Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves fired their pithing coach after having the 7th lowest ERA in MLB in 2018...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hernandez is 38 and our young staff was developing nicely under his tutelage.They replaced him with Kranitz who is 60 years old and coached The Phillies to the 18th best ERA in MLB. Krantiz had 1 season with exceptional results and a bunch more bad to average years.

I don't get it.

Comments

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some internal friction maybe?

• Options

PT, could be some personality issue, but you'd think professionals could put such things aside during working hours.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s probably making $100k less and with the organization is looking more and more like the Pirates. Aka they don’t care what the team’s record is, just want to make huge profits... I wish Blank could buy the Braves, and be our new Ted Turner. At least he’s shown he’ll spend money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/braves-think-fans-idiots-150337296.html

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol at the conspiracy theories in here. There's a very simple reason why, and it's because most of the staff had horrible command, and Hernandez has been more on the lines of lucky then actually good as a pitching coach, including the lines of the new front office being the guys to actually change Folty as a pitcher, and not him.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems weird, but I don't have a real problem with it...

yet.

• Options
    chattdawgchattdawg Posts: 386 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Legendary. Absolutely legendary. I was starting to think I was the only one who saw that.

• Options
    edited February 2019

GeorgiaGirl

Walks were up, but the staff had the lowest slugging percentage surrendered in the NL and gave up the 4th fewest runs in The NL.

It doesn't really matter how you get there, only the bottom line counts. Also young pitchers will give up walks, you live with it to allow them the freedom to work on pitches.

• Options

Sorry, but walks have been a significant problem with Hernandez and I firmly stand with he's been more lucky than good with pitching. He did not do jack **** to develop Folty, that was all the FO's tweaking.

• Options

Are you kidding ? Folty became an all star last season.

• Options

Folty

2017 - innings pitched 154, WHIP 1.48, WAR 1.3, ERA 4.79

2018 - innings pitched 183, WHIP 1.08, WAR 3.9, ERA 2.85

That is drastic improvement

• Options
    edited February 2019

Which is 100% because of the front office change and the more analytical front office adjusting how he pitches. Hernandez has jack diddly squat to do with his development and he should have never even been hired. He's a bad, very bad coach.

• Options

The team

2017 - 4.72 ERA, 12th in The NL

2018 - 3.75 ERA, 5th in The NL

Again, drastic improvement.

• Options

Also has a lot more to do with the front office becoming more analytical. Sorry, but you're not winning this argument. The front office became more analytical, tweaked how everyone pitched, and made better defensive shifts. Everything to do with them and ZERO to do with Hernandez.

Chuck Hernandez would be a COMPLETE NOBODY if it weren't for Justin Verlander and Jose Fernandez. He is extremely bad and he got fired for being extremely bad, not because of a conspiracy theory about the Braves being cheap. He needed to be fired, and he NEVER should have been hired.

• Options

I sighted facts, you're making assumptions.

We had very good results with Hernadez as pitching coach, that is fact and the bottom line in my view of things.

• Options
    edited February 2019

Sorry, but I'm telling the truth about all of that. There's plenty of chatter about how the defensive shifts were much better under the AA front office compared to Coppy and about how they made many tweaks to how the pitchers pitched, and you casuals don't see any of that. Chuck Hernandez is an absolutely te**ible pitching coach and if it weren't for the hand holding by the AA front office, they probably still put up the same ERA from 2017.

• Options

You're giving your opinion, that is not factual truth.

I'm reminded of those who insisted Mike Bobo was a bad OC even after we had 3 straight record setting offenses.

At some point you should give credit where it's due.

• Options
    edited February 2019

I may not feel like pulling it up right now, but it was stated FACT that the AA front office changed the defensive shifting SIGNIFICANTLY compared to the Coppolella front office and tweaked how just about everyone pitched.

Bobo was a good OC, I was never one that said he was bad. But I'm very firm in this stance. Chuck Hernandez was te**ible and was a big mistake as a hire.

In fact, if Chuck Hernandez, your golden boy was so good, then why did he not get scooped up immediately as a pitching coach? As nobody did. He's just a bullpen coach now.

• Options

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Okay, fine, I am going to pull one up:

It was not standard shifting at all. It was a VERY significant change from the way the Braves did it in the past. Significant enough to say that it likely impacted pitcher's ERAs because it turned Markakis from a poor defender into a good defender again.

Combine that with I've seen AA talk a LOT about how the analytics staff helps the pitchers fine tune to their strengths, and I'm extremely firmly entrenched in the analytics staff had much more to do with the Braves success than a te**ible pitching coach that should have never been hired and was not scooped up by anyone as a pitching coach.