Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Books

1356717

Comments

  • threeandfuormakeonethreeandfuormakeone Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

    "Gridiron Genius" by Michael Lombardi,

  • scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Several recs for Lombardi books. I've listened to him for years on Grantland and Ringer podcasts but being a Patriots hater he does get on my nerves with the Belichek love at times. I do like that outside of the guys on the Pats he doesn't mind talking ish about GMs and coaches unlike some of the jocksniffers.

  • allywallyw Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @JRT812 said:

    @Bankwalker said:
    Signing Their Lives Away: The Fame and Misfortune of the Men Who Signed the Declaration of Independence.

    The 4th of July is not our true “Independence Day”.

    https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/signing-their-lives-away-denise-kiernan/1015204326#reviews

    Signing our lives away sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing that!

    I’m going to read this too!

  • scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @christopherules said:

    @scooterdawg said:

    @christopherules said:
    @scooterdawg I am a pretty HUGE Tom Clancy fan. I must say that I really do love the Public Library system FREE iPhone, (and ANDROID too) APP(s) and it is called "Overdrive".... as I simply do not have the kind of time that I would like to have, and leisurely turn pages anymore like I did in my younger days? Besides that, I have to use "readers" these days also, and they are a pain! I also enjoy that most public libraries use this free program for their respective "E-libraries" and that is where I have found FREE AUDIO-BOOKS to check out for periods of either 14 days, or sometimes 21 days at a time. I simply download the entire book into my iPhone, and it's done. When the audio-book is due? There are no late fees either! I am currently listening to "Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy.

    I’m a Clancy fan from way back. I was reading Red Storm Rising, which is slightly shorter than the Bible, when I was probably 12 lol. I even liked some of the ones he did with other authors before he died. Unlike the crap that James Patterson will slap his name on, the late Clancy books still felt like he had input and had actually picked the right guys to help him write.

    Good call on the library. I looked into it before but I was in a rural county in the mountains so no such luck on audiobooks but now that I’m back in Fulton I need to look into it again.

    @scooterdawg Agree completely on "Red Storm Rising." I was out at sea somewhere in the Pacific Ocean on the US Navy Aircraft Carrier USS Independence back in the day while I was serving in the US Marines. I got a paperback copy of Red Storm Rising from a USMC buddy who was also stuck out there on that ship with me. He said, "you have got to read this book!" What followed was about 4 or 5 days of my getting just no sleep at all!! I simply couldn't put that book down! At the time? It scared the crap out of me. I mean I was on Active Duty in the Marines, and I am reading this stuff..... it was like, WOW! This seems very, very plausible! That really was a scary page turner!

    I hear ya man. Hunt For Red October and Patriot Games were better as a quick read but those enormous ones like Red Storm were just epic. And usually plausible for the time. He had ones with modern China and Russia too. But yeah, I can't imagine reading that while in the service.

  • orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    If you like westerns Louis L’Amour has a ton of great short story reads. Some of you old guys know who I’m talking about. Back in the day I’d sneak’em into work and read while working 12hr shift on extrusion line.

  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I’m going to have to check out red storm rising @christopherules & @scooterdawg Never heard of it, but y’all make it sound amazing

  • christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @JRT812 Hey Bro, you’ll like it. But it’s a really BIG BOOK, and it is somewhat “dated” nowadays due to it being a fictional Cold War EPIC between the USA & (the former) USSR. However, I was blown away by the attention to detail (& although it’s a work of fiction) it’s technical accuracy for the weaponry in use at that time, which was during the 1980s. Back then? It was a very scary read!! Gave me HD nightmares! LOL

  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @christopherules said:
    @JRT812 Hey Bro, you’ll like it. But it’s a really BIG BOOK, and it is somewhat “dated” nowadays due to it being a fictional Cold War EPIC between the USA & (the former) USSR. However, I was blown away by the attention to detail (& although it’s a work of fiction) it’s technical accuracy for the weaponry in use at that time, which was during the 1980s. Back then? It was a very scary read!! Gave me HD nightmares! LOL

    Liking how it sounds. I have added a few books to my reading list since this “book club” started today, but I’m going to try finding a soft back version tomorrow. Thanks again!

  • how2fishhow2fish Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @HumbleYourself said:
    Just finished "The Name of the Wind" and its sequel "The Wise Man's Fear"....both were excellent for anyone who enjoys fantasy.

    What you may find damning about those is that the author seems like he will never finish the series but the first two are great books.

  • how2fishhow2fish Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Casanova_Flatulence said:
    I'm reading Conn Iggulden's series on Julius Caesar. His Genghis Kahn series is fantastic as well.

    Iggulden is very good. I would suggest if you like historical fiction... Christen Cameron series starting with The ill made Knight...he also writes a fantasy series under the name of Myles Cameron that is great first book in that series is called The Red Knight and is very good. Also Bernard Cornwall's Sharpe series is great reading , hell anything by Cornwall is if you're interested in English historical fiction.

  • Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Wonder if it’s just me but I haven’t read a book in over 20 yrs.

  • LazendaddyLazendaddy Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Currently reading The Martian by Andy Weir. Weir is a genius with all the technical stuff in this book when it comes to NASA and space and being an Astronaut. Pretty fascinating. Would recommend

  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @orlando said:
    If you like westerns Louis L’Amour has a ton of great short story reads. Some of you old guys know who I’m talking about. Back in the day I’d sneak’em into work and read while working 12hr shift on extrusion line.

    My favorite of L'Amour's was a non-western - Last Of The Breed - about an American Indian AF pilot who escapes from a Russian prison and travels across Siberia to freedom while being chased by the equivalent of a Russian Indian - their best tracker. Really, really good read.

  • MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Bleachers by John Grisham for Friday Night Lights afficiannados. IT JUST MEANS MORE! 😂😂😂😂😂

  • rpaulk4552rpaulk4552 Posts: 9 ✭✭ Sophomore

    Anything by Greg Iles.

    The quiet game
    The bone tree

  • scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

    @rpaulk4552 said:
    Anything by Greg Iles.

    The quiet game
    The bone tree

    I hear ya. I've read all of his stuff. I think he even had a one off set in a WW2 prison camp some years back that was good. Anyone who likes Grisham should try Iles.

    Edit: Black Cross was the WW2 one. Pretty good iirc.

  • HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @scooterdawg said:

    @HumbleYourself said:
    Just finished "The Name of the Wind" and its sequel "The Wise Man's Fear"....both were excellent for anyone who enjoys fantasy.

    Two of my favorite fantasy books. A girl I was dating some years back got me into Rothfuss and Martin as I had a bad opinion of fantasy. I loved both but unfortunately they are the two WORST examples of writers not being able to finish a series to the point of pissing off their fans lol. George is going on a decade or more since his last book and Rothfuss isn’t far behind. Both have also put out other books in the meantime making it even more annoying. And both get salty when fans get on them.

    Rothfuss very well might be trolling us...Especially after publishing The Slow Regard of Silent Things...should have stayed silent on that one.

  • HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    All works by Terry Pratchett are worthy reads...if you can't enjoy Discworld...you have are incapable of joy.

  • scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @HumbleYourself said:

    @scooterdawg said:

    @HumbleYourself said:
    Just finished "The Name of the Wind" and its sequel "The Wise Man's Fear"....both were excellent for anyone who enjoys fantasy.

    Two of my favorite fantasy books. A girl I was dating some years back got me into Rothfuss and Martin as I had a bad opinion of fantasy. I loved both but unfortunately they are the two WORST examples of writers not being able to finish a series to the point of pissing off their fans lol. George is going on a decade or more since his last book and Rothfuss isn’t far behind. Both have also put out other books in the meantime making it even more annoying. And both get salty when fans get on them.

    Rothfuss very well might be trolling us...Especially after publishing The Slow Regard of Silent Things...should have stayed silent on that one.

    Totally agree.

Sign In or Register to comment.