Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

So...censorship?

scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So I’ve been a bit out of the loop so my apologies if this has been succinctly covered elsewhere. I did scan the stickied threads but I didn’t see an outline of the new normal around here. I gather that we now will have a more moderated format and that seemingly arbitrarily people have been made mods. I honestly haven’t even looked to see who all are mods and am not complaining, just didn’t know it was being decided.

Anyway, I’m sure once we’ve all gotten used to it, it will be a positive, but unless there are some more specific guidelines to go along with the new moderation then I’m honestly not sure what is and is not now verboten. Obviously no politics is no politics but for instance after reading the story about the demonstrations at Tennessee and the ongoing kerfuffle there I wondered what Dawgnation might think about stuff going on at a rival. Not football related I guess but also a bit of a grey area.

So after searching to see if there was a thread on it, I wasn’t sure if it was now going to get deleted due to the “crackdown”. Like I said, not complaining, just unsure as to the new rules. Go Dawgs!

Comments

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Welcome back Scooter, (or @scooterdawg since no one knows if/when the notifications work any more.) Your OP is spot on. Maybe too apologetic, if anything.

I remain a big fan of Sentell and BA, and there is still a solid core of great DN forum members on here, but the recent changes (software "upgrades" and appointment of a random mod squad) have not been, in my humble opinion, a good thing.

$0.02.

Peace, out. Go Dawgs. Can't wait til the season starts.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

if you follow the rules pinned to the top of the home page, you should be fine

• Options

@dawgnms- I'm sure you'll do a good job. Please don't misread my post as criticism of any of the appointed mods. I'm talking about the bigger picture.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

None taken. Kind of glad @scooterdawg posted about this. I have been here since day one of this board and watched it grow.

Do not be afraid to post or start threads. We are here to keep it organized and Jeff has talked about few things but nothing is set in stone.

One thing I will say is that personal attacks on members, players, recruits or thier families will not be tolerated.

We are here to help

• Options
    RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well darn. Nobody asked me to be a mod.

• Options
    edited March 2019

Maybe the mod squad can stay on Jeff (who, in turn, can stay on the IT group) to fix the software issues, since I didn't get any notification of your response to my comment, and I assume no one does now, even though we used to, and even though the IT guys deny that was ever the case.

• Options
    edited March 2019

Censorship is not what I or the others are about. I personally do not like or want to delete posts or threads. Very seldom will you see me do it and if I do there will be an explanation as to why.

You should own what you post.

I am sure @Kasey and @Teddy will chime in also

• Options

@YaleDawg. I'm currently on the home page, using a MacBook, and I don't see any rules "pinned to the top."

It's not a big deal, since I don't need any rules to know how to comport myself in an internet forum. Just mentioning this in case you want to expand upon your comment for the benefit of others who may be in the same boat.

• Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can @Kasey delete anything @nycdawg posts? Is that acceptable? Asking for a friend...

• Options

Sorry to say but way above my pay grade. Believe me you are not alone. Vanilla Forums is freeware sometimes you get what you don't pay for or vice versa

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod
    edited March 2019

I use a Mac only, and they used to stay at the top of each category. I X' d them out one time and they stayed hidden. The only time I see them now is when I log out. They are there, but just not visible to those that may have X'd it out at some time.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So far, two of the new mods have been appropriately invisible in their new position. Another has made a few very professional comments to the group. The fourth has made several blatant attempts to let everyone know he is a mod, while showing a tendency to perhaps enjoy being a little too involved. I hope that changes.