Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Call For A Better Board

kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Alright, I've been called out twice for redundancy on posts. Fine. I get it. But I searched Josh Imatorbhebhe and found nothing but a post from 2017. Now, I don't always scroll every post so I don't always see everything, but there's a problem w/ the board function if I get bad search results. I despise self-appointed cops. I really do, almost more than anything. But I do understand that people wanna keep the board clean and up-to-date. So, is there a better option, because I do not think that this board functions as well as it should on a tech level. If our goal is to make the forum the best it can be, then we should find the best functioning forum we can. I don't think this is it. That said, my only real objection to the content here is ****. I love the fact that we can talk about food, baseball, the smells we love, and so on. So...if we truly want to make this forum better, then let's find one that functions properly.

Comments

  • levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    If you would like to donate the funding to Cox, I imagine you should be able to talk them into it.

    All you’ll probably have to pay is employee’s salaries for performing the search since they already have all the hardware, etc..

  • kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @levander said:
    If you would like to donate the funding to Cox, I imagine you should be able to talk them into it.

    All you’ll probably have to pay is employee’s salaries for performing the search since they already have all the hardware, etc..

    lol - Cox can kiss my ass. It's already highway robbery.

  • levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @kelly_b said:

    @levander said:
    If you would like to donate the funding to Cox, I imagine you should be able to talk them into it.

    All you’ll probably have to pay is employee’s salaries for performing the search since they already have all the hardware, etc..

    lol - Cox can kiss my ass. It's already highway robbery.

    How is it highway robbery? The board and the main site are free. Just have to put up with some advertising.

  • kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 29

    Well, it's a good question, but the simple answer is that they overcharge for access and deliver an inferior product. Of course, I pay a fraction of the price that you pay in the States. My Internet, phone (international) and mobile cost me around 70 dollars a month total. That's with every cinema channel, international phone calls, and Krispy Kreme Donuts to boot.

  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Search function is completely worthless here.

    I’d like to see a feature added that displays in a user’s profile the total number of downvotes that person has given out during their tenure. :smirk:

  • kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 29

    @Teddy, I don't despise you at all. I'm sorry if you thought that. I didn't mean to imply that at all. I know I said that but it wasn't meant directly at you. Man, I apologize. I know you mean the best.

    @Bankwalker - I really do think the search function here could be better. I'll take responsibility for not scrolling and seeing that the topic had already been raised, but it happens.

  • RoyGaffRoyGaff Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

    What does any of this have to do with the price of local beer?

    Which is outrageous.

  • kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @RoyGaff said:
    What does any of this have to do with the price of local beer?

    Which is outrageous.

    You live in a cabin in Montana. You should brew yr' own.

  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    We should all have cabins in Montana.

    Cabins in Montana should be free.

  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    This place operates as well as any other forum I have been part of.

  • FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Bankwalker said:
    Search function is completely worthless here.

    I’d like to see a feature added that displays in a user’s profile the total number of downvotes that person has given out during their tenure. :smirk:

    It is better to give than to receive. 😇😇😇

  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @FirePlugDawg said:

    @Bankwalker said:
    Search function is completely worthless here.

    I’d like to see a feature added that displays in a user’s profile the total number of downvotes that person has given out during their tenure. :smirk:

    It is better to give than to receive. 😇😇😇

    That’s what she said

  • FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    The Member Orientation OP should have a section on searching. Also on how if you make a redundant post, it isn't the end of the world and you should not allow your self-esteem to be damaged. And if someone points out the specific posts that you failed to find, it is not an attack on you, but is a means to have a tidy board. And if someone writes these up in a suggestion for the Member Orientation OP, then he may be a tool, or he may be trying to be humorous and/or lessen the butthurt, as appicable.

  • Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    This forum definitely needs a better search function but that's about it.
    Even though I never use emojis on my mobile, I think it would be pretty cool to have our very own emoji function thingie on here like some of our rival's boards.
    My favorite thing about this forum is the black back screen. It's way better on my eyes.

  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 3,260 mod
    edited January 29

    @Bulldawg1982 said:
    This forum definitely needs a better search function but that's about it.
    Even though I never use emojis on my mobile, I think it would be pretty cool to have our very own emoji function thingie on here like some of our rival's boards.
    My favorite thing about this forum is the black back screen. It's way better on my eyes.

    We have some emojis. >:) Black backgrounds also save power, so it's like we're saving the earth all at the same time. Have you ever seen Google's black search engine? http://blackle.com

  • JayDogJayDog Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @kelly_b said:
    Well, it's a good question, but the simple answer is that they overcharge for access and deliver an inferior product. Of course, I pay a fraction of the price that you pay in the States. My Internet, phone (international) and mobile cost me around 70 dollars a month total. That's with every cinema channel, international phone calls, and Krispy Kreme Donuts to boot.

    I don't know how you make it in that strange country without college football nearby.

  • JayDogJayDog Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Bankwalker said:
    We should all have cabins in Montana.

    Cabins in Montana should be free.

    Are you willing to put up with advertising covering all the windows and plastered on your forehead? Maybe those cabins can be free.

  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 2,614 mod

    Well, if we give a Mod one power to do something, I would choose the power of merging threads.....

  • MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I stopped [email protected] Gaff but your user name is HILARIOUS!!!!!😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

  • JayDogJayDog Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    While I sometimes get tired of repeated threads, I find it difficult to judge each one by the title alone. Read the OP and you might find the point of discussion is different from others. Most duplicated threads will die of neglect eventually as people settle in on one. When we try to self police we end up contributing to the frustration of scrolling past another post that is not relevant to everyone. It is a noble attempt to clean things up, but it actually makes them more cluttered.

    The answer to the problem is a good moderator who can simply combine or delete duplicates. There have been really good threads but often they are buried by junk that a moderator would clean up. My policy now is to just ignore duplicate threads and click on more promising ones.

  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Who cares if we have two threads on the same topic? When did this become about efficiency?

  • rocco4UGArocco4UGA Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @ghostofuga1 said:
    Well, if we give a Mod one power to do something, I would choose the power of merging threads.....

    What ever happened to @SavageDawg17 ? I believe he was the Mod that used to merge/delete duplicate threads.

  • DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @kelly_b Yeah, I started a post asking if anyone knew anything about Sevaughn Clark. I only got one response that was there was multiple posts about that already. I had also searched for posts about him and couldn't find any. When I asked to be shown where they were I was given a link to a post that had over 104 pages! I read the page I was linked to, but nothing there about Clark. He did tell me he was a POV which is the only thing other than he is a Running Back that I know about him. I too wish there was a way to search accurately for these posts. Typing his name in the search bar brought nothing.

  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 29

    @ghostofuga1 said:
    Well, if we give a Mod one power to do something, I would choose the power of merging threads.....

    I am all for that ghost bro

  • FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 29

    @Dawgsauce said:
    @kelly_b Yeah, I started a post asking if anyone knew anything about Sevaughn Clark. I only got one response that was there was multiple posts about that already. I had also searched for posts about him and couldn't find any. When I asked to be shown where they were I was given a link to a post that had over 104 pages! I read the page I was linked to, but nothing there about Clark. He did tell me he was a POV which is the only thing other than he is a Running Back that I know about him. I too wish there was a way to search accurately for these posts. Typing his name in the search bar brought nothing.

    I gave you the link. It leads to page 104 (when I do it - link says "latest" which should be the last page - page 104 now). On page 104 is a comment I made that has these links.

    PWO:

    https://247sports.com/Player/Sevaughn-Clark-46049687/

    https://twitter.com/vnc3k

    If you ask for help, you need to take initiative to use the help given. If you don't understand, then ask for more help.

    As to the search function, it could be much better. But the best bet for general info on a recruit is to use a web browser like Google. Searching within the board as you note, may not yield anything, and certainly misses much - from experience.

  • DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    If you ask for help, you need to take initiative to use the help given. If you don't understand, then ask for more help.

    As to the search function, it could be much better. But the best bet for general info on a recruit is to use a web browser like Google. Searching within the board as you note, may not yield anything, and certainly misses much - from experience.

    Appreciate the help. I had actually searched Google before I created the Clark post and came up with same links you posted but I had missed in the other thread. I should have provided those links and then asked if anyone had any additional info on him. On this thread, I posted to back up what Kelly was saying that it is difficult to know if there are duplicate posts on a subject or not. In my case there was, but I wasn't going to look through every post to see if there was. That would take a very long time. Then you posted the link. I missed it. Thank you for providing the direct links.

Sign In or Register to comment.