Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Weightlifting and recruits, our lifting program, and a good idea

JamesTwitJamesTwit Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
edited April 2019 in General

I hope Sentell or someone can weight in on this. When we interview recruits do we ask about their lifting routines history? Or if they even lift? 15, 16 year olds many times just want to do the heavy squats for strength and show and not do the thigh extensions and leg curls that build the smaller muscles and strengthen the ligaments. Hence they are more prone to torn knee ligs, correct? When we get a commitment do we give them a work out routine we want them to start?

And the good idea..why not be a trend setter and hold a weight lifting camp, like a futbawl camp? Would be a great recruiting tool teaching kids how to lift. Techniques, what to do and not do...it's very important. BTW what's the status of our strength-conditioning program? I rarely see it mentioned anywhere. ...btw if mods wanna move this to "Football" that's cool.

Comments

• DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I'll chime in...when I was younger I was personal trainer and I actually trained a former UGA defensive lineman before he ended up at UGA. I spoke with some UGA S&C staff back then just to get some ideas about what to do with him. Even back then, it seemed that there was a trend to move away from traditional lifting and move more into a 'football functional' type strength and conditioning training regime. That's when all of these 'sports specific' places started popping up. You got places now that train just for football and baseball and MMA, etc. Clint Boling worked out at place like that his senior year and summer before he got to UGA and ended up starting as a true freshman. So, that's an example of the effectiveness of program that really does focus on the specific strengths needed for the game, and not just squatting and bench pressing to just be pushing weight and be able to press the team bus. If you don't know what to do with all of that strength, it's not going to benefit you much.

Also, coaches have gotten some ideas from other sports and have applied them to football. You used to never see kids out there flipping big ol Earth Mover tires until Crossfit Training and those ESPN World Strongest Man competitions came out and got popular. Now kids are doing stuff like that and all sorts of body weight exercises and hitting tires with sledge hammers and stuff. Sorta unorthodox things. I guess coaches will try to do anything to give their team the edge. There's only so many ways to bench press and every team in the world is doing that. If you can do something different, something that can give you a leg up on the competition and more importantly, something that recruits can look at and start seeing future NFL dollar signs, then it's gonna be a good thing and S&C coaches seem to always be looking for stuff like that nowadays. We haven't always had that in the past at UGA...we just had some old-school (Give me three sets of 10 on the leg press) coaches....I think Sinclair has incorporated some more modern things and it's showing on the field and in the win column. Anyhow, that's my take on it for what it's worth.

• JamesTwitJamesTwit Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2019

Thanks much for the info, DC. As far as what they'd teach at the "weight lifting" camp I don't care. Just start one and get top recruits in there. Would most probably be a big hit. Many of these kids come from rural areas and are limited as to gyms and equipment so I imagine the old school stuff is done a lot. And, again, I imagine they do a lot of squats but little thigh extensions, etc. to build those ligaments. ....hey if nothing else get Herschel in there and let him instruct them. He had no equipment and he was chiseled out of marble. Still is!

Well since you mentioned it, I will say that one thing that UGA assistant S&C coach told me back then, and honestly I can't remember who it was, but I think his first name was Kevin...anyhow, he told me that almost always the one thing they find that is lacking on incoming freshmen is hamstring development. He said, the reason is, that most of the time in HS they do a lot of squats and exactly what you said; they don't do deadlifts and leg curls and things to strengthen their hammy's. That's why some of them end up with hamstring pulls and injuries because they are underdeveloped and they have to spend a lot of time trying to catch that up with the rest of their lower bodies. So, I started working out my client and doing a lot of stuff to strengthen his hams, based on that advice.

"...they find that is lacking on incoming freshmen is hamstring development". good stuff, DC. Thanks.

edited April 2019

Just as an aside... eons ago when cocaine and 'roids were consumed like candy I used to work out at world famous "Howard's Gym in Savannah. It doesn't even exist any more. Anyway...2 locals went on to S. Carolina and the other to Bama. Both were linemen but I won't drop names. So I was benching adding my 10lbs to each side every set working my way up towards 300 and they came in and wanted to work in with me. Howard's had only one bench for benching back then. And not the heavy duty kind. They start slapping on 45's like I do Taco Bell mild sauce on burritos. I just gave up the bench to them. And watched with my own eyes them break 500 lbs each for multiple reps. As I remember the stronger of the 2 benched well over 600. I was genuinely afraid the bench was going to break. I went and did wrist curls or something.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That reminds me I was in golds gym back in high school. Doing my dumbbell bench presses, feeling good about myself repping 80's. I go to put one back on the rack and a guy comes over and asks if I'm done then proceeds to freaking hammer curl those 80's. I'm pretty sure I went to the bathroom then straight up just went home

Well, since we're telling funny stories here....the DLman that played with UGA ( and I won't mention his name) I was training was doing some squats. My studio was adjacent to a cheerleader school and there was this big ol windowed wall seperating the school and my private studio. So, anyway, needless to say that it was always a chore to keep his mind off of a bunch of cute little teenage girls running around and flipping and stuff in their tight little pantie things. And of course, the girls were always looking at him through the glass too, he was a pretty good looking guy. So one day, he had the attention of a bunch of them cheerleaders and decided he wanted to impress them with a big ol squat...somewhere in the vicinity of 600 lbs if I'm recalling correctly. So, he wasn't warmed up or anything and I tried to discourage it, but he really wanted to show off his stuff. So, he come down with it and tried to come up and he folded up like an accordian. I had to grab the bar and hold 600 lbs in a curled position, parallel to the floor with enough time for him to roll out of the way before I dropped it down onto the safety racks. I held it for about 3 seconds, that felt like about 3 hours! lol Honest to God, it scared about 10 years off of my life, but it really embarrassed him more than anything in front of all of them little ol girls. It's funny looking back now, but it wasn't funny at the time.

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Howard's Gym! Hahahaha! Notorious juice head gym!

• CoachDP12CoachDP12 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

I'm sorry buddy. i never meant to discourage anyone from the gainz 😁

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Worked out years ago at the local Golds Gym and of course there was the bunch of juicers in there that lifted crazy heavy stuff but one guy was always saying “ just call me Bryars cause I’m all natural “

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL @CoachDP12 this dude woulda ate yo a$$ for breakfast and asked for seconds 🤣