Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

I want Virginia's DeAndre Hunter to be one of The Hawks' 1st rd picks...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited March 2019 in Basketball

At 6'7''/6'8'' 225lb with a 7'2'' wingspan he's explosive to the basket, he shoots well from any spot on the court and he has all star potential as a modern NBA player who can guard any position.

Dare I mention Scottie Pippen ? The guy reminds me more and more of MJ's side kick. Heck, if he turns out to be a poor man's version of Pippen..I'll take it.

JR. Barrett and Hunter, there's a potential championship building draft.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Yale. Heck, let's sign Lebron too.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Assuming no #1 pick, unless Culver's height rumors are true, he can play SF, and you think you can help him tweak his shot, then Hunter makes so much sense its silly. I'm assuming the 4th pick here. Hawks are unlikely to stay at whatever the finishing mark is in the worst record in the NBA race in the lottery, but I'm not thinking 3rd because of my traditional being scared deal. In everything I do from here on out relating to the NBA lottery, I'm assuming 4th/7th (and yes, Hunter has gotten to where he's so high I think the lowest he goes is probably 6th).

Would love to get #1 though.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's looking to lead a team of his own. If he goes to ATL then he would be the face of the franchise.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, he’s got a good idea. Possibly the most glaring weakness on our current roster is a two-way wing who can create his own shot. Preferably one who can play off the ball with a dynamic point guard. Not many players fit that profile, especially no impending free agents who want to be the best player on a team. It’s not going to happen, but a trio of Young, Collins, and Durant could make a lot of noise.

edited March 2019

GeorgiaGirl. The Hawks will almost certainly finish with the 5th worst record and Dallas between 6th and 7th worst. Let's hope The Hawks' pick is 3rd or 4th and we get The Dallas pick at 6th, if it's 5th or better it stays with The Mavs. So, 4th and 6th would be dandy. 3rd and 6th would be ideal, we might well get Barrett at 3.

edited March 2019

Plus the warm weather climate of Atlanta and the southeastern United States is perfect climate for reptiles and a snake like KD

CTDawg. I'm thinking every team in the league would love to have Durant. That is the reason for my mild sarcasm. No way we have a shot at signing him and he'd block a trade to Atlanta.

Oh no dude I got you haha. I'm really hoping with Trae at the helm that free agents will at least give us a look. It's been well-documented how little stars pay attention to Atlanta. As for Durant I feel pretty confident he's going to the Knicks.

If Durant goes to The Knicks it will be for marketing reasons. Lebron chose The Lakers for non-basketball reasons. If it'd been just about winning he'd be in Philly preparing to make a serious run at another title in a few weeks.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t want KD in Atl. Hawks need someone who will be there for a long period of time and help build the team.

edited March 2019

Durant won't give The Hawks a minute's consideration. Even if we were a factor it wouldn't make sense to sign such a high cost FA for several years.

SG Bradley Beal might make sense when he becomes a free agent in 2021. He is a southern boy and he might want to play closer to home. We don't know what the team will need in 2 years though.

mantis. Philly only has 67 million in payroll on the books after this season, Houston has 123 million.

Philly could afford to re-sign Tobias Harris AND give Durant a super max deal. Their starting 5 would be Durant, Embid, Simmons, Harris and Butler. They would have to fill the balance of the roster with lower salary types, but dang what a starting lineup that would be.

edited March 2019

Nah, Harden is too ball-dominant to have CP3 and Lebron on the team. As is, they've just got 3 and D guys who are content launching open 3s without a lot of usage

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some very good ball players going in first round. Hawks need to be smart with picks and then for once loosen the purse strings.

edited March 2019

Orlando. I wouldn't dip into the free agent market till at the earliest after next season, and maybe not till 2021.

It's impossible to know what will be needed when the team is down to adding a piece or 2. I might wait till Bradley Beal hits the market in 2021.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FWIW it's R.J. Barrett

edited March 2019

RJ Barrett will likely go either 2nd or 3rd. It's a long shot we'll land at 2 or 3 in the lottery. Of course if he's there, it's a no brainer. Hunter might well be available though.

Physically Hunter might have slightly more upside, Virginia's offense is too restraining to allow his athleticism and skills to max out. He is made for NBA style basketball.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next year's FAgency is kind of not good (Draymond Green is the best player in that free agency) so a lot of what you have to do is based on what you think the timetable is. I personally think it's quicker than it may seem. I think it's 20/21. So you're stuck here. Honestly the right move might be to swing for the grand slam (like what was said above, but other top players added) and if you miss which is more likely than not, go for the singles (bringing in players that will encourage the team on defense), and that seems like it'll be the plan. The thing that should not be done is bad contracts like the one that was given to Bazemore.