Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ronald Acuña

2»

Comments

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg it is reported as an 8 year 100M deal because, while you’re correct in the 90M over 8, we would have to pay a 10M buyout if we decline his two options. That makes it either a 8 yr 100M or 10 yr 124M contract. It will almost certainly be the latter.

Something im not totally sure people here realize is that for the next 6 years we had acuna under team control. This was essentially a 4 year extension where we gave him probably something like 60 extra million dollars. True that he likely could have gotten more if he didn’t sign this and hit free agency. But this lessens his risk (what if he has a career altering injury?) and it gives him a lot of money now and peace of mind knowing he is set for life.

not necessarily something where I think there is a right and a wrong answer for him. But undoubtedly a great signing for the Braves.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2019

This was a homerun for the Braves. Parden the pun.

Acuna absolutely dominated the minors on his way to the majors where he continues to dominate. The chances of him falling off are pretty much nil. Injuries can happen and maybe he is a headcase but I dont see that.

This is win win. The Braves win. Acuna wins with 100 mil guaranteed. Celebrate.

• Options
    TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wait what the Braves actually signing a good contract? Dan Uggla and BJ Upton have ruined my faith in the Braves front office. Maybe they are righting the ship.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Teddy. I clearly never assumed Acuna's career path. If you read through my posts in this thread that much should be very clear. Again, it's a bird in hand vs risking today's wealth for a potential larger payout 3 or more years from now.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Kirbstomer. The 10 million buyout is for each of the 2 years the club has an option.

So from what I see the options on stating the value of the contract are these..

The club and Acuna mutually agree to part ways after 8 years - 90 million.

The club exercises options on both year 9 and year 10 - 124 million.

The club exercises the option on year 9 but not year 10 - 117 million.

The club exercises the option on year 9, but both sides mutually agree not to exercise the option on year 10 - 107 million.

The club elects to not exercise the option on either year 9 or year 10 - 110 million.

I don't see how we get to 100 million.