Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Atlanta United

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mqg96 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@mqg96 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@101ina45 said:

@IrishGrudge said:

MLS stands for "major league soccer". It's a sport that's growing. There was a time when the NBA was young and when NFL was young too You never know if MLS becomes on the level of that one day, and MLS has been growing every year.

They can name the league whatever they choose, but that doesn't make it "major". On a talent level, this is equivalent to the Mississippi Braves winning their minor league system. True that one day the league might grow to one of the World's best, but we should wait to throw a parade until that happens. Your acknowledgement that the league isn't there yet is an acknowledgement that my statement is correct.

No it's not lol, and you're wrong. You're comparing a minor league to a major league. You must haven't been paying attention to 92.9 on radio or the huge fanbase MLS fans have nationwide and worldwide. The crowd in a MAJOR LEAGUE soccer game was electric. If you're talking about the BIG 4 professional sports then I'll agree with you but to say this isn't a major pro sports title is completely wrong.

Go on google and type in "major pro sports", in order it'll list the big 4 first "MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL" and guess what's next in line.... "MLS". Yep, that's right. MLS is the closest professional sports in popularity right now to joining those 4 so it can become the BIG 5.

See, I guarantee you when the DAWGS finally when a national title one day, fans outside of us will be making excuses for Georgia's first national title in decades. Just watch. People will be saying "well it took you this long" or "you got lucky" blah blah blah.

So I'm enjoying the moment for the Atlanta United right now. Across Georgia since last year we've been seeing Atlanta United stickers and banners everywhere whether it was on people's cars or hung up in front of their houses. Don't even try to compare MLS any "minor league" sport because it's not.

MLS is 2nd tier right now but the league is trying to expand to 28 teams by the early 2020's and not for long it might become 1st tier with the big 4 sports making it become the big 5. People still count the Celtics titles decades back when there were hardly any NBA teams, way less than there are MLS franchises right now.

When they can compete regularly with European and SA teams, they’ll be ML.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    What sport do they play?

Is it the one where they sweep in front of a big rock on ice ?

Nah, I think that's hurling

In case you aren't joking--it's "curling."

• Options
    a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 337 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Red_N_Black said:
    Realistically, the rest of the world fell in love with soccer because that's all they had and all they knew. If they had been exposed to football, baseball and basketball first, like us, soccer more than likely wouldn't even still exist or at least it would be a minor sport sort of like it is here now. Although a lot of folks will outwardly disagree with me, I believe that deep down everybody has got to know what I'm saying is true.

Thanks for being the perfect stereotype of a southern conservative. If the Hollywood or New York left wingers were to try to make a stereotype of a southerner they wouldn't do as good a job as you just did in real life without the slightest bit of sarcasm or irony.

First off, basketball was invented by a Canadianwho wanted a sport that was less violent than the sports and activities that were common for the era. Seriously.

Second, professional football existed in Canada before it ever did in America.

Third, the rest of the world had rugby, hockey, golf, lacrosse, cricket, tennis etc. long before football and basketball came along.

The idea that "soccer is so popular because that is all they have" is something that may be true to a degree in third world countries. It has never been the case anywhere else. And even a lot of those third world countries have been playing baseball and basketball for decades.

I despise the liberals who hate sports and pretend to like soccer just to spite the American sports fans. But American sports fans who hate soccer are almost as bad. Especially considering that lots of soccer fans love baseball, basketball and football whenever they are exposed to it. They watch the World Series and the Super Bowl in addition to the World Cup, their kids play in the Little League World Series and the kids who win it become national heroes and get far more attention and fame than LLWS teams in America get, where it barely registers a brief mention in the local paper. Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Larry Bird etc. are superstars worldwide. And so on.

I am not saying that you have to like soccer. I myself find it unwatchable. I am just saying that bashing people who do like it, as if there is something wrong with the sport or its true fans - again not the fake fans who only use it to mock American football fans (curiously they never play basketball against soccer, only football, I guess because far more lefties like basketball) makes no sense.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

When the Atlanta Chiefs won the North American Soccer League title back in 1968, they tried to proclaim it as Atlanta's first major sports title. That same season they also had 2 victories over mighty Manchester United. We were told that this was the beginning of the inevitable rise of soccer as a major sport in the South. That, my friend, was exactly 50 years ago. It ain't happened yet. And while we do see some bigger crowds now, almost all this is attributable to changing demographics in the area. As for energetic crowds meaning anything, you'll find nothing including soccer, Bulldogs, or any other sport begins to compare with little girls cheerleading competitions. If you disagree with me on this it's because you have never been to one.

• Options

@JayDog said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    What sport do they play?

Is it the one where they sweep in front of a big rock on ice ?

Nah, I think that's hurling

In case you aren't joking--it's "curling."

Thanks JayDog. I was trying to be funny, just like curling.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:

I guess 22 million illegals can't be wrong. Ya' know soccer is becoming so popular nowadays maybe I'll go over to the old high school this week and take in a match. Better get there early though. There's bound to be a huge , standing room only crowd.

22 million illegals voted this year in San Francisco alone...they can't say on the innerwebs if it ain't so.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ironically , the United draw more fans than the Falcons do. The logic “soccer is not a sport so I don’t claim the championship” is ****. Until this past season, the Braves attendance was spotty at best. I bet you poll people in Georgia under 30, and the United would probably be #2 or #3 most popular team. Give it 10 years and the success keeps up, it’ll pass the Hawks and May even pass the Braves

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dakota_Nester said:
    Give it 10 years and the success keeps up, it’ll pass the Hawks and May even pass the Braves

Who are the Hawks?

• Options

@greshamdisco said:

@Dakota_Nester said:
    Give it 10 years and the success keeps up, it’ll pass the Hawks and May even pass the Braves

Who are the Hawks?

A hurling team?

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@12ed said:

@Kirbstomper said:
    Is the curse broken?

No.

We have to sacrifice Tim Tebow in a fiery blaze to the CFB gods in the Ocmulgee national monument to break the curse.

I'm all in for that, keeps him off my TV

• Options
    DCLeeDCLee Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Congrats to Atlanta United! Happy for the city of Atlanta and love how the city is behind the team minus a few boneheaded closed minded individuals(Red and Black comes to mind). So funny how much these few closed minded fans are missing to. You definitely need to get to an Atlanta United or any professional soccer game near you. If you go with an open mind you should have a good time with the fan experience alone even if you don't completely understand the game.

College football and soccer are my 2 favorite sports so for any fan that enjoys college football then you need to open your mind. You re missing out. A good college football atmosphere (like Sanford or most SEC home games) is VERY comparable to most MLS stadiums especially Atlanta but also my favorite team, D.C. United and almost any place in the world. The passion and energy the fans bring to soccer and college football is unlike any sport anywhere else in the world that I have experienced live or on TV!

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It doesnt matter how jazzed up a fan base gets, the number of their fans, or the volume of the stadium. It's about the talent of the league and in this regard MLS is AA baseball, at best.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    It doesnt matter how jazzed up a fan base gets, the number of their fans, or the volume of the stadium. It's about the talent of the league and in this regard MLS is AA baseball, at best.

Not really. The number of soccer players in the world by far exceed number of football players (265 million vs. 5-10 million estimates), thus a lot more great talent and they can support many professional leagues. It is the world’s sport after all. Is MLS as good as some European leagues? No, but they are a good league. About 15th best out of hundreds of professional leagues worldwide. Either way, you can down this championship all you want.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@Bankwalker said:

Not really. The number of soccer players in the world by far exceed number of football players (265 million vs. 5-10 million estimates), thus a lot more great talent and they can support many professional leagues. It is the world’s sport after all. Is MLS as good as some European leagues? No, but they are a good league. About 15th best out of hundreds of professional leagues worldwide. Either way, you can down this championship all you want.

Many of the guys in this league are good enough to play in the premier league, but choose to play here. Overall, the quality is less, but don't knock it.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgsauce said:
    They are up 2-0 with 63 minutes played. Will the curse of Georgia sports teams haunt this new ATL sports team?

Lol. They aren’t even in the 3rd highest soccer division. They aren’t “champions”. They won a junior world division which is the American MLS. The MLS is an inferior league to the British, Spanish, European, and Mexican leagues. Atlanta United is a nice little team but most soccer fans can instantly rattle off 10 teams from other leagues that could curb stomp them.

It’s not like football where you are the best team anywhere, it’s not like baseball, basketball, or even NHL hockey. Those champions are the best in the world. MLS soccer is like the 5-6th ranked league in the world and the average soccer fan outside of the US wouldn’t have even heard of them. That’s why it’s not a real championship.

• Options
    DCLeeDCLee Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Dawgsauce said:
    They are up 2-0 with 63 minutes played. Will the curse of Georgia sports teams haunt this new ATL sports team?

Lol. They aren’t even in the 3rd highest soccer division. They aren’t “champions”. They won a junior world division which is the American MLS. The MLS is an inferior league to the British, Spanish, European, and Mexican leagues. Atlanta United is a nice little team but most soccer fans can instantly rattle off 10 teams from other leagues that could curb stomp them.

It’s not like football where you are the best team anywhere, it’s not like baseball, basketball, or even NHL hockey. Those champions are the best in the world. MLS soccer is like the 5-6th ranked league in the world and the average soccer fan outside of the US wouldn’t have even heard of them. That’s why it’s not a real championship.

And these are some of the best players. Miguel Almiron is about to be playing in the top league in the world but what does it matter. It is good quality football/soccer and if you are to blind to see that then your loss. And I'm not really sure why you are on this board commenting if you dislike it so much unless your nervous it is on the rise.