Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Would you fly in a 737 right now ?...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't, and I wouldn't want a family member to either. Of the 300 planes in service 2 have crashed and killed every person aboard in just a few months. It seems clear the computer override system is causing planes to drop altitude at a time pilots are trying to climb after taking off. This tug of war between pilots and computers has to be corrected before I'd even consider getting aboard a 737.

I think Boeing is making a huge mistake in not grounding the entire fleet.

Comments

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They have a serious public relations issue at the very least, and likely an actual issue. I wouldn't fly in one, but there might be a few family members I would let fly in one.

• Options

TND. My vibe is you might spring for the tickets for select family members.

• Options

You can't choose family

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

Used to jump back in my Army days. Nope if I can't drive there I don't go.

• Options
    benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is there a way to check what plane you are gonna be on before you board?

• Options
    FuzzyDawgFuzzyDawg Posts: 170 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

FWIW, the Boeing 737 MAX is a replacement for Boeing 737NG or New Generation aircraft (737-700, 737-800 and 737-900). The 737NG version is quite safe. I'm not sure how you visually identify NG from a MAX. Delta Air Lines only flies the older version. Of U.S. carriers, Southwest, United and American have the MAX versions mixed in with their fleets. So, look before you book. Ask before you check in if you've already booked. Here's a CNN list of world wide users: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/11/africa/max-8-operations-roundup-intl/index.html

• Options

TND. I recently told a brother in law if he wasn't married to my sister I'd kill him. At that moment I meant it.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've seen reports where pilots submitted complaints that the nose pitched downward after takeoff. The planes should be grounded until it's sorted.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

*nervously checks flights for next week*

I’m all good it appears

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And just like that, the United States issued an emergency order to ground all Boeing 737 Max 8 and Max 9 aircraft "until further notice".

• Options

Well that settles it, nobody has to worry about whether they're buying a ticket on a nose diver, for now at least.

• Options

Yale. I read the same things. It seems clear the problem lies with the computer override system. It is designed to make automatic adjustments, it seems pilots end up fighting the computer for control.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Read an article that said some modifications to the engine making it more fuel efficient also moved the center of gravity causing the plane's nose to naturally rise (CG is a big deal with airplanes). The software is designed to automatically counteract that and bring the nose down. On takeoff, you don't want the nose to dip because you lose airspeed. Anyway, I am sure this will get fixed and people will forever freak out about flying on the Max 8. I'll bet a soda Boeing renames the updated aircraft to something different.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Were you told not to speak to your cousin in that manner again?

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Do I have a parachute?

• Options
  • Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@Kasey takes matters in his own hands. Determined to let 737 MAX pilot know he was served decaf instead of regular coffee on the flight......