Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National Girls and Women in Sports Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me, it's been very interesting, and frankly, amazing, to watch the growth in women's sports since the inception of Title IX. Led me to wonder who might be the best female athletes ever. Some names came to mind:

1. Babe Didrickson Zaharias
  2. Billy Jean King
  3. Martina Navritilova
  4. Julie Lieberman
  5. Whoever the current world record holder in the heptathlon is
  6. Maya Moore
  7. Katie Ledecki
  8. Olga Korbut
  9. Nadia Comenici
  10. can you think of others.
  11. It's interesting to me that no decathlon guys were mentioned in the lists of world's greatest male athletes. Names like Raefer Johnson and later world record holding decathletes seem deserving of at least a mention - they are, with good cause, often referred to as the world's greatest athlete.

It's also National Frozen Yogurt Day. Enjoy.

Comments

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Zaharias was definitely the Jim Thorpe of her day, or maybe Thorpe was the Zaharias of his day

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How about Georgia's own Teresa Edwards, 2-time All-American and 4-time Olympian?

Also, since some folks included coaches on the GOAT thread, I'll give the late Pat Summit a nod here.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg said:
    How about Georgia's own Teresa Edwards, 2-time All-American and 4-time Olympian?

Also, since some folks included coaches on the GOAT thread, I'll give the late Pat Summit a nod here.

Was going to say the same thing about pat