Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Rabbit?

tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Comments

• Options

I used garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, coarse black pepper and fresh thyme. Sous vide at 140 for 3 hours. Then finished with a quick pan sear

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sous Vide is life changing

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wild or farmed?

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg Life changing, indeed! My wife's chef told her to get me one for my birthday last year. At first I was like, "Ok, cool. A Cooking utensil." (Side note: Why doesn't anyone suggest a new fly rod, or a case of the New Penny plastic paddle tail minnows. I use for specks and reds?) Now I am a sous vide maniac, and it would definitely be the way to go with wild rabbits. I usually soak rabbit in buttermilk overnight, which has a nice tenderizing effect.

I deboned some quail the other night and cooked the breasts and tiny tenderloins for 4 hours then seared. BEST quail I've ever had. Cooked two turkey tenderloins last week. Same results. The chicken breasts I've done were the juiciest ever. All of the above were cooked to 147 degrees for @ 3 hours.

One of my favorites was a cheap top eye round roast I did as an experiment. Cooked it for 30 hours and wish I had added more salt, because the salty fat flavoring was the only noticeable difference between that and Prime Rib. Cut it with a regular table knife.

You can blow your friends and family away on Prime Rib and whole beef tenderloin. The way a tenderloin narrows at the ends makes it impossible to cook to consistent temperature for the length of the meat, but with a sous vide it is done to perfection, tip to tip.

Perfectly poached eggs in 13 minutes that never break on you getting them out of the shell if you're just a little bit careful.

• Options

My sous vide setup when cooking for 2

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I use Anova as well. Steak is unbelievable with sous vide. Changed my life.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Aahhh, so this is what my wife was talking about when she said "you gotta get me a Sue Veed for my birthday!". I didn't know what a Sue Veed was. Lol.

Well it's her B-day next month so I know for sure what to get her now. Stores? Prices?

• Options
    benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its really simple tech so any model will get the job done but I bought a cheapo one from china and it broke pretty quick

• Options

hey @BrettGarr why is this off topic? It is about food and it is in the food sub-forum?

• Options

I agree with @benjaminwgregg about the anova. bluetooth or wifi, though I have the bluetooth

and they go on sale regularly. add in a food saver and you're good to go

• Options
    edited February 2019

I have two. The anova bluetooth is what my wife gave me. I added a second from Kroger. Chefman? Makes more noise and has an annoying timer you have to set. More importantly, it takes significantly more time to heat the water. I strongly suggest the Anova.

• Options
    ddsnyderugaddsnyderuga Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Junior

Duck in the Sous vide is a game changer. Duck confit is my wife’s favorite.

• Options

Ive also become a fan of the instapot pressure cooker. Ive long been a heavy user of a slow cooker but the pressure cooker lets me use more of the animals upon whom I prey. Most people throw away or grind the shanks but Ive now found them to be some of the best meat on a pig or deer. Wild turkey legs are another example of basically inedible meat you can convert to tender shredded roast under pressure. Hardly anyone keeps those but its a lot of meat that pairs well with a mushroom risotto.

• Options
    BrettGarrBrettGarr Posts: 152 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You can ask the meat manager at publix, they can have it for you in a few days.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What's your best method of minimizing the gamey taste? I can handle it but I can only get my wife and girls to eat deer meat. They refuse to try anymore wild game after trying some poorly cooked boar one time.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Proper care and cleaning. One hair from around the metatarsal gland can ruin alot of meat. Also proper aging in the refrigerator. I have an older one in the garage that I use just to age wild game.

• Options

A few things. The first and most important thing with a big wild boar is to try eating the pot after you cook it instead of the meat. Seriously, don't try to eat a large pig. Only reason to shoot them is for pest control purposes. They are just nasty, non-indigenous animals that only make more pigs and DESTROY the property. Gigantic rats, basically. Big wild boars taste like crapola.

As @Catfish says - Aging. might be the most important. I age my deer for about 10 days.

Brine the meat. Always. Especially darker meat, like turkey legs. I even brine the cubed steak I make from deer meat. It almost looks gray when I pull it out of the bloody water after a good brine of only about 10 minutes. Battered and fried, it tastes like beef cubed steak.

Cleaning and cooling the animal ASAP after the kill is really important. Also, there are glands in the animals that you need to know where they are located to cut them out or else they taint the meat with a serious gamey taste. For instance, on a deer hind quarter there are glands that are buried in the middle of a muscle mass. You have to dig down in there to find it. Deer fat is not good at all, so I take my time to trim ALL of it off and filet the silver sinew off as well. I don't remove the fat and sinew until after I've aged except for big chunks.

Don't overcook the meat. People tend to be scared of wild game meat so they overcook it compared to the steak they buy at the store. If you don't like pretty rare meat then you shouldn't even mess with ducks.

Some things are just not worth messing with, imo. A Canada Goose is nothing but a Sky Carp. Greasy, flying rat. I like to shoot doves, but if it weren't for bacon and cream cheese than I'm not sure I'd shoot them, either. You are only eating a woodcock because you killed them, but they are fun as heck to hunt and great local work for a Georgia hunting dog. Hard to find wild birds in Georgia thanks to loss of fence rows, longleaf pine, fire ants, armadillos, yotes, and the **** "spay, neuter, and release" crazy cat people who don't realize a house cat will kill a clutch of quail just for the thrill.

Brining wild rabbit in buttermilk overnight is key for me.