Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

spaghettiapalazzo/decorating

JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited February 2019 in DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone

Whoohoo bros & broettes. Rainy day today so me and my broette/wife went after decorating my sons room. Most of the pictures are from things from my room as a child.

Because of time we decided on doing something simple. Cracked open the ole family cookbook and did some spaghetti making. Can’t wait to try it.

Wasnt sure where to post this so just went with the chef zone.

Comments

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spaghetti is one of my favorite meals jrt. Nice room for the little dawg. Wife makes a really good spaghetti but doesnt let me display too much GA stuff on the walls though. Just a few nic nacs scattered about

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hear ya rpm bro. I wanted to put up a picture of Uga and Ricky Carmichael on our wall of family pictures in the living room, but she quickly said no

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spaghetts: I never understood why someone would put grated cheese on top of the sauce, when one could put the cheese in the sauce (as many of the prepared sauces have), OR, put the cheese on the pasta, THEN sauce it. The latter is what I do. I checked with an Italian woman (old country) who said that cheesing the pasta (my term) is done by some in Italy. I also cook the meat separately and add it to the cheesed pasta (also my term), and then saucing the kit and kaboodal. Here goes (in "brief"). Try it first before you do it for company.

Prepare and cook pasta, normally. (There is at least one brand of Gluten free pasta that is okay)

In the meantime, in a large bowl place olive oil, grated cheese of choice, parsley for color, and chopped garlic (optional). Mix well. Quantity is a judgment call - not too much, but enough to coat.

Also, cook the meat in a separate frying pan, while warming the prepared sauce of choice (unless you really want to make your own - good for you.) We put Italian herbs in the meat (ground beef or Italian sausage), usually with some garlic (ground beef). As to the prepared sauce, select one that is either "plain" or has interesting veggies. IOW, no cheeses nor meat - what's the point?

Drain the pasta (not fanatical), then dump it in the large bowl and mix, coating the pasta, adding extra oil and cheese as needed. Plate the pasta. Add meat, and then add sauce. Garlic bread is supremo delicioso. Buon appetito!

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice pics of the kid’s room, but I’m a bit embarrassed by the spaghetti. Here’s how you do it:

Dice onions, peppers, and mushrooms.

Saute onions and peppers, adding mushrooms after 5 minutes. Brown the meat On TOP of the onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Add seasonings. Add diced tomatoes. Add tomato sauce. Simmer. Add seasoning as needed. Allow to simmer for a couple of hours. (Simplified)

Boil water with a teaspoon of olive oil and a dash of salt. Add spaghetti noodles to boiling water. Strain when done.

That pan of browned meat seperatw from the tomato sauce is neophyte level cooking.

edited February 2019

Wife does add the meat to sauce and simmers awhile. Also adds cream of mushroom soup. Tones down the tomato sauce a bit. Do not like bell peppers in spaghetti

Like where your head is at

edited February 2019

You people have been raised improperly. BROWN THE MEAT ON TOP OF THE ONIONS amd other additives. Then build your sauce in layers from there. You cannot add it to the sauce and get full flavor. This is not up for debate. YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! PERIOD!

Easy Bankwalker bro. Don’t be embarrassed. We followed pretty much the same style as yours minus the peppers and mushrooms. I love peppers, but don’t want them in my spaghetti and can’t stand mushrooms on anything.

Agree with your thinking just not all the ingredients listed above.

Hear me again. This is serious business and a real problem. Saute veggies, brown meat on top of veggies, build sauce on top of meat and veggies. Cooking seperately is worse than being an Auburn fan.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Apparently, none of you have any balls.....

edited February 2019

Hahaha. Nothing wrong with a good meatball, but what do I know.... just love food

• loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

My “gravy” recipe came from polling every old Italian women I knew or met over a couple years and ask how they made spaghetti sauce. Many had a secret ingredient or two but they all pretty much made it the same way. The stacking method that @Bankwalker described is deriguer. Sauté onions and garlic (on top) in olive oil with any other chopped vegetable you want (carrots are very popular). Next add canned whole tomatoes (only canned) with chopped fresh basil. Cook 20 minutes or so and your done. For bolognese, stack meat in between veggies and tomatoes. Its genius is in its simplicity.

edited February 2019

As long as it's not worse than being a FL fan,but your getting close