Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Hawks have beaten Utah and Philly back to back, in a word...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited March 2019 in Basketball

STOOPID..STOOPID..STOOPID.

Ok, maybe 3 words. 3 poorly spelled words.

Upper management needs to sit HC Lloyd Pierce down and explain the facts of NBA lottery life to the man. This isn't just about 1 pick. If they stumble out of the 5th spot they could lose both the 6th pick from Dallas and lower their chances at moving up into the top 4 with their own pick. So from 5th or higher and the 6th pick to maybe just the 6th pick, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Any rational strategy would include sitting Young in a game they absolutely needed to lose like tonight against a strong Philly team. It's not like it wouldn't have merrit other than securing their position, Trae is a 20 year old nearing the end of along season and there's nothing to gain by wearing him down and risking injury.

Comments

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The good news is that the Marvericks upset the Warriors so we’re still 3 games back. Trae Young ain’t playing boi.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

mqg. I believe we're 3.5 behind Dallas, more important we have 4 more losses than The Mavs who have 9 games left and 8 games left to play for Atl. and left to play for Dallas. If we go 3-5 Dallas could go 0-9 and not take the 5th spot from us.

edited March 2019

GD it, this is just brain dead. The Hawks won AGAIN last night while Dallas lost. The Mavs are now within 3 games of tying The Hawks for the 5th worst record. The lame arses played Young 33 minutes as if winning was important. Somebody in the organization either needs to wake TFU or be fired.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WC, I understand what you are getting at, but I would have a tough time telling my coach or team not to win. I could actually see how it would stunt their development. Now if anyone has a nagging injury that needs attention after the season, I'd be all about getting that player out of the lineup so they are ready for next year sooner than later.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really don't think there's much that can be done outside of playing it out. The only thing I'd change is if playoff teams are resting (this singles out the last two games of the season), is I'd limit players to 25 minutes per game and let Bazemore come in and chuck. That should do the trick. (to expand, letting all those role players off the bench play together without starters should do it) Combine that with the schedule getting a bit tougher and it'll probably mean 1-2 more wins.

It's obvious they don't buy into tanking either...

https://twitter.com/ChrisKirschner/status/1110617302293196800

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All the Hawks remaining games come against playoff teams, many vying for position, I'm hoping we are fine.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Vince Carter and Lloyd Kirschner aren’t part of the Hawks’ future so they should just s.tfu. I guarantee the Hawks finish with a better record than the Mavs, which means we need someone outside of the Top 5 to get lucky on a ping pong ball to drop Dallas out of the Top 5.

This draft pick is HUGE for the Hawks. This year’s draft is very deep and is THE year to have two Top 10 picks. As @WCDawg has stated - monumentally stOOpid and extremely poor franchise management.

TND. I wouldn't have the least bit of problem explaining the facts of competition to a fully grown HC. There's no need to talk to Young or Collins, just rest them when it makes sense to.

It's not hard, there is no upside to risking injury to a 20 year old rookie when there is nothing to play for. Young should get a lot of rest over the final 7 games.

dawgtimafan. We have beaten Utah and Philly, both are very good teams. It's just crazy.

edited March 2019

D.umb propaganda here, it's not very deep and in fact outside of Zion might be weaker than the class Taurean Prince came out of. Outside 2 maybe 3 players, I don't see a lot of superstar potential. There are guys I like, sure, but their upside is maybe a few All Star games.

The only reason why I would like to get the Dallas pick this year is to be over the trade, otherwise I wouldn't mind punting to 19/20. It's not going to matter either way, Hawks aren't going to finish with more wins (it will be STUNNING for me if Dallas doesn't win at least 1-2 more games with their games left) and either way, there's going to have to be some clenching with the ping pong balls, because even if it finishes Hawks 5/Mavs 6 (or lower) in rankings, Hawks lose the pick NO MATTER WHAT if Dallas comes out in 5th with the ping pong balls.

edited March 2019

You usually give pretty good analysis for a chick, but you can tone it down with the d.umb talk. Even the top of the NBA draft is a crapshoot every year. This year the top of the draft is pretty darn solid with 8-10 guys having above average potential. Risk increases exponentially as you move further down the board, and not getting the pick from Dallas this year guarantees you pick later next year, when the Mavs will be a playoff team. It does matter.

The Mavs will not be a playoff team next year, and I'm not the only one that believes it. There are so many questions to be answered to even "guarantee" it. How does Porzingis look when coming back after not playing for a long time, does he even get his athleticism back as a 7'3" guy, and does Dallas actually succeed at courting free agents this time? If Dallas fails at the free agent game as they usually have in the Mark Cuban era, they are going to miss the playoffs again barring something crazy, as the west is still strong.

And sorry man, but it's propaganda to call this draft deep. It's not deep at all. Last year's was. This year's won't be. There will be contributors but I absofreakinglutely see this as a weak draft. I see maybe 3 all star types and 10 starters including that and that is IT.

• IwantMekhailIwantMekhail Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If all goes right, we get the 5th and 6th draft hunter and someone else like reddish or the weird dudes name from Gonzaga. If we do this we are a playoff team next year maybe even a top 6 seed

edited March 2019

You see, here's the problem with that. Reddish will disappoint, even if he doesn't bust. There is zero indicators outside of him being tall of him being a possible star, and this is why I'm going to continue to crow about this draft being very shallow.

And the other problem is it's NOT going to finish at 5th and 6th with the ping pong balls, there's almost no chance it does based off the draft odds. We're clenching no matter how the standings finish.

And go ahead, keep giving me all the downvotes Bankwalker. I couldn't give two flips. I'm going to keep crowing about this draft being shallow, and I called Memphis being bad this year. I'm going to call Dallas. They'll improve but they are NOT going to make the playoffs next year unless free agents do go to them, GUARANTEED.

GeorgiaGirl. I would never draft a player who shoots in the mid 30% area and can't hit a 3 at the college level, that is Reddish. He is not right for today's NBA.

As for this draft pool, it's nowhere close to last year's, but there might be value in unexpected spots. Every year players get under-drafted, this year won't be an exception.

If you really didn’t give two flips then you wouldn’t comment about the DV. You care. You care deeply. Admit it. 😻

Only about a 3rd of the teams will have cap space to really pursue free agents. Dallas has a young nucleus with Doncic and Porzingis, and the money, to attract free agents. I didnt say they would win the West, but it’s not hard to make the playoffs in the NBA. That doesn’t mean they will be a contender, just that next year’s pick won’t come with any ping pong balls. If you could guarantee another lottery pick next year with that Mavs pick then I’d want to tale my chances, but I don’t think it is worth the risk, plus Young and Collins move another year toward their own free agency.

Crows are pretty smart birds, but aren’t worth eating and really only make a lot of noise. Their greatest use is during turkey season, when they can be used to provoke a gobbler to sound off.

It's harder to make the west playoffs, you have to win 45 games at a minima usually. In the East, YES, Dallas would make the playoffs, but in the West unless they actually DO get free agents, NO.

Doncic, Porzingis, PLUS another Top 5 draft pick AND their projected cap space WILL = free agent success for the Mavs.

Existing roster without additions - I agree, they wouldn’t have a shot but those are not the parameters.

Bank. The Mavs will be aggressive in the free agent market this summer. We need their 2019 pick, that is why it's so messed up to not be proactive in assuring Dallas doesn't grab the 5th spot in the draft.

edited March 2019

Stoopid is as stooped does.

Dallas lost again tonight, they seem to understand the stakes. Atlanta has gone from 5 more losses than Dallas to just 2 in a 4 game stretch. If they give Dallas that #6 pick they deserve to lose for a generation.