a thread about a pretty large victory by a local team in a an extremely popular sport and have half the posts at least be about how it shouldn't be celebrated by our own board trolls. If you aren't interested in soccer or MLS. feel free to avoid the thread.

@TNDawg71 said:
    It stinks to come to a thread about a pretty large victory by a local team in a an extremely popular sport and have half the posts at least be about how it shouldn't be celebrated by our own board trolls. If you aren't interested in soccer or MLS. feel free to avoid the thread.

@TNDawg71 said:

EXACTLY !!!! 20 posters hate it but the rest do the state embraced it. Be glad atlanta has another championship since freaking 1995. Welcome to the new age, soccer is growing

Well said. You will always have haters and unfortunately they have nothing better to do than spew crap in threads. They are a closed minded group. I'm 47 and have seen this sport grow from the ground up and there is still plenty of haters out there and always will be but IT IS GROWING! It is amazing to see!! What happened in MBS on Dec 8th is still hard to fathom for me. I lived in Atlanta in my 20s and was told to quiet it down at a game 6 NLCS game in 1998 so to see the passionate support that Atlanta United gets is still hard to believe and SO MUCH FUN TO SEE! Thanks for breaking the curse. I'm excited to see the Dawgs add some hardware next.

Ignore the haters. It is there loss.

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DCLee said:

@Dakota_Nester said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

EXACTLY !!!! 20 posters hate it but the rest do the state embraced it. Be glad atlanta has another championship since freaking 1995. Welcome to the new age, soccer is growing

Well said. You will always have haters and unfortunately they have nothing better to do than spew crap in threads. They are a closed minded group. I'm 47 and have seen this sport grow from the ground up and there is still plenty of haters out there and always will be but IT IS GROWING! It is amazing to see!! What happened in MBS on Dec 8th is still hard to fathom for me. I lived in Atlanta in my 20s and was told to quiet it down at a game 6 NLCS game in 1998 so to see the passionate support that Atlanta United gets is still hard to believe and SO MUCH FUN TO SEE! Thanks for breaking the curse. I'm excited to see the Dawgs add some hardware next.

Finally! Someone who has said the curse is broken! OK then!

• Options

Did Trump have the ball team over for a big congrats?

• Options

@Dawg1419 said:

MLS champs usually visit the White House, unless they’re protesting Trump.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whatever the quality, we won the championship of the league we are in. It’s lkke going to war with Iraq - they may not be the biggest opponent, but if you’re fighting then, you need to win. No one is saying winning the MLS makes UTD World Champions, just that we win the MLS. The games are great, and the city should celebrate.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgsauce said:

@DCLee said:

@Dakota_Nester said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@Dawgsauce said:

@DCLee said:

@Dakota_Nester said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

Curse isn’t broken when the 182nd ranked soccer team in the world wins a local championship that the governing body of their sport doesn’t even talk/care about.

Atlanta soccer power index? #182

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/global-club-soccer-rankings/

Please stop calling a team that has 182 teams ranked ahead of them champions.

• Options

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawgsauce said:

@DCLee said:

@Dakota_Nester said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@Dawgsauce said:

@DCLee said:

@Dakota_Nester said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

Curse isn’t broken when the 182nd ranked soccer team in the world wins a local championship that the governing body of their sport doesn’t even talk/care about.

Atlanta soccer power index? #182

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/global-club-soccer-rankings/

Please stop calling a team that has 182 teams ranked ahead of them champions.

As stated before, soccer is tremendously more popular than the big 4 sports in America, thus can support tons of professional leagues. The fact that out of 1,000s of pro soccer teams in the world that Atlanta (in its second year) is already 182 is really good. I guess football is a local championship too, eh? It’s not played around the world that much, so has a small pool of players compared to the bigger sports, like soccer.

• Options

@greshamdisco said:
    Whatever the quality, we won the championship of the league we are in. It’s lkke going to war with Iraq - they may not be the biggest opponent, but if you’re fighting then, you need to win. No one is saying winning the MLS makes UTD World Champions, just that we win the MLS. The games are great, and the city should celebrate.

Well said. It looked like a fun party. Wish the weather had cooperated for everyone in the A-T-L.

The other thing that is annoying is anyone proclaiming themselves the work champs in a domestic sport. It doesn't matter if you think the best players play in a certain league like the NFL, MLB, Hockey, etc... It doesn't mean you are the world champs unless you are beating teams from all around the world like an international tournament like the World Cup or the Olympics.

And for those saying the champ would easily beat any other team from around the world watch any sport anywhere in the world on any given day and there are results that happen that are unexpected so no one should be claiming themseleves world champs for winning a domestic league.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

The MLS champs have been going every year like all the sports teams do unless they decide to not go which has been happening a lot lately with Mr. Trump.

• Options

Atlanta brought back their captain today, Michael Parkhurst. Nice to see him rewarded!

• Options

@DCLee said:

@Teddy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

The MLS champs have been going every year like all the sports teams do unless they decide to not go which has been happening a lot lately with Mr. Trump.

Please provide a link where they were invited or turned down an invitation.