Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National Random Acts of Kindness Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Going along nicely with yesterday's Do A Grouch A Favor Day, today's episode is National Random Acts of Kindness Day. No limits on what types of kind acts we can do. I think they might be almost endless and, likely, best when they involve someone we don't know. Not sure if "little old ladies" cross streets any more, but we can try being boy scouts, albeit older ones now.

It's also National Cabbage Day. Love cabbage soup as well as stuffed cabbage rolls. Any good recipes you can share?

Comments

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

National Cabbage Day: One can sweat down some cabbage in a covered fry pan on the stove-top with a little water and some oil (oil on the cabbage) along with mild or hot Italian sausage (thick slices or hunks) and sliced or cut (chunks) garlic; and have a nice meal or two. Sprinkle some Italian herbs on the mess while cooking and there is plenty of flavor. Can add lemon juice or vinegar/hot sauce and salt and pepper at the table as desired. Also can have some potatoes (choice - nuked? - pierce, slather in sesame oil and nuke on potato setting) on the side. Other than cutting up the cabbage, it is a pretty quick meal.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,038 mod

A picture says a thousand words;

And with St Patty's Day around the corner, we probably need to hit the Chef's Zone for some Corned Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls recipes....

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I'll take the bait Don.

I helped a blind man find his way to the grocery store last Sunday. He was a tall, thin, black fellow, dressed in a brown suit and a matching trilby hat, using his walking stick in the parking lot. I had to work up the courage to approach him, since I didn't know how he would respond. The main reason I did was because he was in the middle of the entrance to the lot, and still a good 100 yards from the store.

When I got to within 5 feet of him I called out and asked if I could help and he said, "Yes! Thank you." I asked him if I could put my hand on his shoulder, and he said yes. I guided him off to the right, out of traffic. It was a long slow walk and he wasn't interested in conversing. (He had hearing aids in so I think he was borderline deaf in addition to blind. What a difficult life it must be.)

Anyway, once we finally made it inside of the door I asked if he knew his way around, and he said, "Lead me to the customer service desk, and they will take care of me."

In the back of my mind were the sheep and the goats in Matthew 25. I have plenty of shortcomings, as others on this board frequently remind me. But that was a good moment, and a good day.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Picture's worth 1000 words @ghostofuga1! I must have been busy typing my "short story" when you made your post, which is a better one. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: dang, @FirePlugDawg squeezed one in there as well. If I had known the thread was going to gain traction on its own I would have stayed on the sidelines. Oh well.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Had some fire wood in the back of my truck when I traveled into Nashville today. Nashville has this thing where they let homeless people sell a paper to make money. See the same bro off the exit I get off at each time and we always talk at the red light because he knows my lifted jade green 78 ford truck.

Told the bro he could have as much wood as he could handle. Ended up just being four pieces of oak. Not bragging and was just the right thing to do.

All about helping others fortunate or unfortunate. Makes life go better

• Options

@AnotherDawg Bro, Mine was only a picture showing an act of kindness. Yours was a story of kindness. Much better and thanks for posting it.....

• Options
    edited February 2019
  • Options

Quaint smaller town in South Ga. I've only been through there a time or two...

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Ha. Learnt me something new today. Thanks for the info ghost bro

• Options

Yep! The first I heard of Nashville GA was from a fraternity brother who was from there. Every time someone would ask him where he was from, of course he would reply Nashville. And then the infamous question " Why did you come to UGA instead of UT??"

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Had a job a few years back that allowed me to be in Nashville a few times a month. Was there at lunch one day and heard a horn/ siren over the city. Asked what it was. It was their tornado warning. They sounded it at 12 noon every day. I asked the guys I was there to see,what if there's really a tornado coming at noon?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

AnotherDawg.

Good on you, man. Very nice. Very.