Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

anyone here like bourbon?

Comments

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember buying Weller for $8.99 a bottle not that long ago. I would line up 5 or 6 Bourbons in a blind taste test and nobody could believe Weller was that inexpensive. I said, "Well it won't be that cheap for long!"

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

give me a price range and I will give you a few suggestions. I am sure others would be happy to do the same

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't bought it for that low, but I used to pay around $30 for a 1.75 liter; it's up to $37 now. Still a good deal in my book!

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't drink very often so I'll spend $100 on a bottle because it'll last.

I usually spent 75 - 125 on a single Malt scotch.

But have nothing against drinking something much less expensive if it's good.

Cheap and good is a great combo.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,041 mod

Apparently not a lot of bourbon drinking in January.....😉 Hope ya'll are still taking a nip now and then.

On a side note, is anyone familiar with bas-armagnac? I guess it's suppose to be similar to a cognac. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried any....

• Options
    QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think they're both brandies just from a different region. However, I'm by no means an expert on it.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just picked up a bottle of Weller 12 year old. Good luck finding that one.

• Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Finally got around to opening a bottle of Blantons last night, really smooth.

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Nice! "Next we go to Chip..."

Also like Maker's or Knob as a day-to-day...Woodford's is still my fave

• Options
    Dawg53Dawg53 Posts: 232 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Been a while since this post but...A) drink it however you want. B) adding ice used to be a faux pas due to believing it watered down good bourbon. However, in the past few years science and common belief is that a small amount of water(like from melting ice) actually releases the flavor of the bourbon and can enhance it. The new trend is 1 large ice cube.

• Options
    DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right now I'm doing a lot of Lagavulin. I got a bottle of the 12 year 2018 Anniversary collection for Xmas. Also been enjoying Michter's 10 and Old Grand Dad, which is only about $25, even in Manhattan, and undeniably a great pour.

• Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I paid $89.99 for mine... but I found it in North Ga. Can't find it in West Ga. anywhere...

• Options

Picked this up today

• Options

tell the old man he is always welcome here and if he is ever in Cola, SC I will offer him a dram or two in exchange for stories and life advice

• Options

sorry, I started a response to this and never finished

almost always the question people ask revolves around best value aka spending less money. your real issue with a budget of up to $100 is going to be scarcity (and not overpaying for what used to be good values. looking at you Henry McKenna BiB and others)

I know you mentioned spending less so what I recommend, and I hope others chime in, is upping your budget a bit and then buying several bottles. Then you can taste a range and whatever you don't like can be offered to guests

Very Old Barton is often mentioned as the best value in brown juice. $25 for 1.75L is common pricing. It is, imo, the best for those of us who drink multiple drinks a day. But if it costs twice as much then it would still be a good pickup

If you can grab an Eagle Rare, a Buffalo Trace, or a Weller Special Reserve (I might be in the minority in that I like SR over the more expensive Antique 107) that would be a great mid-range bourbon to add.

A Stagg Jr or Elijah Craig single barrel would be a good one in the $50-$65 range. Both are high proof, though the Elijah Craig is easier to come by for me (and the one I like more and at true MSRP about $10 more)

Then to finish your fancy foursome one nice bottle. The real challenge starts here and it is multifaceted. Some are hard to find, some are season releases, some are finished in different ways (say finished in a Port barrel like High West A Midwinter's Night Dram) and due to the price you want to pick something you hopefully like. One I have not tried personally but it gets good reviews, and might be a perfect finish to the four categories, is Jefferson's Aged at Sea

Four bottles should set you back around $200 or less. You will have four distinct ranges and styles to try. And you'll know if bourbon is for you.

Other cheap options that are great: Wild Turkey 101, Larceny, Old Granddad (don't tell people about this one. It truly should be twice as much)

Other mid tier options that are great: Hudson Baby, Angel's Envy, any of the Col. E. H. Taylor, Old Forester

And honestly could probably add a dozen more. There are a lot of good, drinkable bourbons. They might not all stand out but that is not a bad thing