Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

anyone here like bourbon?

Comments

• Options
    CLT_DawgCLT_Dawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

Honestly, the difference between the 12 and the 15 yr old probably doesn’t justify the cost. Like you would expect-smoother version of the 12. Same complexity-vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup, fruity.

• Options
    RedFiveRedFive Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sipped on it for a little bit last night. Good flavor and very smooth

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For anyone in or near Smyrna

• Options

Your Costco is way better than mine lol. I've never seen any of those three there

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Might be a Texas thing, but the Costco liquor store here is privately owned and not "officially" part of Costco.

They don't carry any Kirkland liquor, but have good prices on a limited inventory of mainstream liquors, and have a decent high end selection.

• Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
  • Options
    DawgByteDawgByte Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'd have to say Weller 12 Yr. Old is my all time favorite. I've seen online prices as high as $745.00 for a bottle. It's super hard to find at a decent price.

• Options

I just won a raffle for another bottle of Blantons for $69.99...

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It must be the magic of Christmas, because I just hit the local liquor store near my house, looking for something nice to add to the collection. I was about to get a Knob Creek - 12 yr, and went up to the counter, and the lady said "We have a Blanton's back here behind the counter for $72. Merry Christmas to me!

• Options

This afternoon I opened up a new bottle of 16 yr. old Lagavulin single malt Scotch. OMG is that good!

• Options
    dshaffers46dshaffers46 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

Has anyone tried Garrison Brothers Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey? I received a bottle last Christmas and liked it very much. I then learned it was rated very highly in my go-to guide (other than this tread) the Whiskey Bible--96 out of 100. I am interested in anyone else's take on this product.

• Options

Here's a tip... if you like Bourbon then you probably enjoy a Manhattan. The best Manhattan I've ever had was at Babbo's restaurant in NYC. It was so good I asked the waiter what bourbon they used. He said they serve Breuckelen 77 and instead of using Maraschino's they marinate Black Cherries in Brandy.

• Options

Guys, something crazy is going on in the world of Bourbon.

Yesterday I went to a liquor store to pick-up a unique Bourbon that was showing in-stock via their web site. By the time I got there they were out. Their "Bourbon Guy" said, "If you like such & such you'll like this, we're having it made especially for us." He said, once we sellout we're going to up the price by $20/bottle. After that we'll raise it again by another $20. I'm thinking to myself, "What's going on, this is a racket!"

In 2012 I bought Weller Reserve for $8.99 bottle. It held at that price for about 18 months, then went to $9.99 a bottle. A year later it was $11.99. Now if you can find it, that same bottle will cost you $69.99. Weller 12 Yr. - I've seen prices in excess of $700/bottle. Blanton's use to be everywhere, now not so much.

I'm having a hard time believing Bourbon has gotten this popular that established brands like Weller, Blanton's etc. are now this scarce. Something fishy is going on and distributors and retailers are cashing in big time.

• Options

I've never tried but I've seen it. I'm wary of trying new stuff just because so much is from the same distillery and just repackaged. But if this is an independent spot and it's that good I'll absolutely pick up a bottle

• Options

Not bourbon but I picked this up yesterday. $54 at Costco

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They absolutely are making out. Bourbon found itself behind Scotch some years back, I believe. Scotch had the "scarcity" tag for special single malts and such, and started charging a premium. Then, they started the unique things like aging in port barrels, etc.

Personally, I believe the Bourbon industry saw an opportunity and has now become almost like "craft brew" became for beer. As such, prices started going up. Now... you also have scarcity on some brands. The ones you mention (Weller's, Blanton's) are all from Buffalo Trace distillery. They converted their bottling department over to hand sanitizer in March to support COVID efforts. Although that wouldn't impact barrels that were aging, it may have impacted their bottling processes and made an already somewhat hard to find bottle into an almost impossibly hard to find bottle this year. The question is will this have a "blip" in production down the line if they stopped distilling as well for a period of time. Supply and demand will drive the pricing.

Hand sanitizer bottling at Buffalo Trace Distillery | Lexington Herald Leader (kentucky.com)

• Options

This is a multifaceted issue

first there is msrp vs secondary pricing. Stores should be msrp, and many are, but some are charging as much as they can bc if not someone will buy and resale for a huge profit. It’s a messed up situation

but bourbon sales are through the roof. 2010 was a massive year in bourbon sales and in the USA it was $1.9 billion. In 2019 it was $29 billion. The demand is way larger than the supply. And it has been for years

the hidden values in bourbon are no longer hidden. Some were greatly undervalued to begin with. It takes years to make bourbon so they can’t just immediately meet the demand. Years to age, building capacity, etc. these distilleries want to make more, they’re losing out when they retail a bottle for $60 and some guy resales on FB for $500. And it is a vicious cycle. The more people hear about X brand the more they want the harder it becomes to find. Take Henry McKenna. Was $35 a couple years ago. Great value. On every shelf. The it won of the year award. Now it goes for $55-$60, when you can find it. And some guy with money and no patience might be willing to pay $120. But the distillery isn’t making that An unscrupulous store might, though I boycott any I see selling bottles at black market prices but many don’t.

the demand is just so far outside the supply, it just takes so much time and resources to catch up, and the every day drinkers are feeling the brunt. It’s why see more and more without an age statement. Why BiB is having a resurgence. Why barrel finishing is becoming so popular.

all of the major distilleries have major expansion going on. But a 12 year bottle still takes 12 years. Will see a combination of growing supply in the next decade and, hopefully, the trendy drinkers moving on to something else to ease demand

• Options

van Winkle is an example. Their prices at msrp are pretty reasonable and haven’t changed much. The distillery isn’t making a huge difference in profit of that. But the stores and secondary market are