Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Dogs/family member

NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m just looking for advice and prayers. My dog Bogey who’s a king cavalier Charles tri color had to go in for emergency surgery last night. He’s three years old and the had to take a 1 ft section of his intestine out to remove a pair of under garments that he ate. He’s recovering right now. And they say the next three to five days will determine wether he will make it.

I was was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No experience with that particular procedure, but I've loved and lost a half dozen dogs in my life. Even had to put one down myself. It can be pretty rough. Hopefully Bogey's a fighter. Hang in there bro.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My last dog...a dachshund who cost way too much from a breeder that was supposed to be reputable...had to have open heart surgery at like 6 months old. Took her in to have her spayed and in the prep they discovered a heart mumur. Was pretty expensive and at the time I almost balked but had it done and she ended up living almost 18 years so no regrets. Hope it goes well and the pup has a long and happy life!

The one sucky part I remember is the recovery. Dogs don’t know what’s going on and will cry and even bite when in pain. Heidi tried to bite the hell out of me when I had to remove pain patches/change dressing at first.

• volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beautiful boy. Hope he pulls through. He looks like a DGD!! Never had to go through something like that. Sorry can't offer any advice.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry to hear that, NOVA. Hoping he pulls through. He’s a beautiful dog. My wife and I have a dog who ate a bag of Dum Dum lollipops while we were out one night. He unwrapped them and bit the sticks off. When we came home the wrappers and sticks were all over the floor, but the dog was nowhere to be found. He came walking out of the bedroom, slowly, with a look of regret on his face. He was ultimately fine, but not before spending a good portion of the night (literally) shouting rainbows and a trip to the vet (who found it rather funny).

We’re pulling for you, Bogey. Get well soon.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maizy tore off an approximately 2 ft x 2 ft section of plastic (?) backing to a polyester blanket. She tore it into ~ 4" x 8 " pieces and ate each one. Over the next few days, they reappeared in her p-oop. All was well, with no repercussions. I didn't think to save them and reassemble them to make sure that they equaled the missing section.

I'll spare you my paean to the amazing Maizy, an A++ dog.

• ColumboColumbo Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Get Well Soon Bogey!

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My heart goes out to you man. Hang in there.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Likewise have loved and lost a few and had a couple make amazing recoveries. Praying for y'all, keep us updated.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Get well Bogey. They definitely become part of the family for sure, with their on personalities. Folks that dont have dogs dont understand. My wife and stepson got a Yorkie right after we were married. Cassie became my biggest buddy. Seemed as though her only reason for being on earth was to follow me around the house and sit in recliner with me. RIP Cassie