Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

I just don't get putting clothes on dogs.

ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
edited January 2019 in General

Mine don't even wear collars unless we are off property.

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not even uniforms on game day ? how would we identify who makes the tackle ?

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bye the blood.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mine wears a collar

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mine get a bandanna on game day.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA wears a jersey. Just sayin'....

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought it was a dumb idea too. But then I was at a friend’s house who’s lap dog always had a shirt on. Well the dog was rolling around on the ground beneath me, and his shirt came off. So I picked the shirt up and tried to put the shirt back on the dog. The dog about jumped into the shirt and had a big smile on his face after he got his shirt back on. I barely had to do anything.

For whatever reason, some of these dogs really love wearing clothing. Maybe they think it makes them more like people? I don’t know.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THunder jackets help dogs feel secure. Maybe clothes work the same way, only without the thunder?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ive had dogs who LOVED wearing a shirt. For the record, I have never bought a shirt for a dog. It’s okay for your dog to wear something as long as your wife or girlfriend made the purchase. Guys who buy clothes for their pets? Very questionable behavior.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve never had a dog that didn’t hate having stuff put on them. And I’ve always had dachshunds, mostly minis, as it’s a family tradition, so size wasn’t a thing. My last one had a skin issue for a bit where her hair fell out mostly and the vet told me to put a “coat” on her when going outside as it was winter. I bought one and she would run and hide every time she saw it. If I managed to get it on her she’d roll around until she got it off.

UGA does look good in his jersey though.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    THunder jackets help dogs feel secure. Maybe clothes work the same way, only without the thunder?

Some breeds are very susceptible to cold weather as well.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We put neoprene vests on our retrievers sometimes while duck hunting. The vests have extra flotation and keep em warm...

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

This is a response to @ugaforever for posting some bs on my page about me cropping MY dogs ears. I’m calling you out coward.
    Guess what @ugaforever it’s my dam n dog and I’ll do what I dam n well want to with her. Go mind your own business and not mine snowflake. Also I docked her tail. Get a life loser.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@Dawg1419 said:
    This is a response to @ugaforever for posting some bs on my page about me cropping MY dogs ears. I’m calling you out coward.
    Guess what @ugaforever it’s my dam n dog and I’ll do what I dam n well want to with her. Go mind your own business and not mine snowflake. Also I docked her tail. Get a life loser.

your right, but I hate that it is done

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@allyw said:
    We put neoprene vests on our retrievers sometimes while duck hunting. The vests have extra flotation and keep em warm...

this

and my dogs do wear a jersey on game day

and while I don't live in a cold environment it makes sense for those who do

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mine dressed as a hot dog for Halloween one year, my daughter had a matching costume.

edited January 2019

@allyw said:

My wife puts an "Outward Hound" flotation jacket on the Aussie when she takes him paddle boarding.
    It is easier than putting clothes on cats though.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

I never have put clothes on my dogs, but I think I'm going to start putting a red bandanna on my dog when it's game day.

[EDIT] -- Thanks for the idea, @Catfish

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What about uga?

@DirtDawg said:
    I never have put clothes on my dogs, but I think I'm going to start putting a red bandanna on my dog when it's game day.

@DirtDawg said:

You can get a UGA bandanna pretty cheap, but red would work great too!

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@allyw said:

Well now I have to backtrack. I did buy a camo neoprene vest for my dog, and a hunter orange chest protector for my bird dog to protect from stubble and briars. I also made cordura booties to protect her feet when running her in areas with cockleburrs and wheat stubble. So my rule is revised: It's okay for a guy to buy clothes for his dog if the purpose is for hunting or some other "toxic" manly activity. A man buying his dog a sweater, scarf, or something of that ilk is still very questionable behavior.