Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Country

Comments

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love George Jones, Dolly Parton, and Alabama. Merle Haggard is great. Vince Gill is great. Allison Krauss is great.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Forgot about Alabama. They have some really good stuff. Before my time, but brings back memories from the younger days

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you say you don't like new country, then you haven't listened to Cody Jinks and the like.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

The Rounders, check’em out. Can’t forget King George and the man in black.

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't forget brother Donnie Van Zant and 38 Special. I'm with you though. Also love Blackfoot - Southern Rock with a bit of jazz in some of their songs - Spending Cabbage.

• Options

Check these out if you aren't familiar with Blackfoot: Train train, Highway Song, Fox Chase, Spending Cabbage

• Options

Vince Gill's release of High on that Mountain is absolute GOLDEN!

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My knowledge of country music is limited, but this thread is fascinating.

I'm gonna try to incorporate ALL of the above comments into this post. My goal, really, is to get a recommendation as to the one country artist I should definitely check out before I die.

I love Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, and the Eagles.

I like John Prine, Alison Krauss, Johnny Cash, Alabama, 38 Special, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels, and Blackfoot.

I know, but have never listened to, Hank Williams, George Jones, George Strait, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Eric Church and Luke Bryan.

I have never heard of Tracy Lawrence, Tyler Childers, Sturgil Simpson, Chris Stapleton, Whiskey Myers, Cody Jinks, **** Morgan, Colter Wall, The Steel Woods, Ward Davis, and Chris Knight.

With that said, I've played music my whole life, sang and performed in front of a thousand people. I love all types of music, and I have more than 10,000 songs in my library. Just didn't grow up with country music.

So, if you have a recommendation, please let me know.

• Options
    edited April 2019

Ryan Bingham and John Moreland are others to look into

• Options
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Especially when he did it live at George Jones' memorial...with Martina Mcbride?

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ok.

you missed his point. several people have said they don't listen to country after *insert year here* or *all new country su.cks*

his point was that is entirely untrue

of course the radio is not playing authentic music. they play music for the masses. the best rap is not on the radio. the best rock is not on the radio. I don't go to yahoo for the best cowboy boots or cnn for the news. do you?

if the radio is your measurement for whether or not good music is being made then that is a you issue

there is more quality music being made right now, in almost every genre, then at any other single point in the world. it just is not being spoon fed to you on 97.5

but it also does not take much work to find them. I will miss a bunch, and I am sure everyone I mention has already been listed on this thread but:

Chris Knight

Chris Stapleton

Colter Wall

Drive by Truckers (southern rock)

Hank III

Jason Isbell

Maren Morris

Margo Price

Parker Millsap

Steeldrivers (Stapleton's old band)

Shooter Jennings

Sturgill Simpson

Tyler Childers

Wailin' Jennys

White Buffalo

Whitey Morgan

And that is just a handful of the people out making great music today.

• Options

good list, make sure yall check out whiskey myers.... hands down my favorite right now

• Options

I only know a few songs by them

Stone is fantastic and how I first heard of them. I love broken window serenade too. Virginia and ballad of a southern man are solid as well

Pandora is awesome for learning new music

• Options

I listen to music 50+ hours a week. I have headphones on most of my working hours. at home I rarely watch tv and instead have music playing. when exercising or driving I aim for podcasts and audiobooks but music is mixed in too

I listen to oldies like Dion and Del Shannon. I like a bunch of 80s, I grew up in the 90s and early 2000s, I like rock (nothing heavy), blues, jazz, reggae, and rap. I probably list to as much, if not more, rap than anyone on this forum

I genuinely think across most active genres there is so much good music being made it is overwhelming. I am constantly at my pandora station limit and having to delete channels. my youtube has no idea what to suggest to me lol

from gangstagrass to charles bradley to gary clark jr to billie eilish to jessie reyez and a hundred more. it is insane how much good music is out there today