Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What are Dawgnations stereotypes of Texas

Comments

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big hair and bigger steaks...

• Options
    ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Never been a fan of Texas. For one thing the cowboys, and as a niners fan I loathe them. I also met quite a few people from the state in my travels in the navy and other instances and not many of them improved my perception.

Love Texas roadhouse though, my favorite restaurant.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

El Paso is basically New Mexico. I've driven through it a couple of times and was glad I was just passing through.

I did enjoy my 2 years in El Paso. I do recall one afternoon, about 5 PM or so, I was going to the movies downtown to watch the Exorcist. I was standing on a corner waiting for the lights to change when I noticed there was not a single blonde headed person on any of the 4 street corners or anywhere else on the streets. I thought, wow. How about that.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I developed a "thing" for Hispanic girls during my two years in south Texas.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of my favorite songs!

My opinion of Texas is favorable but not well informed. My mom was born in El Paso and went to high school in Fort Worth, but was sent to Athens for college because her family's roots were very deep in Georgia. I heard lots of Texas, New Mexico, and old Mexico stories growing up.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My brother spent 3 yrs stationed in El Paso. He called it the azz hole of the south

• Options

I was struck by the Hispanic traditions in EL Paso. While seeing a young Hispanic woman, we actually had her aunt and other relatives walk behind us while strolled after church. Also, young folks would ask permission to pass their slower walking elders on the sidewalks, “ con permiso.” I liked that and have remembered it to this day. For me El Paso was more than ok.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stationed at Fort Bliss (ha! - what a tease) - El Paso. No strong impressions except that the winter sunrises could be spectacular (the running scene in Gump underplays it), the desert can be beautiful (mostly daytrips from EP into NM and AZ). The town was safe in the 1970s, and Juarez was friendly to 'mericans.

San Antonio is Tex-Mex central but if you want the cowboy, can have that pretty exclusively. April is hot (not warm), October ends in cold, December is cold, wet and snowy. Extrapolate from those points. Skirt steak marinaded in lime juice, jalapenos, and cilantro, then grilled with onions and jalapenos = fajitas. Homes are on postage size lots. I like that local roads parallel the Interstate.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I nowadays live in San Diego. My “Texas” impressions are from the Texans that I met while serving in the military. The state is beautiful with a lot of different sights, and sounds from El Paso, to Texarkana. Most of the people I’ve met from Texas are very nice, just like most Georgians too. There are exceptions in both cases, but usually there are more similarities than differences.

• Options
    brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cowboys butts drive them nuts ? Lol

• Options
    edited February 2019

Fire Plug Dawg -

Stationed at Fort Bliss (ha! - what a tease) - El Paso. No strong impressions except that the winter sunrises could be spectacular (the running scene in Gump underplays it), the desert can be beautiful (mostly daytrips from EP into NM and AZ). The town was safe in the 1970s, and Juarez was friendly to 'mericans.

San Antonio is Tex-Mex central but if you want the cowboy, can have that pretty exclusively. April is hot (not warm), October ends in cold, December is cold, wet and snowy. Extrapolate from those points. Skirt steak marinaded in lime juice, jalapenos, and cilantro, then grilled with onions and jalapenos = fajitas. Homes are on postage size lots. I like that local roads parallel the Interstate.

FPD,

I was stationed at William Beaumont Medical Center from 72-74. It was very interesting. I recall that there were German officers stationed at Ft. Bliss for missile training and they had wives who lounged around the pool a lot. Nice looking women, except for the first time I saw gals who had VERY long hair under their arms. An eye opener from this guy...my enduring memory from Ft. Bliss.

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Being a Texan, I can't give an outsiders view, but I sure do love it!

God Bless Texas!

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

Texan women have usually been some of my favorite over the years

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Almost 40 replies and not one Yeehaw. Impressive

• Options

One of my (and my kids) favorite episodes...although I'm a lot like Sandy; if someone is badmouthing Texas in my presence, they'll probably be taken as fightin' words!