Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Super Hero Day

2»

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

@Catfish I'm sure you're wary of unsolicited advice from strangers on the internet with no real idea of your condition, but have you ever tried yoga? Admittedly my body pain doesn't even scratch your universe, but I found that yoga helped me immensely with my body pains, especially my feet and calves

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Catfish I know your pain. My husband's situation mirrors yours except he hasn't had surgery yet. The high risk of being paralized isn't something he's ready to deal with yet. He goes for shots in his T6,7, and 8 in the morning. Second set of shots this year. Another few days of blood sugar running 500.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very good reasons to develop a new method that has them available when needed, but not prescribed willy nilly.

Side note: I had eye surgery and was NOT given a Rx for pain. Had the pain ++, and the doctor's after hours service didn't work. I am not litigious, but could have made something off that. My concept would be that I should have been able to deal with a pharmacy for the pain med directly had I needed it. This is not a wild concept. Pharmacies have your Rx info readily at hand via a internet database/service called Surescripts (may be others?). Proposal: Doctor prescribes the opioid Rx. It goes to the Surescripts database from which the retail pharmacy can retrieve the Rx based on a patient's request and fill the Rx. (Typically Surescripts get the info after the Rx is filled). Only change from current system is that the provider would send the Rx to Surescripts directly, but only for opioids, and only where major pain is not expected.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

****, I wish I was as badass as you are dude. You are a super hero. This is the kind of crap that runs people right off this forum.

There is an enormous difference in dealing with pain associated with a procedure and dealing with level 7 to 10 pain 12 to 18 hours a day 7 days a week.

I was called to inventory a military pharmacy from time to time. One time, some (controlled) drug - call it x as I don't recall what it was - was missing. A young pharmacist said he always took x when he had his bad headaches. I think it is easy for some people to make excuses as to needing to have a potent pain killer. There is a large personality component to drug abuse. Some are more prone to do it than others.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone can become addicted and it's incredibly hard (probably impossible) to predict who. There are genetic and psychological components associated with addiction but it's not strong enough to say "X person will become addicted." Some people actually need opioids for chronic pain. It's a last resort but some people with debilitating chronic pain just don't respond to any other treatment. That's why lots of people are working to develop effective painkillers without the side effects of opioids.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was gonna try to respond to you, but you are obviously quite a bit smarter than I am. I can't sit here and deal with you jackasses just running me down. I refuse to go out on disability until I can't walk anymore. You liberal morons would much rather I went on the government dole where there is a chance you could convert me to your thinking. THAT ain't gonna happen cap'n. I really enjoyed coming here and talking UGA football but it has become a stomping hole for anyone who does not walk the liberal line. Go do some real work that destroys your body everyday, maybe you'll know what it feels like to be a real man. OUT.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Catfish good luck with everything man. I really do hope things get better for you. God bless

There is a difference in being addicted and abusing pain pills. My husband has been taking 4 pain pills every day for the past 5 years. There is no way he's not addicted to them. He takes what he is prescribed and nothing more.

I have not said nor want to suggest that there aren't people who need opioids. My point was that if exposure to opioids leads to abuse, then there should be a way to lessen exposure to opioids. In my experience, physicians think nothing of writing a prescription for high powered pain killers. Nothing. That should change. One criticism I saw - I forget the details - was that pain was too often ignored in an institution setting. Now, that isn't the case in an outpatient/home setting.

As to genetics and personality profile, common sense tells me that the issue is what isn't known rather than what is known. Decriminalize all drugs (tax the crap out of them on a retail sale) and divert say 50% of the law enforcement and prison money freed up to basic research on prevention and on treatment, and we'll make some progress very quickly. Society will benefit from less crime of all sorts, especially theft, burglary, mugging (physical assault), etc. Addicts will benefit due to less poisoning and cheaper prices. Yeah, I'm one of "those." Countries have begun doing this. The war on drugs is a joke.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

im sorry you feel that way. In my experience it’s its 80/20 conservative/liberal here but what do I know. Wish you luck