Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Is this good or bad advice?

2»

Comments

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Bad

@Kasey said:
    Wait I voted before I realized this was for a first date. This reads like a manual for socially awkward individuals

If a socially awkward individual tried to follow an in-depth detailed script like that on something that can be as awkward as a first date, they’d get home and want to kill themselves because of how many times they screwed the script up. Just trying to memorize the script alone would put enough pressure on the whole thing to kill any fun that could be had.

Only advice I liked was eating something light before going. That’s happened to me before where I’m starving, the food smells awesome, but I’m not wanting to eat too much because the girl has ordered a salad.

The advice also picked up on that weird thing girls like to do where they like to share the dessert. But it was explaned weird.

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok so as one of the forum females, here’s my opinion:

There’s nothing wrong with putting some effort into planning a date, but keep it simple. Women will know if you’re trying to be someone you’re not. And the whole goal is to get to know someone better. If you’re pretending to be someone you’re not, that goal is not achieved.

Also, I saw one gentleman above mention to keep things organic. That’s good advice. A date should be driven by good conversation and a fun night out. Don’t overthink it, but don’t be afraid to put forth a little bit of effort.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My first date with my wife was to Walmart. She didn’t have a truck to go get a grill. That was 22yrs ago. Second date was to franklin’s gun shop in Athens then to the hunting camp. I don’t fake it. I live it.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Bad

@FirePlugDawg said:
    Someone said that a woman knows within seconds if she will sleep with you

That’s probably close to the truth. I always assumed she was okay with the idea once she agreed to go out. From there it was just my job not to prove her first instinct wrong. Don’t go looking for a wife or else you’ll find one you might regret.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is terrible advice and anyone that purposively votes “good” should be ashamed. Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t think of one girl I’ve dated or wanted to date that thought creme brûlée was some exotic dessert or that the Civil War monument was some great first date joke lol.

Also, I’m fairly certain that the entire post was a really well done troll post.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Bad

This is good advice if you're about to propose to her but for a 1st date, that's WAY over the top. Just do something simple like take her to eat at a steak house then go bowling or something like that. Be sure to pay for everything, open the doors for her and eye contact when talking to her. AND BE VERY INTERESTED IN EVERTHING SHE SAYS.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@Bulldawg1982 said:
    This is good advice if you're about to propose to her but for a 1st date, that's WAY over the top. Just do something simple like take her to eat at a steak house then go bowling or something like that. Be sure to pay for everything, open the doors for her and eye contact when talking to her. AND BE VERY INTERESTED IN EVERTHING SHE SAYS.

This times 100. The best dates I've been on have been doing something simple like dinner and then an activity. I think a lot of people miss the activity part. Nothing cuts down on awkward small talk and breaks the ice like bowling, shooting pool, mini golf, or just taking a walk somewhere. Sounds boring but anyone who has only done dinner and a movie will be very pleasantly surprised.

Save the over the top stuff for once you know y'all are even compatible. Most women will be plenty impressed by a guy who is a gentleman and fun to hang out with on a first date. They've probably been on plenty of bad ones.

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good grief I thought this was the 21st century, just keep swiping until somebody pops up wearin a bulldog sweatshirt and says she likes BBQ ribs. Everything else will take care of itself.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Bad

@dawgitimafan said:
    Good grief I thought this was the 21st century, just keep swiping until somebody pops up wearin a bulldog sweatshirt and says she likes BBQ ribs. Everything else will take care of itself.

@dawgitimafan amen.