Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Cheddar Day/National Tortellini Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Today is, among other things, Nacional Cheddar Day. Cheddar dates back to the 1400's and the town of (gasp) Cheddar. It accounts for 1/3 of all cheese sales in the US and over 1/2 of all cheese sales in jolly old England. It is the most popular cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches in the US, although I prefer swiss or monterrey jack in mine.

National Tortellini Day

Being half Italian, I grew up in my grandmom's house and had just about my choice, most ever day, of the things I wanted to eat. Tortellini was among them. Tortellini is a signature dish from the Italian region of Bologna, where they claim to have created this stuffed pasta packed with flavor. Ravioli, tortellini, and tortellacci are all part of the same family of stuffed pasta. The most common fillings for tortellini are ham, white meat, and Parmesan cheese. Do any of you have a favorite Italian dish or restaurant? In Ocala, FL we love to go to Chefs of Napoli. If you are EVER around Micanopy, FL (the one mentioned in John Anderson's "Seminole Wind", you must go to Antonio's. Closest I've ever come to finding my grandmom's cooking.

If you've never tried them, get you some!!

In case you aren't hungry for either of the above choices, it's also National Break Up With Your Carrier Day. The perfect day to arrange a new carrier for your internet pleasures.

Comments

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fav. Italian Dish: Had a lasagna at a restaurant in Bowie MD when I was in the service. Thick, big meat and veg layer, creamy (bechamel?) sauce/topping, nice "noodles". I Googled a few months a go and there is no trace of it. Was named Tag's, I believe (for Tagliatelli, or some variation). They also had a Tagliatelli's (sp?) restaurant on a state? highway in the area, but Tag's was downtown. It may be a pizza place now. Of course, I didn't appreciate it, and never had it again there. Other lasagnas have been a disappointment. If there is some trick to getting a great local made lasagna at a restaurant, would appreciate the key.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm Try giving cheddar another chance on the grilled cheese. Only let it be half of the cheese you use and the other half being a softer cheese such as Swiss or brie.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's a fantastic Italian place near me just up the road. The unlimited breadsticks are a major draw.

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

Fazoli's has the best breadsticks BY FAR. I assume that's where you're talking about.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like to cook and one of my favorite dishes to make is cheese tortellini with chicken, mushrooms, and broccoli. It's really fast, easy, and tends to be a crowd pleaser. Six simple steps:

1. Cut up chicken breasts into small pieces and sauté them in a skillet with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and an Italian spice blend (e.g., basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage).
    2. Before the chicken is fully cooked add baby bella mushroom pieces into the same skillet and stir all together.
    3. Once the chicken and mushrooms are cooked, cover with Alfredo sauce and reduce heat to low.
    4. Cook tortellini in a large pot. I use three-cheese multi-colored tortellini, but I suppose you could use what ever you like.
    5. Add fresh cut broccoli florets to the pot while the pasta still needs another 2 minutes of cooking. Return to boil and let pasta and broccoli cook together for one full minute.
    6. Strain the pasta and broccoli in a colander then return them to the (now empty) pot. Pour the skillet's contents on top. Stir together well, serve, and enjoy!

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Make sure to let us know when it's National Moose Knuckle Day. Now that's something I could get excited about.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

I put it in my notification calendar so I could let know..........