Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National The Day The Music Died Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited February 2019 in General

Many of our younger members may not find meaning in this but it's a song by Don McLean (who also wrote and sang "Vincent") commemorating among other things the loss of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and JP Richardson (the Big Bopper) in a plane crash just outside of Clear Lake, Iowa. It also commemorates a loss of innocence in that particular era. I've always loved Buddy Holly's music and have been ever grateful that Waylon Jennings and his bass didn't make that trip -he gave up his seat because either the Big Bopper or Richie Valens had a cold. How country music might have been different had Waylon not survived.

On a slightly lesser note, it's also National Carrot Cake Day and National Women's Physician Day.

Comments

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't care for the song, but the artists were good to great. Valens is one of several Mexican-American artists that died early and had he (they) not died early, he (they) would have influenced his community positively and the rest of the population's perceptions of the Mex-Am community/culture. Sam Cooke could have done the same with the African-Am community and the rest of the population. IOW, the 1960s wouldn't have had so much turmoil.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mentioned it in the Halftime Show thread, but the day that the music dies happens every year: Super Bowl Sunday.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    I've always loved Buddy Holly's music and have been ever grateful that Waylon Jennings and his bass didn't make that trip -he gave up his seat because either the Big Bopper or Richie Valens had a cold. How country music might have been different had Waylon not survived.

Buddy Holly lost the coin toss to Richie Valens, and Holly made a joke to Jennings and told him, 'I hope your bus freezes up.' Jennings responded, 'I hope your old plane crashes.' Of course, the remark haunted Jennings for the rest of his life and probably helped contribute to the various drug and alcohol issues he had.

• CharlestowneDawgCharlestowneDawg Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Totally thought this was going to be a reference to the halftime show.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@UnderDog68 said:

@donm said:
    I've always loved Buddy Holly's music and have been ever grateful that Waylon Jennings and his bass didn't make that trip -he gave up his seat because either the Big Bopper or Richie Valens had a cold. How country music might have been different had Waylon not survived.

Buddy Holly lost the coin toss to Richie Valens, and Holly made a joke to Jennings and told him, 'I hope your bus freezes up.' Jennings responded, 'I hope your old plane crashes.' Of course, the remark haunted Jennings for the rest of his life and probably helped contribute to the various drug and alcohol issues he had.

That's not the story. Tommy Allsup lost the coin toss to Ritchie Valens. I won't look up the whole story, but here is a link to the coin toss. Doesn't make any sense at the 1st reading: Holly was on the plane that went down!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Allsup

Yea, I effed it up.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like Waylon but I only liked maybe one of two Buddy Holly songs. I was big on grunge music in my pre-teen and teenage years so music died for me on April 8th 1994 when Cobain blew his head off. Well, not really. I liked Alice in Chains better.

Don't get me wrong, I love all kinds of music. From Hank to Skynyrd to Tool to Korn. Even some bluegrass. Not big on rap though. Maybe a little 2Pac buts that's about it.

I graduated high school 2001 and I don't think a song has come out since then that I like.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@donm said:

That's not the story. Tommy Allsup lost the coin toss to Ritchie Valens. I won't look up the whole story, but here is a link to the coin toss. Doesn't make any sense at the 1st reading: Holly was on the plane that went down!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Allsup

thanks for the historical references.

@Bulldawg1982 said:
    I like Waylon but I only liked maybe one of two Buddy Holly songs. I was big on grunge music in my pre-teen and teenage years so music died for me on April 8th 1994 when Cobain blew his head off. Well, not really. I liked Alice in Chains better.

Don't get me wrong, I love all kinds of music. From Hank to Skynyrd to Tool to Korn. Even some bluegrass. Not big on rap though. Maybe a little 2Pac buts that's about it.

I graduated high school 2001 and I don't think a song has come out since then that I like.

I am a child of the 80s, but I always liked grunge because it was the music that was popular during the best time of my life, which was the early 90s....I was in my early 20s, single, just out on my own, good job, and not many responsibilities.

Since my parents were children of the 50s and 60s, I grew up with a very diverse musical education....Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Beatles, Motown Sounds, classic C&W music, and the music of the hippie generation. Then, of course, there was Queen, Prince, and the hair bands as I became a teenager.

Great times, and great music.