Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Country

Comments

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Tdub0199 , just wanted to be sure you know I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my dad in September 2018. I just UV'd your post because that song, along with Vince Gill singing it is quite inspirational and most verily appropriate. Again, very sorry for your loss.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone ever heard of Nikki Lane? She's headlining the Due South festival in Thomasville this weekend. Sounds pretty dam.n good to me.

@UnderDog68

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tyler Childers sings a song called "Lady May."... that song is about his wife, Senora May and this is Senora May

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm from Thomasville, and I'll probably make my way down to see it. There's another festival coming the weekend of the 27th....That's Rose Show weekend down here. That one is mostly gonna be local talent.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 I love the song Lady May. Partially because it sounds like it could be a poem from King Arthur's time

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do not care very much for new country. BUT, it has oddly given me a lot more respect for the older stuff. As far as newer country artists go...hands down my favorite is Zac Brown. If I ever made it in music, I think my band would be something like that. Honorable mention is Chris Stapleton. I love him. Real throw back style. Almost sounds more like classic southern rock then modern country. But it's hard to mess with good songs and good lyrics.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

I am "old" in my years as it is relative to "new country" music. I am about to turn 56 years old in just about 3 weeks. I have loved country music since my Mama and Daddy raised me on it from my very birth in our beloved home state of Georgia. As an adult, I always enjoyed Alan Jackson, and "King" George Strait, Hank Williams Jr., Don Williams, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash too. Add in North Carolina's Ronnie Milsap, Randy Travis, and then Eddie Rabbitt from New Jersey, as well Keith Whitley. For the ladies? It's Reba McEntire, Loretta Lynn, Crystal Gayle, Dolly Parton, and Trisha Yearwood. That was mostly the 70s, 80s, and the 90s. As for nowadays? My two top "newer" GEORGIA COUNTRY singers are Jason Aldean, and Luke Bryan!!!! More new artists I enjoy are Brad Paisley, Alison Krauss, Kenny Chesney, and Carrie Underwood who all of these make my list of favorites now too. AND??? GO DAWGS!!!!

GO DAWGS!!! Country LIVES IN GEORGIA BABY!!!!

PS - AN OH BY THE WAY??? Y'all can add in this video one too!! I really like this!!! Enjoy!!! GO DAWGS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49FKSlS6M8

• Options

I never heard of Cody Jinks. But someones comment made me decide to go and check em out. I like it. Here's the first song I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpeB8p4b8Sg

• Options

He really is. A lot of folks have no idea just how many major hits that he wrote other artists made a name with.

• Options

They are one of my favorite modern bands period. And are probably the only "country" artist on that list as well. They are fantastic and their story is great too. They did it the old fashion way, with good music and hard work.

• Options
    BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 , I am a high school English teacher and use Chris Knight's "Down the River" in class. In September, I saw Meadows for the second time and met him after the show and talked for some time. Invited him to come talk to my seniors. He is very interested in sharing his story with them. How cool is THAT?!

The song "Pontiac" is what I would write about my relationship with my dad if I could find my muse. It's scary how much it reminds me of him. Also, my pops had a mess of Pontiacs when I was growing up.

I love when poetry like that punches you right in the gut.

Saw dad in the nursing home the other day. His mind is gone. I played it for him and there wasn't any emotion out of him. Showed him a picture of his old GTO and he smiled. He knew.

That's real music...not Luke Bryan.

Sorry. I'm off my soapbox.

Just had to share that story.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

I recall you stating the issues your father is going through. I remember my grandfather going through it. It has to be a “small” special moment when he perks up looking at a picture that sparks a memory. Hang in their biff bro... just keep enjoying the time and digging up memories that y’all share. Wishing you peace and comfort my man!

Favorite song from Chris is Rita’s Only Fault. Pretty cool he is going to speak to your class. Never met him, but seems like a cool cat.

I like songs that moves the soul and can relate to. The radio usually doest promote that stuff anymore. One of my favorite songs by Alan Jackson is drive. Brings back memories like no other every time I hear it

• Options

For sure a great story and they have good songs. I like them, just saying I thought for sure when I first heard them before they got “big” they would be on Stapleton level. Some songs are better than others, but I am happy they made it

• Options
  • Options

I dig the Coe. I hope I said that in a earlier post. However, I dig Coe before Coe went nuts haha. His greatest hits album is a favorite

• Options

he has always been crazy. guy has been in correctional facilities and jail starting as a pre-teen. but even his newest albums have some good songs on them

of all the country and western guys, the outlaws of country music, Coe is the one you probably did not want to anger in a bar.

however, don't bother seeing him live. I have seen him twice. once around 2003 and once around 2005, give or take. he was awful live even then. I can't imagine how hard he would be to tolerate live now. but the guy has been making music for like 50 years so he gets some slack

• Options
    edited April 2019

Him and hank jr owe me money haha. They never did the show because they were to messed up

Correction it was hank jr and the ole possum. Separate concerts

• Options

No Show Jones earned his name

my step dad said he went to a Hank Jr concert once and Hank came out drunk, played one song poorly. trashed the piano, and left

• Options
  • Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My mom and sister went to see Jr in Calhoun many years ago, came back fighting mad. Hank came out drunk, trashed the band setup and slurred his way thru about 30 minutes worth of show. All I could say was “ I told you so “